Question Time line up for 2moz

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Row ii Ponty, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very much doubt it.

2. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was amazed to find out contributors were paid

3. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Enjoyed it. Seen people suggest on twitter that the audience embarrassed us. I don’t think they did at all.

Plenty of them aired views I disagreed with but I thought all spoke well & the points they made were clear.

4. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Contributors?

The audience or the panel?

Or both

5. Carlycu5tard

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure what you mean by that - but I ecstatic to say that I had a very dry night - appears we've finally moved on.

What we've moved onto though remains to be seen.

6. Carlycu5tard

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His point was badly presented but he had the basics of a fair arguement. -

Councils can't provide enough housing under current policies so someone has to.

There's a lot of substandard housing which could be brought into the market and capital is available to do so - more so now with people having access to lump sums from their pensions to invest in income generating investments like buy to lets.

However the economics are being undermined by policies which were supposed to prevent hoarding of housing but in reality these policies have failed to take the heat out of the market and housing is not becoming affordable. (These policies might yet work as those with 2 or 3 buy to lets get their tax bill and rush to dump their houses on the market. )

So people can't afford to buy and people can't afford to buy to let - and councils with this new lisencing policy are compounding the issue with high costs for landlords despite the policies best intentions to ensure housing is fit for habitation.

It was right for the lady to challenge it - but once again I think the contributor was clumsy. She attacked the bloke for making a profit - as the chap had pointed out himself - highlighting he is public enemy no 1. is old news. It would have been nice to see someone keep a lid on their emotions and go after the key thing that would change housing availability which would be to build council housing and remove the right to buy - or something.

But overall I agree the landlord did look a bit of a cokc and the lady did emerge the better from the exchange. Bravo.

7. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Depicted a Tory Barnsley. Totally disgusted with that audience. Especially the dick who couldn’t speak without pointing.

John Peachy likes this.
  8. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Audience

9. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The main thing I found interesting was that such a pro left wing area that's highly militant and has been staunchly labour for a few generations was more pro Oakeshott than Labour.

Yet many comments were scathing of the Tories, their want was pro right wing, a huge contradiction.

The thing that embarrassed me most was the audience attitude to shouting down panellists and heckling. You get one or two typically, but it was a bombastic, pretty aggressive bunch and I don't think that did us at favours.

I actually had a chat with a client this morning who'd watched it, not from the area.... his comment... jesus, they're bitter up north. It was hard to disagree with him.

John Peachy and Xerxes like this.
  10. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Is Labour truly the party of the traditional working class anymore ? A working class that thinks charity begins at home and look after your own first before anyone else ? I'd suggest not - the look on Rebecca Long-Bailey's face when what 'should' be her party's supporters were talking showed the disdain that most left/ centre left MP's and commentators have for people for whom globalisation, free movement of people etc has not helped and who have seen no benefit. There's a void that's being filled by the right - so either carry on telling people off for thinking the 'wrong' way or actually come up with some policies to help, rather than play to the gallery and virtue signallers on social
    media.

DSLRed likes this.
  11. Bre

BreweryStander Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's most certainly left - I think he takes the Labour whip in the House of Lords.

12. Carlycu5tard

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I guess it's to cover copyright stuff.

Would be nice to think there was a British Legion / NSPCC / Alzheimers research charity box next to the bloke handing out the £20 notes for the audience to make best use of their legally required windfall.

13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    There's an irony though isn't there? Globalisation has hurt manufacturing, engineering and natural resource industries hard in terms of employment and purpose, and many of those are in the north and away from the south east.... yet that globalisation delivers extremely cheap products that such an area couldn't compete with to make, but which they gladly and readily are consumed by that same area.

If you look back just a few generations ago and compare with today.... what skills are there where fix and mend, make it yourself, make do, make it stretch, pad it out are employed. There's a huge rise in obesity, which suggests food is more than plentiful and being consumed excessively. Technology is more prevalent. People own more than they used to. Yet there is obvious poverty and perceived poverty.

And I must admit, Long-Bailey, I can't warm to at all.

14. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not quite sure just who she thinks she represents - more an ideology than an electorate.

You're right in the points you make about globalisation - it's a natural progression I suppose, but British Govts don't seem competent (or willing) to protect their citizens from it nor ensure that they are best placed to benefit - then it comes as a great shock when those citizens who feel neglected and disenfranchised lash out. If nobody has really cared that the industry in your area has gone, that your schools don't measure up and that law & order seems to have moved into social work rather than protecting your community, then you can't expect those people to adopt a virtuous position on anything else - they've been shafted by their own representatives. They want their own areas putting right first before they want to think about anything else. Labour MP's make soothing noises at election time, then carry on pursuing the same ideas that hurt their own areas. A bit of extra cash here and there to keep the proles quiet, but carry on as normal in reality.

scarf and DSLRed like this.
  15. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    . ‘There's a huge rise in obesity, which suggests food is more than plentiful and being consumed excessively‘
    Or the food that is affordable to the poorest isn’t good for you

16. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was there. It was full of rude obnoxious idiots. A poor representation of our town. Far too male orientated and people my man would have scutched for being rude.

John Peachy and sadbrewer like this.
  17. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Or the food that takes least effort and is cheap you mean. You could buy a big bag of potatoes and make it last ages and stretch it and pad. You could bake your own bread. You could fix and mend clothes rather than buy things that are thrown away after a couple of wearings.

There's been a huge shift in mindset in the last 30-40 years where time is poor, cheap and fast rules the day, and skills are withering away. So much stuff in a supermarket now is prepared or partly prepared and there is a premium on that too.

18. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How did you get a ticket for it

19. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You watched a different programme to me.
    The disdain i noticed was from 3 of the 4 Tories on the Panel ..

A better way for Labour to fill that "void" would be ditching the neo liberal bliarite politics of the past 18 years and becoming Left wing ..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  20. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was on Twitter I emailed and they emailed back then called me to confirm. If I’d realised it would all be Brexit I’d have not bothered.