Reading between lines ........ a reverse performance

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Young Nudger, Oct 31, 2017.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I doubt we will ever play as badly and score so many goals.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  2. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thought we had a good last 20 minutes, Bradshaw and Moncur made a difference when they came on. Certainly not a classic 4-2 game. I thought their first goal was a brilliant ball in from the full back to be fair, second goal we switched off. To give some balance though, I thought the defence were ok and coped well with plenty of decent crosses from Burton. A cracking three points

Connor and Afies Dad like this.
  3. fit

Most of the goals had a bit of quality about them. It was the stuff in between that was lacking for me. The long stuff from both sides was awful to watch.

ScubaTyke, Jimmy viz and Metatarsal like this.
  4. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, fair comments that. The last 20 minutes,with Bradshaw doing a job holding the ball up, was much better. Faster football, played to feet. Midfield played 30 yards higher up the pitch.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  5. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed. Ugbo was poor and we lacked a bit of control in the middle of the field. Moncur and Bradshaw both looked looked class.

Metatarsal likes this.
  6. fit

It was like medieval warfare at 2 2 pummelling each other with the long stuff for a bit, and then we sent on the King's horse to finish them off.

Because my blind mate had no match commentary, I was trying to do it myself. Bloke in front was laughing because for quite a while it consisted of "long high ball, straight through to the keeper"

I'll take the win all day though. That's only 1 defeat in 6 for the lads, and considering that we've only won 4 all season, or goal difference is very respectable.

7. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The passage where Davies and Ripley were repeatedly punting it straight back up to each other in the second half was particularly, erm, riveting :)

(Although that did represent an improvement for Adam to at least be keeping it on the island. It must be the Welsh in him that wants to default to kicking straight into touch as he did all the first half!)

Good, necessary win driven by good finishing. Can't help thinking that if we'd have finished as well against Hull we'd have won about 13-1!

Good performances from (from b to f) Yids, Fryers, Lindsay, Williams, Potts, Isgrove (which coming from me is testament to him) and Bradshaw when he came on. Must admit Barnes has me bamboozled - the last two have been two of the very worst all round performances I've seen in a long-time, interspersed with three sparkling moments, including two cracking goals - long may it continue!

Interestingly, for those of us who like the odd stat, if my calculations are correct, our starting eleven last night was the youngest in the league this year (beating us!) and an average of seven years a man younger than Burton.

We now have started nine of the ten youngest teams so far this season so I think it's understandable we are going to be inconsistent but what I see is them all enjoying playing with each other under the sensible, knowledgeable leadership of one of the best young coaches in the country.

Even with a baby-faced collection of new recruits who'd never met each other 3-4 months ago and an imbalanced squad that has midfielders that can't play 4-4-2 and strikers that aren't naturally suited to 4-5-1, Hecky has us over-achieving again by any measure you like (resources, budgets, crowds, wage structures, experience, squad size etc etc) and was rightly sang loudly to on several occasions last night.

Connor and Metatarsal like this.
  8. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's up with some people - as soon as we win they think that trumps everything else with regard to discussing the game.
    IT DOSENT !!!

I didn't go to the match so I'm commenting on other posts from people that did go.
    And some of those comments are saying we were a bit shaky in defence.

One thing about Barnsley - is that fans will not accept any old rubbish no matter if we win.
    Barnsley fans have been brought up seeing good footballing teams and will not just accept a win at any cost.
    That's why such as Warnock would be no good here.

9. fit

No one's said we were brilliant as far as I can see, in fact I thought apart from the goals it was a rubbish game of long ball in parts.

10. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It did raise a cheer....