see British soldiers are using JC as target practice now

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Mark Stephenson, Apr 3, 2019.

1. ScubaTyke

ScubaTyke Well-Known Member

Scuba Instructor/IT Consultant/Sailor...
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    most of you play with a real ball or a pretend ball? you know exactly what I mean but you are deliberately being obtuse..... or maybe you aren't.....

2. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mario, it's still the same now regards to welfare, facilities etc, bloody hell the RAF go to war and stay in hotels and the Navy are Miles away from conflict, so I keep telling my Matelot friends, our lads have been hammered for the best part of 18 years regarding conflict, PTSD is taking many every year.
    As you know us squaddies have a very very dark humour, even my wife still doesn't get me, but it's that dark humour in **** times that helps us to get through

Darfield138 likes this.
  3. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And what position is that then? Do you know how long they have been out there? Have they been under continuous attack? Are they just stir crazy through inaction? I don’t have the answers to any of those questions but I am qualified to express my opinions on something that I find totally out of order from our professional armed forces, and elite ones at that.

KamikazeCo-Pilot likes this.
  4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry if I wasn't clear Marlon, I wasn't accusing you of anything nor was I making any assumptions about you or what you felt about the effigy burning. I didn't mean it to come across like I was pointing a finger at you personally. And for the record I agree with you in principle, I understand the reasons why people burned the effigy - I said as much in my previous post. I don't know what the reasons were for choosing Corbyn for the target - it could be his perceived support for the IRA, his perceived politics that they don't agree with or just random. It's all been blown out of proportion and by some who seem to be too easily offended or apply double standards. It's a storm in a teacup. Jesus wept, Corbyn was hit by somebody with an egg recently and the culprit was quite rightly prosecuted but there was less of a kerfuffle over that which was a direct assault on him.

portsmouth tyke likes this.
  5. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It doesn't surprise me at all. There was always a belief that they were much better looked after than we were and that was based on evidence not just hearsay. And you're right it was definitely the humour that got us through the bad times. It's one of the things I still miss about the Army.

ScubaTyke and portsmouth tyke like this.
  6. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Perhaps the lack of ‘kerfuffle’ was down to it being a member of the public ‘ egging’ a politician which has happened numerous times down the decades. This is not comparable to that at all.

7. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Sorry mate sounds like I got wrong end of stick as well .
    I know our lads in armed forces are under great strain and a bit of light relief helps them greatly .
    I mate about with quite a few ex military and most of them are anti elite forces (Paras, SAS) in fact I know one lad who used to curse them for making his tours in NI feel like hell.
    I know you agree in principle that what they did was out of order I don’t personally want them punished or anything just that let the armed forces know that these practises are what terrorists use not the British Army .
    I also think our army at non officer class are under appreciated and taken for granted by all govts .

MarioKempes likes this.
  8. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Amen to that Marlon, all of it except the bit about Paras being elite. Their heads are big enough without being told they're elite.

Only teasing, they're a proud regiment who do a fantastic job. We used to tease them about not being elite when we went on exercise/ tour with them.

Marlon likes this.
  9. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're right it isn't comparable at all. One was assault, the other was a badly judged attempt at squaddie humour that backfired. No politician should ever be assaulted, there is absolutely no defence for it.

10. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was referring to your descriptions of the reactions as much as anything. By that I mean No- one is surprised at an egging of a politician/ public figure by members of the public following that it has happened on numerous occasions down the years. However, public reactions to what the squaddies did was always going to be much more than a ‘ kerfuffle’

11. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ah sorry I misunderstood. Yeah I get what you mean but still surprised the egging wasn't discussed more especially as he's the leader of the opposition. I might be wrong but I was sure it got a lot more coverage when it happened to two jags but then again he did chin the bloke who did it.

Tarntyke likes this.
  12. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No problem. Still laugh at the surprise on that Guy’s face when Prescott retaliated.

MarioKempes likes this.
  13. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why is his opinion greater than any of the families of other recent murder victims?
    There will have been a thousand murders on British soil since then

14. anstonred

anstonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was a stupid thing to do in the current climate - the press (on the right) are supporting the notion of dark humour but went rabid when Corbyn muttered under his breath “stupid people/woman” (she is!) - it was very disappointing from an apolitical unit. Just remember it’s a “nowt job” when a labour MP says something daft

churtonred, bfc1001 and Marlon like this.
  15. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Tell that to my mate lol.
    He got hammered for being in a pub whilst stationed at Cattetick , think the paras not sure which one had just finished a tour of NI and they made a mess of him , he doesn’t even think it was investigated they moved them straight out to Cyprus , he hated the Paras.
    He’s a staunch Corbynite as well but havnt seen him since this news broke , he’ll be having blood pressure lol

MarioKempes likes this.
  16. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll defend soldiers all day long for most things but there is a small minority of complete nutjacks in every regiment including the Paras. There is no defending beating someone up, that is just cowardly. Fortunately they are the minority who I won't defend.

ScubaTyke likes this.
  17. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Think the lack of action from his commanding officer and regiment sluffed him more than owt.
    It was in the early seventies mind but there’d been a few in his regiment who’d been attacked by the Paras and he thinks resulted in them being shipped to Cyprus ASAP .
    He still thinks he got **** end of stick he was sick for a couple of days through it and he says they got s piss up in Cyprus and thinks that’s ehh they did it to get shipped off to somewhere like that.

18. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It does happen, or at least it used to. A group of soldiers go out and get into trouble so the unit goes into damage limitation and ships them off to join one of the other companies in the regiment who are in a different area or country training, on a tour of duty or on exercise.
    There is internal discipline which can be harsh but where it can the Army like to keep incidents in-house and deal with matters through internal disciplinary procedures. Those Paras were still knobs wherever they ended up.

19. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    In 1980s some of the QLRs stationed in Germany were absolute nut jobs!

20. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What a set of idiots. Shoot at the face of the man who wants to give our forces more resources & not at the woman who constantly cuts our resources