Scowen compensation??

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by eastlondontyke, May 6, 2017.

1. eas

eastlondontyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Am I right in thinking that if Scowen decides to leave we'd be entitled to compensation because he's still under the age of 24? If so, anyone have any idea how much we'd be likely to get?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2. Journo Tyke

Journo Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    No because he's 24 and it's only if 23 or under.

3. eas

eastlondontyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ah shoot. Thought he was still 23. That's annoying

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

4. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    And isn't that only applicable to players who came through our youth set up? I could be wrong mind.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Regardless of the money, Josh will be a huge loss, should he move on. He'd tackle a bus and plays every game like its a cup final. Players with a heart like that are few and far between.
    I'd be disappointed if there's any truth in the Preston link though. There were stories of him being homesick, and now he's a Dad, could understand him wanting to move back down closer to his family and his child's grandparents.

Exile likes this.
  6. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Get used to the idea that we'll get f.uck all out of anything this summer.
    Probably no manager, no players, no owner. They have however got my season ticket money.

7. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same here. I just hope Josh and his lady are settled here. Made lots of friends from the club, kids nursery, her workplace if she does, their neighbours etc so they don't want to leave it all behind. Be much easier for him to sign a new contract and enjoy his post season rest. Much better than it dragging on, putting his house for sale, looking for a new house wherever he moves to, finding a new place for his kid, moving in etc. By the time all that's done it would be pre season training again.

8. Jul

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quite right. But, moneywise, we'll never truly know what they earn, but earlier this week someone quoted Josh as earning £1250 per week. Bit of an insult if true given that I know plumbers and plasterers that can earn that when people don't pay to go and watch THEM work.

Xerxes likes this.
  9. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who would pay to watch a plasterer at work?

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    £1250 per week is a good wage by the standards of many fans but it's pretty poor by championship football standards. If we're to make progress by keeping our better players we need to look at improving wages. Nothing silly but to a level that gives us a chance of players staying.

Conan Troutman likes this.
  11. Jul

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly. Which is why it makes a mockery of Josh's alleged £1250 p/w.

12. Ter

TerryTyke New Member

I can guarantee that he won't be here next season. His Mrs was in tears at a boot camp training run by a mate at Darton last week.
    He's asked for a small raise not a crazy amount at all. The club said no.
    They really like it here and want to stay.
    Heckys fighting with both hands tied behind his back.
    We'll be the Rovrum of the league next season.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

shed131 likes this.
  13. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would put money on the fact that Josh and Marley won't be with us next term. Headline in Chronicle is " Reds planning without out of contract Scowen and Watkins."

Paul Heckingbottom is quoted as saying " it's not definite that they will leave us but we can't be held to ransom and we can't delay our plans by waiting for them. I am planning without them, then if we get them, it's a bonus."

Signings depend on who leaves of course but again Hecky has said ( regarding new signings) " it will be in double figures.
    I'd like to get some deals done early but we aren't close to any at the minute."

14. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

We could have lost conor bree and winnall aswell for **** all this summer had we not sold in january. Think robo and Yiadom will be off with only a year left on contracts but I expect us to get decent money for em.

15. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I doubt this is true that josh has asked for a small rise on £1250 and the club have said no. It's not what I've heard anyway.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  16. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would be poor PR if we lose him over a small amount. One of the best things about players is when someone not from the area grows to love it so much that they want to stay here like Brucie and Disco. Lets get him signed up.

17. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Key to all of this is in Hecky's statement in the Chron " we can't be held to ransom and we can't delay our plans"
    which to my mind infers that " some" plans are in place.
    It's no good caving in to any players demands as that could set a precedent for others to knock on Hecky's door.
    It sounds to me as though we could have a wage structure in place and we won't breach it.
    When I worked ( now retired) some of the lads would go out of their way to get another job and then come back and see if our gaffer would match what they'd been offered elsewhere. The boss had a strict budget so invariably notwithstanding their worth to our "team" sad as it was they ended up leaving. He always had a knack of bringing in a replacement that could be trained up to an acceptable level to the point that the person who had left wasn't missed ( workwise). Nobody is indispensable.! They all must have agreed their pay structure for life back in the Championship. Unless you are on performance related deals it's no good trying to force the Clubs hand by insisting on being paid more. In relation to what was achieved last season what has any player done ( other than helping us to finish mid table in a higher league) to warrant being paid more next season.?

18. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If our pay structure is completely unrealistic then it becomes untenable. We are basically paying L1 wages to championship players. Good short term not so good medium term. Paying Mark Roberts 1,500 might be good business when it comes to negotiations he will know that he's 'worth' 5 times that.

Players don't try to 'force a clubs hand' that's a misreading. Their agent will know what other clubs will offer and will use that as a starting point.

Going forward with the lowest wage budget will get us relegated regardless of who tbe manager is and what they do. I don't say that as a negative just a fact. Statistical analysis shows that over time wage budget accounts for 90 percent of success. In an individual season you can buck this as it decreases to 70 odd percent. You can't do it long term. No club does.

19. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But if we give players bigger wages than the club can afford on 2 or 3 year deals we will rack up plenty of debt and inevitably be ****** anyway if we go down we haven't got a big enough fan base or a rich owner to come near to matching 90% of other teams in this league. Heard in February josh had made his mind up to leave.

Donny Red likes this.
  20. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We are a championship club we have to pay championship level wages not the high end but lower end at the minute we pay mid level L1 wages. We have to get better at contracts when we are recruiting or le grande plan will fail. Performance related increments. Automatic extensions.

To afford this we also have to get much better at the things we are incredibly poor at flogging stuff beyond season tickets to mug punters or ask to be relegated. We need to get ambitious Bradford sold 10,000 shirts last season. We need to aim for this.

No team in tbe championship can afford tbe wages they pay. Brighton 171 million quid in debt for example. I'm not suggesting we go crazy just try and match say Burton.

I have heard almost first hand that Josh wants to say. The person who told me this is rarely wrong. He wants a reasonable increase. Nowt dramatic but what he could get at say Bradford if they come up or Burton.

We should sell any player that enters the last year of their contracts and won't sign a new one. Otherwise the plan will fail. We should learn from tbe mistakes we made in the initial contracts or the plan will fail.

I said last year that we should sell Hourihane,Winnall and anyone else who didn't want to sign and reinvest. If we had done that then we wouldn't be starting from scratch. We are basically back to the position we were in when we got relegated. Only a couple of first teamers left needing 10-15 to make up a squad.

Last edited: May 6, 2017