Radio Sheffield interview with Ganaye

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Wilmersdorfer Winky, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Tel

Telboyred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely agree Austiniho. The new owners would never have even considered us had we not had an effective business plan. It s a massive frustration when I hear about ex players who we might have retained (using the Celtic model) and sold eventually for a much bigger price and reaped massive investment!

Austiniho likes this.
  2. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All football is a business. Fully agree. To be successful on the pitch you have to be successful off it.
    In terms of buying players to make a profit....We've always done it. We've been selling talented youngsters as long as I can remember. There was hell on when we sold Otulakowski and Gorry for £60k apiece back in 74. The money saved the club though and laid the foundations for our revival.
    We'll continue to sell players just like other clubs. Our plan has been and will seemingly remain to maximise the profit margin.
    That doesn't mean we have to stand still as a result. We now have owners who are wealthy enough to sell players if and when we want rather than when an offer needs to be snapped up.
    The continuation of buying younger players to develop us doesn't mean we can't progress with solid financial backing though it does need some sensible flexibility in adding experience where necessary.

Austiniho likes this.
  3. #FWF

#FWF Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    To me, GG always gives the impression he is telling it how it is, with little or no spin, whether you like it or not, in a business-like manner. I like the way he says he's only going to talk to the press when he has something to say and when business is concluded. It's sort of the opposite of Mansford where I always thought "Would I buy a second-hand car from this man?"

4. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would agree there. I'd have done my utmost to keep him. Within reason.

5. Bra

Braziltyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

6. Bra

Braziltyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Define "football person"

7. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have probably the strongest board in the history of the club.You talk about "no proper football person on the board".On the previous board we only had Barry Taylor with strong football ties and he was lambasted by most on this forum.We have a financial director,we have GG who came here with more football experience than Ben Mansford.we have a 4 man British recruitment team and we've also got James Cryne although a young man he will have learnt many things from his great late father Patrick.
    If you go further back in time who were the "proper football "people then? We were run by local business men and a secretary /ceo from the supporters club but we got along fine and even got to the promised land once.Try and show the latest board some backing and patience ,they may surprise us all.

8. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Subjective I guess. As a minimum I would just imagine someone who had played, coached and/or managed at League football level for over 10 years.

Probably not venture capitalists, property magnates, statisticians or CEOs under 30

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  9. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Worrying times. Lessons of last season don't appear to have been learned from. Summer is the time all football fans at least have blind optimism for what's ahead for their club but it's very hard for us. Nobody on our board or coaching staff has any experience of English football. We've got another head coach but this time one who can't speak fluent English, to be helped by guys from regional German leagues. We have no older head experience players to pass on their knowledge to the younger lads and keep an eye on them. We have 400 quid season passes on sale for our reduced capacity ground, with the full pre season schedule still not known. No sign of getting the new kit for the warm weather season. It's all a bit **** at the moment.

onlyonesteviecooper likes this.
  10. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    If it was anyone else with 2 assists and 0 goals despite playing almost the entire season no-one would bat an eyelid. Thanks Adam for some wonderful memories but it was the right time to part ways.

11. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When did we ever have that?

12. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair challenge, but I think we've always had it in some capacity. Whether it's been in the managers, or administrators, or lifelong reds. You might not have rated it, but It's been something. We now have **** all. I feel no connection to the Club whatsoever right now.

13. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Love hammill to bits and he’s right to be remembered as a club legend but based on last seasons form i don’t get people’s expectations that he’d take Div 1 by storm. I honestly think his match winning days are probably over but I’m happy in the knowledge that we saw his greatest moments on a football pitch happen when wearing a reds shirt.

plug likes this.
  14. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why does it matter that the assistant coaches are from the german lower leagues? Presumably they've got their coaching badges and have the advantage of coming from a country whose coaching pedigree and abilities in gelling teams into formidable units is somewhat more impressive than ours.
    Harsley.....equally obscure but as soon as he goes elsewhere there are some holding him up as some great white hope we've missed out on.

Gordon Owen likes this.
  15. MonkeyRed

MonkeyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My concerns about things at the moment certainly aren't part of an agenda and there are a lot of reasoned posters on here who are similarly cautious with regards praising a lot of what's coming out of the club at the moment.

I agree we need to wait and see how things pan out and hopefully in 12 months time we'll have watched some exciting football with things rosy off the pitch.

But I think many questions being raised are justified. For example, was it the right decision for non-experts to release a club legend in Hammill prior to a new coaching team being appointed? Do the board realise we may have to drastically overhaul the squad to play the way they want at great expense? And is bringing in a coach who must adapt to a new country, either moving his family over or leaving them behind, let alone a new working environment and culture, really the most likely pathway to success for a club with our resources?

Wiggy and Gally like this.
  16. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I keep saying that Stendel, as with any other manager is a gamble. I fully agree about Hammill. I just don't see the need to criticise until there's cause to. At the moment it's wait and see and my glass is half full.

MonkeyRed likes this.
  17. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Best news of the night. Bye, bye Georgie.

Redstone and Atac like this.
  18. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So are we that parochial that we have to have someone from Barnsley in the club's hierarchy?

John Dennis was more of a BFC man than the Cryne family ever were but I didn't have an identity crisis when he lost the club.

The previous owner was an accountant. Don't know what his son did before becoming more involved with the club but are you honestly saying that the previous owners had better credentials than people who also own a champions league club?

topref likes this.
  19. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, liked that. Simple, straightforward and no nonsense. I would have liked more probing on the Knasmullner situation but there you go.

20. onelove red

onelove red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    shoot me down if u want. I like GG, great interview
    always come across well to me , looking forward to season starting now . hope the new staff can get our lads fit because I think that was a major factor in our downfall last season .

topref likes this.