Repeating a Lie in The Hope it Becomes True

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jimmy viz, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Marlon and churtonred like this.
  2. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I haven't opened the link but when you say lying scumbag, are you referring to every single politician?

3. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    "Repeating a lie in the hope it becomes true

Works for religion

4. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some politicians on all sides of the political spectrum are principled caring people your cynical views say more about you than then.

madmark62 likes this.
  5. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't believe the figures, I never did but there is no doubting that we are net contributors to the EU. Whether any of the money we save by leaving the EU is redistributed to the NHS remains to be seen.

7. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like I said not a comment about leaving the EU. We should just get on with that but all this lying about giving any money saved to the NHS is still that.

8. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interesting dynamics. Tory conference 2-3 weeks off, and the Maybot about to give what's flagged up as a game-changing speech on Friday about brexit progress. Have to say I'll believe that when I hear it - her speeches are machine-like and lacking in any detail usually. But Boris clearly feels pressured into making his bid for power now, before the game goes away from him!

Kettlewell and Jimmy viz like this.
  9. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The fact that we send £350 million to the EU each week has never been in dispute, the counter argument is simply that we get some of that money back through the rebate and things like farming subsidies. The government will have £350 million to budget - where they choose to allocate this remains to be seen.

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Comprehensively shown to be a inaccurate

https://fullfact.org/europe/membership-fee-eu/

Repeating a lie clearly does work...

Snaptin, Kettlewell and madmark62 like this.
  11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think we can call it a lie until we're out and not redistributing a penny to the NHS. The figure itself is misleading because that figure doesn't account for what we get back.

The problem the government will have is that during the referendum campaign Boris wasn't speaking on behalf of them, in fact he was (technically) on the other side so he was in no position to make any commitments. Now he is speaking on behalf of the government.

Kettlewell likes this.
  12. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let's be reight though, most leavers weren't voting based on economic issues.

churtonred likes this.
  13. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The link you posted specifically mentions the rebate, which I acknowledged. The gross payment is £350m, the rebate is then deducted.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So we don't pay 350 million quid a week. Fact check is independent and non partisan and they get it nowhere near that figure.

I was in Tesco last night. I bought some wine for 6.99 it said reduced from 9.99 did I pay 6.99 or 9.99?

15. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    But the analogy only would be correct if you paid 9.99, Tesco kept the wine, gave you 3 back and also told you what you could and could not spend it on!

Just joking and fed up with this 350m nonsense constantly being dredged up by both sides. Most people saw it for what it was and anyone who thinks it made that much diference to the outcome is simply wrong. Remainers have a valid point about inaccuracy but conveniently forget the Osborne/Carney claims of instant recession. Both sides lied both through exaggerated claims and ommisions.

The reality is we are net contributors (2nd largest) after Germany and France will have to pick up the mantle when we go ( that is the France with a bigger defict to GDP ration the even the UK has). The EU with a 4 Trillion euro debt and 60bn QE per month. program that the ECB led by Draghi have no idea how to wean the EU off. The so called growth ( Junckers' / Draghi's latest utterances) is a lie as it is based on QE and bond selling .NO wonder they are desperate to make out we are in the weakest place. That said no-one should be crowing on either side of the divide since EU and UK will suffer short to medium term.

16. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Boris is dredging it up by lying again. There is a world of difference from the inexact science of economic projection and outright lies. The 350 million quid is an outright lie. He is not fit to hold public office and should be prosecuted instead of maneuvering ever so obviously to replace May.

I asked my mam and dad if they believed tbe 350 million quid claim (both leave voters) they both said they did at tbe time. I'm sure they weren't the only ones.

17. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The £350m gets dragged up all the time simply because the leave campaign won, most people surely realised this was a hypothetical statement? But what about George Osbourne's statements about recessions and unemployment if the country voted to leave? Economic growth steady away, practically full employment, 700000 job vacancies that companies are struggling to fill?

The bigger problem in this country is wages and what people can actually do in their lives, nowt to do with Brexit, quality of life here has continued to be eroded and we're at the point where people will start to revolt. My wage is exactly the same as it was in 2012, I'm not struggling but I have began to notice my money not going as far as it once did, although those who reckon they are 25% poorer over the same timescale are talking sh*t, believing what they read, it's much more subtle than that.

18. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Hmm !! Did you also ask them if that was the sole or main reason they voted leave or if if had never been mentioned they would have voted remain?
    Also I gave one example incidentally from the Chancellor at the time so you would have thought he should have had more than an "economic projection" i.e. 'guess' to back up the threat as he repeated it many times . AThe 350 figure was a " could" not a "will" which could be spent if the Govt so decided. Same argument re the recession .

How about all these from project fear....
    European Council President Donald Tusk, said western political civilisation would be destroyed if the UK voted ‘Leave’. As I am sitting here writing this article, and as you are currently reading this, it is safe to say western political civilisation has not ended. Therefore, we must conclude this was a ‘Remain’ lie.

David Cameron implied in a speech about the “serried rows of white headstones” that World War 3 would be upon us if Brexit occurred. The last time I checked the UK had not invaded Poland or any other country, and therefore we must conclude this was a lie.

George Osborne predicted tax rises and spending cuts would be implemented. To date, no changes to the planned tax rates or public spending have been implemented. So, another lie, and thankfully after his sacking Osborne is no longer in a position create his ‘punishment budget’.

Despite Anna Soubry’s claim to the contrary on a recent Question Time appearance, Remainers did suggest there would be an immediate Brexit recession. No recession to date, in fact the OECD now believes the UK economy will grow 1.8% this year, up 0.1% on its pre-referendum estimate. Even Mark Carney, the Governor of the Bank of England, now admits he is “quietly optimistic” about Brexit.
    Both sides lied through their teeth stop being so selective to suit your agenda.

3 million people in the UK will lose their jobs was the fictitious figure banded about. However, in July the claimant count fell by 8,600 to 763,600, despite an expected rise of 9,500. Another lie.

“A dangerous fantasy” is how Nick Clegg described Nigel Farage’s claim of EU plans to create an army. Barely three months on from the Referendum, Juncker has proposed an EU Army. I’m looking forward to Nick Clegg’s next apology video like the one he made after his last whopper.

We were told companies would leave the UK in their droves, especially in the car industry. There is no sign of this, and UK car manufacturing achieving its 12th successive month of growth in July, with production passing one million units in seven months for the first time in 12 years. Lie number 7.

Geddiswasguud likes this.
  19. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It gets dredged up because Boris has chosen to repeat the lie. He should be in prison not parliament. He has dragged it up again no one else.

20. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It wasn't a lie though, we DO send £350m to the EU, we COULD spend it on the NHS