Scowen compensation??

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by eastlondontyke, May 6, 2017.

1. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If that's true then I haven't noticed it in the games. The epitome of Josh that really, always gives his best.

I think he'll be a bigger miss than Marley if he does leave. We're gonna neeed a tough tackler in there, maybe Sessi?

2. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on bud. Sadly we are discussing something without being party to the facts and we don't have any inside knowledge of the Clubs fiscal regime. The then CEO and Hecky would have direction from the owner and his co- board members as to what could/could not be offered when we went up last season. Most of the team from League 1 apart from the loans agreed to what they were offered and presumably signed a new contract which up to when the next review date was due ,was acceptable.
    We know that Winnall, Hourihane and presumably Bree didn't rate their new offers and moved on. We now understand Scowen and Watkins have hitherto rejected what they have been offered which of course is their prerogative.
    Some hungry players will give their right arm to play for our Club and will sign and hopefully give of their best and keep us in the Championship at the least. Hecky sounds resigned to the realities of what is going to happen as is Jamie Clapham who has said " When it comes to the end of the Season we will sit down and break parts of it down and look at everything we can do better because we are always striving to be the best we can and we want the players to do that as well.
    Players will leave and new players will come in but they need to have that same desire and work rate that a Barnsley team has." I personally have supported the Reds since 1987. We have never had serious amounts of money and apart from the Premier season have always shopped in the bargain basement.
    I once saw a quote on another board about selling our best players. It went " its Barnsley it's what we do."
    Sadly for as many years as I can remember that's been the case but I will continue to get behind 'em.

3. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Barnsley are a selling club. That's fine. We have never sold an entire first team in a season. It's different to flogging an occasional Gerry Taggart. We haven't just sold our best players we have sold our entire team when tbe loanees and Watkins/Scowen/Roberts and yiadom leave you will have the following who can be considered first team players.

Davies
    Angus
    Moncur / Hammill /Mowatt/ Sessi
    Bradshaw

Squad players
    Jackson
    Kpekawa
    Payne
    Hedges.
    Brown /other young lads

We have always sold players I can think of no other time in my 40 odd seasons of selling an entire team.

4. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

We sold 3 players in january sam winnall conor and james bree I don't think it was a case of patrick telling them to leave. It was more a case of I could stay at barnsley on 4k a week or go to villa play infront of 30k a week and pull in 29k a week and have a better chance of playing for Ireland. He will in 6 months he has made around 600k more than he would have done staying here. That's what we are up against. When Gerry Taggart was playing football was diffrent the financial gap has never been as big.

5. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    First team regulars who played last season and who won't be here next for whatever reason.

bree/White/Roberts/Mawson
    Kent/Watkins/James/Scowen/James/
    Morsy
    Winnall/Armstrong
    Possibly Yiadom

A bit more than 3.

A full 11 plus a couple of subs and that ignores the bit part players. Do you genuinely believe that we can recruit a new team of any quality every season competing against teams able to pay bigger fees and wages. Other teams don't do this at the level we are playing at.

We have gone massively backwards over the last 12 months daft to say otherwise. It's the definition of insanity to believe we intended to get in this position summat clearly gone wrong.

6. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sadly, the simple fact is that professional footballers, particularly outside of The Premiership, have a short space of time, 10-12 years max, to bank as much money as possible from their short lived profession. Few go on to making it in coaching/managing and there isn't much money in being an occasional radio pundit. If the big bucks are offered, they have to shelve loyalty to a club and go for the cash. No ex-pro wants to be a 32 year old trainee trolley collector at Asda do they.

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You spoke about selling our best players as I said we sold 3 in january. And I don't think it was down to the club why they went they weren't forced out. It's dissapointing to lose our best players but we have come so far in 17 months from bottom of league 1 infact. We are overachieving so our players will attract interest from other bigger clubs. As for turnaround of players it could be a hard summer we need some quality in and a few good loans we will have to see what happens we have funds to recruit we just need to keep to the policy, Huddersfield had a massive turnaround of players last summer and they did okay.

8. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Including transfers and loans twenty one players went out and twenty came in this campaign.
    As already stasted Hecky has said he's looking for new signings in "double figures."
    His retained list is being published next week so we'll have a clearer picture then.
    Big job in front of the lad. Need that CEO in to help him pronto.

9. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We won't be alone in not paying (in my opinion) immoral wages to players. Burton will certainly not be paying telephone numbers, and let's face it, if you have any grain of common sense, as a multimillionaire, would you be using tour own dosh, to pay some semi-educated guy to kick a football, unless you were on a deluded ego trip.

10. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    True like I said with conor he liked been here and been captin but will be a millionaire by time the season starts again and an international footballer no brainer to leave

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  11. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And nobody begrudges him that because of the way he conducted himself and the parting message (and gift - the Leeds goal) he left for the fans.
    Top bloke. Imagine him scoring against us next season and doing one of them Denis Law style non-celebrations.

12. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He has just donated a signed R.O.I shirt for the wsb auction at metrodome aswell top bloke. He will always get a good reception from me at oakwell.

13. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I said we have lost are in the process of losing an entire starting 11. You said we had sold 3 players.

Huddersfield had all their players signed and agreed by May (according to Warner) if you are saying we have done tbe same that's great) and spent a lot if money in terms of wages and loan fees.

I have no magic wand or answers at the same time if you can't compete to retain your own players it'll be very difficult to recruit anyone that anyone else wants for the same reason.

As you say a massive summer.

For me. I'm just about done with football. I haven't renewed and don't think I will. This revolving door way of being just isn't for me it seems pointless hoe do you identity with your team if you don't recognise half of em. I will still go and to other teams as of enjoy watching games and have lots of friends involved at various local clubs but have, I think had enough of going every week. Nowt against the club or the owners. They do what they can but we lose out to cheats and those who fiddle the system like Leicester or Brighton. Maybe I've just become an old git and think that everything was better before.

14. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Huddersfield sold alot of players the season before similar to us. I'm same as you I really have fallen out of love with football i dont even take an interest in the premiership anymore but love this club who I have watched for 20 years. Sorry to hear you havent renewed as I know from previous posts on here you have been a st holder for many years. I haven't renewed yet but that's down to been skint at the minute I'm still hoping to before the season starts. Love barnsley hate football.

15. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same for me. It's hard to connect and care about a player when we go through them so quickly.

16. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am not being funny as I agree that we have probably seen the last of Watkins & Scowen, but I am confused about Roberts & Yiadom as I thought they were still under contract & expect them to be here next season, or have I missed something somewhere.

17. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Me Im looking for one to do some work next week lol

18. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Both been linked with moves away especially robo who has been linked with sevral clubs. If the right offer comes in the summer I expect they will be sold as that's our plan. 2 players who we got for free wI'll get us probley 8 million but replacing them is the key. Hope they don't go and sign new deals but money talks.

19. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes it seems to me there are no heroes anymore that vital connection between fans and teams is being eroded. The Joe Joyce's and Booby Hassells the Clive Bakers even the Stephen Fosters feel like they belong to a bygone age. It saddens me.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye 30 years.

It is what it is. I went into the ticket office the other week to renew a couple of mates tickets as they were skint and to see if it made me buy one but it didn't. I will probably get a flexi ticket and go to more local games non league and league. **** me in my old age I have become the Albert Fairweather I used to laugh at.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app