Scotland becomes first country to make period products free

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by BarnsleyReds, Nov 25, 2020.

1. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ive been left some pads at mine just in case but no idea re tampons.

2. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    TitusMagee likes this.
  3. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Redhelen likes this.
  4. David_Upper_East

David_Upper_East Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well basically it's a lot of blokes making fun of a bodily function which they will never experience first hand, and therefore ridicules women. It is mysognist. It's as bad as vile chants made towards female referee's assistants. Football might like to token signal by "taking the knee' but it remains homophobic, basically racist, and definitely misogynist

5. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mmm, in the context of this thread I'm not getting an unsupportive vibe.

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't wait to see Will's face when he finds out he's married to a misogynistic bloke.

JamDrop likes this.
  7. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's really funny :)

8. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It will probably take a while until they feel comfortable using tampons and until they are heavy enough to need them as nothing much happens at first.

Quick crash course:

Sanitary towels: come in different thicknesses for different levels of blood flow as the amount changes during the week (or however long). They come with and without ‘wings’. The purpose of the wings is to hold them in place more securely but it does make it visible if you are just stood in pants as they wrap around the outside. The final thing to consider is length as they make ‘long’ ones for larger ladies. You can also get panty liners for really light days that are far less bulky.

Tampons: again they come in different sizes depending on blood flow so different ones are needed on different days. You should always use the smallest possible to limit the chance of toxic shock syndrome. They can come with an applicator or not. The purpose of that is to make it easier to insert. The applicator can be normal or ‘compact’ which means it is packaged smaller to carry more discretely before use. The applicator can be made of cardboard or plastic.

I have 3 different sized tampons, one size of sanitary pad and panty liners that I keep a selection of in a container in the bathroom. I then top up whatever I’ve used after I’ve come off again. In public bathrooms, a ‘medium’ sanitary towel with or without wings and a ‘medium’ and ‘super’ tampon would be fine to cover most eventualities I should think.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Millichente, JLWBigLil and TitusMagee like this.
  9. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Period products free?? Might nip up to Scotland and see if I can pick up some Chippendale or Sheraton furniture. Never been able to afford them and they would go for a fortune round here. Nice little earner if I can beat the rush :)

Edit:This crap joke ....err ...like all the light hearted comments is "as bad as racist ones" ???apparently according to David_east_upper. So I dedicate it to him.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  10. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Seriously in workplaces,. Restaurants etc fine but does anyone think, given they are not exactly cheap that leaving them, particularly Tampons, freely available in public toilets would not result in a small,albeit very small minority, taking advantage and helping themselves to more than they need at the time. How do they monitor the supply and ensure people only take one at a time? Great idea and long overdue but whilst few would consider taking the rolls of toilet paper expensive (relatively) items like sanitary products might be a temptation. My wife has often complained when forced to use public conveniences they have no toilet paper and always carries tissues for emergency (in spite of the fact they can block toilets) If they can't keep up on paper how will they manage sanitary products?

11. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately Techy Nicola closed the border for all but essential travel last week.
    But good thought. Suppose you will just have to put up with your old patio furniture a bit longer

Tekkytyke likes this.
  12. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I had the same thought but anyone taking them probably needs them. I imagine they will be cheap unbranded ones that will do in a pinch but anyone who could afford them wouldn’t take extra as they would prefer their favoured brand. Just like the toilet paper is normally far from high quality, I suspect these will be the same. I also think that it would only be a problem at the start when it’s a new thing and a novelty. If they are always there then you don’t need to grab loads as they’ll still be there next time so you can use what you need at the time.

TitusMagee likes this.
  13. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Prescriptions are free in Scotland. You are adding a layer of bureaucracy and extra cost and adding stigma to women who need to use it.

14. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Prescriptions are but shouldn't be. I never said I think prescriptions should be free

And there is no stigma attached to free prescriptions in England is there? I wouldn't even know if someone gets a free prescription

15. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At Oakwell there was always some in the basket. Likewise in any workplace toilets I've visited. Maybe those who take more might actually need them, just a thought

JLWBigLil and JamDrop like this.
  16. Cap

Capital Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well after reading this, what she went through, I'm 100% in favour of them being provided free of charge.

JLWBigLil, JamDrop and Redhelen like this.
  17. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wish they had them at my workplace and/or women’s clothes had pockets. It’s awkward having to try and hide one up a sleeve or in a waistband to take to the toilets at the other side of school and hope it doesn’t fall out and no-one collars you for a chat. I can’t take a handbag to the toilet as literally no staff carry a bag around. I could maybe just carry it in my hand and not care but it would take someone braver than me to walk around a mixed school with teenagers to do that!

SuperTyke and JLWBigLil like this.
  18. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You might be surprised. Its something that affects 50% of the population every month. When my daughter was in yr7 and couldn't get to the toilet in time all the class were supportive, they didn't tease her about it. After all they do all learn about it in sex ed.

19. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was surprised how unfazed a lot of the kids are, often asking out loud in the library if anyone has a tampon they can have. I would never have dared at their age (there will of course be lots that daren’t at their age too). It might be me being shy but I’m still not brave enough to go carrying them around openly in school.

JLWBigLil and Redhelen like this.
  20. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Definitely a move in the right direction.

JamDrop and JLWBigLil like this.