Sacked for winning by too big a margain

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by LDRed, Jun 15, 2017.

1. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
  2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe that was Johnno's MO. Show respect to your opponents by letting them beat you and keep your job.

3. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Obviously can't comment on this particular case but I have witnessed both ends of this in games my daughter has played in. With one of her clubs, I watched her team go 10-0 up, and yet the coaches still didn't bring the sub who wasn't a great footballer on, until the last 10 minutes.

Last season, she played in a team Vs a team that really should have been playing at a much higher level. My daughter's team only had 10 players, one of whom was playing through illness. The other team sailed to a 22-0 lead, and it was only when our players started getting upset, that the manager did anything to adjust the performance.

Later in the season they played a side that was also too good for the league (two sides were streets ahead of the other 10 teams in the league). Not only did they go on to score at every opportunity, their players insisted on a full team celebration after every goal. It was humiliating and disrespectful, and in spite of being reported to the FA, in the return fixture, instead of calming down their celebrations, they started doing Steve Cooper-esque celebrations, and also set up a "Bowling Alley" celebration.

When our coaching staff pointed out how distasteful it was we were told to "f#ck off, they're 16 years old enjoying themselves"

No regard for the other 16 year olds who were turning up, playing decent football, but having their noses rubbed in it, simply for being placed in a division where 2 teams should't have been.

Coaches need to know that their first obligation (in Junior football ) is to keep players playing, not win.

4. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sport for kids should be fun. Too many saddos live vicariously through their kids because they have nowt to live for in their own lives.

5. ske

skellatyke Active Member

fastest paperboy in yorkshire (newsagent)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My lad went through every age group with junior football, never the biggest or best team but he did 10 years with them , infact they didn,t play last season, but they have all missed it and now reforming in the mens league this season coming , anyway, I can relate to a heavy beating couple of years ago, we were 18-0 down at half time, down to 10 men and one of them injured , and at half time it was mentioned by some parents and the Ref , who was ours on the day, that we should pack in and forfeit the game.. I went mad you don,t just give up because the going gets tough and your losing . the other team were not rubbing our noses in it by any means, and when the 2nd half started we had a couple of chances, we lost 25-0 in the end but I can honestly say ive never been as proud of my lad playing football as i was that day. Its good to win but the team spirit shown by them lads that day was fantastic, and at the end of the game the parents who wanted them to quit , clapped them off, funny game football