Referendum

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, Nov 9, 2017.

1. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's Dearne FM got to do with it? They're a commercial radio station paid for by advertising.

BBC Radio Sheffield is our regions, license payers, local radio station. It's News, topics and sport is very Sheffield central.

2. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think for a local station they get off lightly for how little they promote the local football team. Then you have Radio Sheffield who always get it in the neck when they give fans a chance six days a week to ring in, exclusive interviews, match coverage etc. Radio Sheffield got slated on here for giving Chris Wilder an hour and yet not one post I have seen have praised them for the hour they are giving Hecky one night next week. If people are to rant about something they should praise when the same happens to us. Why don't Dearne have their own nightly phone in exclusive to us? Couldn't they get a weekly hour long show with a member of our club?

3. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hallam FM has very limited coverage as well. If you think Radio Sheffield provides an equal coverage of all local teams, then you are wrong.

4. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm saying a Sheffield based station gives us our best coverage by far and that local stations should do more for the town. It's costly to do radio coverage so I wouldn't expect that. But the other ideas I mentioned are cheap enough to happen. If we got dropped by Radio Sheffield like we dropped them that time, we would soon see how blessed we were to have them compared to the alternatives.

5. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yorkshire..

All Yorkshire councils apart from Sheffield (and rotherham) agreed on this last month until Tory Govt stuck their beak in against Yorkshire Devolution, saying they wanted a greater Sheffield region .....
    https://yorkshiredevolution.co.uk

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  6. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sheffield have 'Sheffield Live' too..a radio and online and a tv station on freeview channel7...they mention bfc from time to time

They've had pirate stations for years .. can't have cost them that much money .. what with advertisement etc

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  7. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would you like to be hung or shot is the choice..

8. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not quite as bad as that.
    The problem with the Yorkshire wide option is that no-one can say what a deal might look like at the moment . I've heard people say "better the devil you know" etc, I beg to differ and would take any option except Sheffield .
    Sheffield City Council is an absolute disgrace and no friend to its neighbour Borough's nor it's decent residents.
    They shafted the rest of South Yorkshire with Supertram..the whole of S. Yorks funded that through the joint SYPTE Executive with the assumption that eventually it would find its way out to the neighbouring Borough's...the interim sweetener was that our pensioners could enjoy free train travel....obviously Supertram only got as far as Meadowhall and a couple of years ago the pensioners deal was scrapped despite SYPTE having a huge surplus left in its budget.
    Shafting No 2 was the dirty underhand dealing that stopped South Yorkshire having a Meadowhall HS2 station....Whilst I think HS2 is a white elephant, those that supported Hs2 were unanimous that Meadowhall had all the links and was South Yorkshire's best option.
    SCC were the only people who disagreed and spent several hundred thousand pounds on a fantasy report to undermine the Meadowhall option, they even spent 6k on a business breakfast for HS2 executives, and Cllr Dore and Co refuse to tell us who actually attended or what was said....it is probably significant that they announced a £300m extension to Meadowhall the day after HS2 moved the route.
    Cllr Dore had private meetings with HS2 using her position as the Sheffield City Region representative on TFN ( Transport for the North) without telling the neighbouring authorities who have representatives on SCR, but not on TFN...which appears like a major conflict of interest...I think I'm right in saying the only representation from S. Yorks on TFN are Cllr Dore and another Sheffielder.
    Not only will SCC shaft the rest of us , they're also willing to screw their own residents as per the disgraceful tree felling scandal, and not in a nice way either.
    Jim Lafferty...Chair of Sheffield Central Labour Party wrote to Julie Dore recently

" Night-time actions by contractors and council officials, supported by a police deployment, are the sort of thing one might expect in countries which do not enjoy the democratic freedoms we believe are a fundamental part of our own society. At best, such actions are a public relations disaster for SCC and the Labour Party in our constituency; at worst they are sinister. In all events they are unacceptable."...they are now using contempt of courts action against decent people who only want to save healthy trees that do not need to be destroyed.

The final demonstration of the fitness of Sheffield's leadership is now coming out

http://www.atimes.com/article/another-uk-china-deal-ice-amid-secrecy-confusion/

This to me is final confirmation that whilst under the current leadership SCC is neither a fit nor proper partner for any Borough to consider engaging with.

W1zz and Skryptic like this.
  9. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Depends how they were brought together. Catalonia has been shafted by Spain for centuries. I think Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Ukraine, Georgia and most of the former Yugoslav states would also disagree with you. Big is not beautiful otherwise we might still have a British empire.

10. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The trouble is we live in a democratic country and the admin associated with it costs money. At least it's not a full on polling station job, it's online and post, they might just need to take a few short-term temporary staff on, looking at it like that I'm not sure where the other £100,000 is being spent.

11. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like the idea of a Yorkshire state.
    Yorkshire will be given the least money in the country to spend and Barnsley will receive the least money out of that pot
    Sounds idyllic.
    At least we can have a party about it, drink 12 pints of John smiths, arsehole our wives and then do a 1/2 hour week in the pit slowly getting pneumoconiosis.
    Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire.