SAS who dares wins

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by judith charmers, Aug 14, 2020.

1. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I'm not suggesting we are, never have done, I'm just suggesting there should not ( but I know their is) discrimination based on a pigment, but tackling discrimination and equality with discrimination and equality doesnt add up. I dont believe in quotas, I believe if you work hard, study hard, try hard this shouldnt go against you because of your colour, just as I dont think being black should go against you. Again, best person for the job, colour should be irrelivant but I aint niave enough to know that this doesn't happen, many employers and all walks of life adopt unconscious bias, i.e its a ghost conscious and we don't know we are doing it, people need educating ( not that they should have too) maybe employers rather than sending " sorry no thanks " letters for unsuccesful candidates they should give the reasons as to why they weren't succesful, it may not fully eradicate discrimination, uncocious bias but it could be a start, who knows

Redhelen likes this.
  2. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    btw I’m all for discrimination against blokes with ponytails !

portsmouth tyke likes this.
  3. portsmouth tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

So am I, my son as a top knot, I tell him you're a man not a girl, now get a grip

Redhelen likes this.
  4. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have a few mates in the police force (3 different areas of the uk) and all have told me asian candidates have been chosen for promotion over white, better qualified staff, simply because the bosses had to be "seen" to be promoting ethnic minorities.

5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Good

6. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Actually, the company i worked for 30 years went the other way, by promoting more non-white, non- UK based and women into managers posts it was unreal. They openly wanted to be seen as a non-rasist non-Sexist organisation. It got to the stage where if you were a white , UK based man there was no point applying because you wouldn't get the job- seriously.

I confronted a manager about it one night shift as i knew he had been on the latest interview panel (best time as you are more likely to give stuff away at 5 am) and straight faced he said " The best interviewee got the job"

7. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Also good.

8. portsmouth tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wow

9. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why?

A. The best person for the job doesn't get the job.

B. It's still a form of discrimination

portsmouth tyke likes this.
  10. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    How do you know they weren’t the best for the job? Does this not smack of bitter white supremacy to you?

11. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s no steam lost in this camp, just caught my attention

12. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Get some sleep princess

13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Ah yes, the way of the fascist right. Attempting to patronise because they have no rational basis of argument.

it doesn’t work, but as long as it makes your tiny mind feel better, that’s your call.

14. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because the company openly wanted to promote non-white, non- UK and women into managerial roles. Do you understand this sentence? When a company openly does this for a number of years surely at some point the best candidate hasn't got the job. This is also discrimination, why can't you see that??

15. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You can only argue rationally against a rational argument. I agree with your sentiments regarding racism and the abhorrent nature of it. I strongly disagree with your methodology and views on how to resolve it. However, In one post on here you argue for meritocracy ..agreeing with another poster that the best person regardless of skin colour race or creed is recruited.. and yet in throughout appear to argue in favour of quotas and positive discrimination in filling posts (which is itself discrimination) Every positive MUST, by definition,have a negative. Discrimination favouring a minority MUST mean you are discriminating against the majority.

Another thing is, if you are in a country/region with a largely white population it is likely the 'best ' candidate will come from the majority and so post of that nature will be proportionately filled by a white person. That does not mean to say there are not other discriminatory elements that distort that...educational opportunities, perceptions of recruiters with elements of racial bias etc. Nevertheless, allowing for some variations, if the best candidate, regardless, is recruited, the split and balance should be along the lines of the population demographics. In some institutions and media, the balance seems to be veering towards 50/50.

For example, Netflix seem to be doing that casting a mixed race actor to play in the series Cursed where two of the main characters King Arthur and Morgan Le Fey are both Mixed race/black and the entire population 6th century sub-roman Britain seem to be populated by a very high proportion of mixed race (extras). Given the recent fuss over white actors being employed to play black characters I do find it odd that two admittedly, mythological characters, Arthur and Morgan le Fey are both mixed race. I have no particular issue with that as it is fictional drama primarily for entertainment, but do find it slightly hypocritical that those screaming racism every two minutes seem to overlook these examples. Arthur was son of Uther Pendragon who was in turn the son of a Roman Emperor so highly unlikely that Arthur would nhave been anything but White. Many of Netflix /Hollywood/BBC's latest productions seem to be cast to fill quotas to placate those claiming racist bias on a regular basis.

I strongly agree, historically and currently, discrimination exists and is a stain on humanity, but equally strongly argue quotas and positive discrimination is wrong and two wrongs do NOT make a right. In an ideal world we would all just see people as human beings Nevertheless, we are NOT 'all the same', as some argue, and we are all judgemental. Some people are good (and we are naturally drawn to those people and some are bad (we try to identify and avoid the latter) . That has NOTHING whatsoever to do with skin colour or physical characteristics.

16. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Sounds perfect.

17. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Diversity is rational, suppression is not.

18. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're making out that other people are racists and sexist here, nothing could be further from the truth. I am and nver have been, racist or sexist. I have worked with people from all over the world, ever colour, every creed and every religion. I have nothing against anybody. Some of my best colleagues were coloured and muslims and women . That doesn't mean to say that everyone of them should have been managers. How is that diversity?

Can't reason with stupidity, can't educate a turd.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Airon c redscue likes this.
  19. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Oh dear.... ‘coloured’????

The last sentence certainly is befitting, though I sense you don’t see the irony!

YTBFC likes this.
  20. Tyke_67

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Go on then, I'll bite.

Explain to one and all how you think a society full of "non white UK based" is beneficial to one and all and how that society is not discriminatory.