Rachel Riley

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Fonzie, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Trickster Two Six

Trickster Two Six Well-Known Member

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course it’s a fake, and of course its a demonstration of her views on Corbyn. Some would find her actions vitriolic, some may agree with her. Of course her jewish background os the issue - its what inspired her to challenge antisemitism in the labour party in the first place for which she’s received threats and abuse. As for documented comments about Corbyns history ive referred to plenty of examples written off by many on here as tory lies, right wing press, just didnt happen. So I’d counter your comment about burying my head in the sand as its like the pot calling the kettle. The actions of Riley are an attack on Corbyn, thats obvious, no twisting from me required. I dont like the man, his politics, his history, his vision for our country. I’ll continue to post as such until he’s gone. It’s a free country and I’m as entitled to air my views as you are.

portsmouth tyke and clunk like this.
  2. dartonpete

dartonpete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are but you are endorsing the Tory party by doing so, so be honest that you'd prefer 5 more years of them, and that says it all.

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Wow some of the stuff in this thread - over a T-shirt.
    Some context - Rachel Riley has been subjected to a huge amount of abuse including people faking her twitter account threats of violence actual online trolling etc etc. Far far worse than wearing a T shirt

The vast majority of Jews have a problem with the way that some in the Labour party have been behaving and believe (righly or wrongly Corbyn is at best turning a blind eye to it) . Rileys point that racism is wrong whether it is against blacks or Jews is hardly radical.
    Personally I think the T-shirt was misjudged but if you see how she has been targeted I can understand why she may have worn it

4. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A minor point, but just to add re: Man Utd.
    Riley is an Old Trafford season ticket holder whose father comes from Salford. I don't know where she lives, but as Countdown is produced in Manchester I'd assume she spends a fair bit of time in the area. The born in Kent thing, though true, feels like a red herring.

portsmouth tyke likes this.
  5. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you think she did it for money?

6. Trickster Two Six

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t ever recall endorsing the tories DP, I don’t like Corbyn,it doesn’t automatically make me a fan of Boris either.

portsmouth tyke and ScubaTyke like this.
  7. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And yet you’ve never called out a Tory lie or their obvious islamophobia. Yet you’ve posted anti Corbyn rhetoric repeatedly.

you can’t pretend you’re just a beacon of truth when you’re just posting anti labour nonsense, often lies.

8. Trickster Two Six

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Donny and his usual dig. How unexpected !! I'll put this in big letters for you if you like old chap, I don't like labour ( who I've previously supported) in it's current guise and under it's current leadership. This doesn't mean that I do like the conservatives ( who I've never supported) or it's current leadership. I don't post about the tories as there's enough on here that do, I focus on Labour as I'm frustrated at their lurch to the far left which renders them un-electable and I get frustrated by those who choose to ignore the facts about Corbyn and write them off as tory lies.

As for anti labour nonsense and lies thank you for proving my point about those who chose to bury their heads in the sand.I expected no less

9. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why is antisemitism classed as racist yet Islamophobia isn't ?

Redhelen likes this.
  10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Because the Jews are a race - there is a Jewish religion but basically antisemitism is against the Jewish people not their religious beliefs
    Islam is a religion and anyone from any race can convert to it

That said its also wrong to attack people on relegious grounds just as its wrong to attack them on racial grounds

shenk1 likes this.
  11. Kettlewell

Kettlewell Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Excellent response, well said.

12. Trickster Two Six

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where religion is used as a proxy for race then it's racism. Pure and simple.For me they can both be forms of racism.

Redhelen and shenk1 like this.
  13. Kettlewell

Kettlewell Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is this in York? Ark. When I'm in York I always make a pilgrimage to Cliffords Tower, the site of a massacre of Yorkshire Jews by the Barons and landowners of surrounding area.
    I have been disappointed by the reluctance of York council to create a noticeable memorial to it. Also, English heritage plans in the past for the Tower haven't included any reference to it.
    The Normans introduced a lot of Jewish people to the UK in the 11th and 12th century, to help set up the Usury (revenue). They settled and assimilated into British life,they helped fund public buildings. Aaron of Lincoln funded 6 major ecclesiastical buildings in the 12th century.
    It is thought that Palestinian/Isreali jews were part of the original diaspora that was part of the Roman empire. You will sometimes come across old Synagogues in the unlikeist of places.
    A permanent memorial in York would sit nicely with the history of a great city and it's story.

14. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Of course you are entitled to air your views. I hope no one suggests otherwise. As long as you debate in a reasoned manner I have no problems whatsoever. However, I honestly don't think I'm a pot calling the kettle... I have some misgivings about Corbyn myself and have stated them previously. If Corbyn has done something reprehensible then he deserves to be called to account. I just don't think he has though and his history is far more moral, considered, balanced and decent compared to many people who call him out for his actions. In my considered opinion.
    As to your Ms Riley comments I believe you are still missing the point. For example, when you say 'some may agree' with her actions I cannot see why any rational, truth seeking person would agree to her doctoring photographs to misinform the viewer. And as for it being her Jewish background it's not really is it? She didn't have to fake the photograph just because she's Jewish. She simply didnt. She could have combatted anti-semitism with factual, strong arguments. She didnt though. Her Jewish background does not excuse her lying and deceiving and I say that as a strong supporter of her Jewish heritage.The Jewish people have had to put up with utter crap for centuries but I say again, just because she herself is Jewish does not excuse her dishonesty. It's her that is calling the kettle black not me.

ScubaTyke likes this.
  15. Jak

Jake The Red Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can you please spell the word its correctly?

16. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm absolutely not condoning her actions at all. Did she even clock what was on the sign or did she just see an image of Corbyn that had a board with enough whitespace on it to get her own message on? If she's on countdown there is some intelligence there surely... I don't see she was trying to deceive it was Corbyns language, she just edited it for her own ends.

Stupid and misguided, but I cant see she was trying to pass it off as being original... unless she made comments to the contrary which ive not seen of course.

17. Jak

Jake The Red Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What if Paul Conway had done it though? :cool:

55&counting likes this.
  18. Trickster Two Six

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I understood it slightly differently, having sought refuge in Cliffords Tower from the baying mob outside the jews therein decided to commit suicide rather than be slaughtered by those banging on the gates. Horrific whichever way it happened.
    I did read that there was some sort of visitors centre planned but there were many objections to it's design so I don't know how it fared.

19. Trickster Two Six

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're right. Thank you for pointing that out.

20. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    More faces than the town hall clock.