Setting the record straight - the ex announcer

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by David Clayton, Aug 7, 2014.

1. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Which Linux distro are you talking about? Ubuntu (or Kubuntu if you prefer that UI) is very nice in terms of user-friendliness. It may require a tiny bit of terminal knowledge, but that's not too difficult tbh, and it can be fun to do

2. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Sounds like you should've called our fans "nerds" instead of "idiots" mate! :D

3. Euroman

Euroman Well-Known Member

Training and Development Consultant retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would just like to say "Thank You" David for the 10 years of working as a "Volunteer" for the Club.
    Your post is one of the best I have ever seen on this "shitty" little self important board.
    I agree with your comments about the Supporters Trust. They claim to speak for the all fans but have a very small membership.
    As for calling the fans idiots, well they were. It's illegal for fans to run on the pitch so what makes them think they can do it and spoil things for the 99% who stay in their seats.
    I hope you enjoy your football from the stands, you deserve better than some of the **** which has been thrown at you from some board members.
    I hope you will keep posting on here with your insight to the Club.
    Thank you again.

4. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Why would you feel the need to make over 5000 posts and then call this forum "shitty" ? Its not.

and why the supporters trust dig? Unfounded and untrue

5. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm using Ubuntu myself as my server, but I'm told I should use Debian - which I might put on a spare computer should I get the time. My main machines are Windows 7 and 8 though. I couldn't not use Windows sadly. Maybe if I got a bit more confident with some version of Linux....

What do you use your PI for? I've heard so much about them and how good they are, but felt the urge to get one.

6. West Mids Tyke

West Mids Tyke Active Member

Retired
    Willenhall, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    dave agree n disagree with some stuff in your post but good to see some insight to how bfc run or was run, me n my missus met you a few years ago in the londoner late saturday night, gentleman is the word, dont let [people get to you,you did what you did for FREE and probably made mistakes (NOBODYS PERFECT) but represented the reds with the best. bfc like most clubs have idiots and do let the club down, the supporters trust are better run than before so your words could have been rephrased in respect to yet again VOLUNTEERS trying to do their best for the club.
    BFC are and will never be the biggest club in yorkshire but its our club,our town and our blood, i might live away from barnsley but i live i eat i breathe BFC and always will, no doubt like you dave this post may open to abuse but ill rise above it cos there are so many egos out there who think they know it all and actually know fck all #indannywetrust

7. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    My main machine is a (custom built) Win 7 gaming rig worth £2500. I use that for most things, the other machines are useful for testing program's I make on Linux/OSX but also for educational purposes, I've never had a 'class' better than doing it myself. I installed Ubuntu Server (command line version) about 20+ times on one of my past boxes because I f'd up so badly.

My Pi isn't really used for much, I adapted it into a control panel for a music system at one point, but that was just as a test rather than anything 'proper'

The Pi is a nice bit of kit, but it's not practical really

8. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Booo!! Funny and sensible is just showboating. I'll snap thee in aif, if that comes near me!! :D

9. Luke

Luke Ambassador to Korea

Teacher
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    The pitch is the taped off team area! And if the fans don't respect that, then why would they respect an on-pitch cordon?

Some people just want to watch the world burn...

Also, at the time I posted this

[​IMG]

I agreed with the idiots comment, but I did surprise me to hear it from "the guy on the microphone".

10. Euroman

Euroman Well-Known Member

Training and Development Consultant retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think some of the replies made to Davids original post say it all. I rest my case.

11. Fly

FlyingHour Member

I thought you were in support of the right to roam? ;)

12. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not quite sure where you come from on this. Pretty much all the posts are supportive and thank Dave. He obviously did a great voluntary job with ***** resources.

At the same time it'd be a bit amiss if the 'idiots' comment wasn't addressed. I certainly have no time for people who run on the pitch (certainly not after the most depressing season in our history) but it's commercial suicide for any business to abuse it's customers and incredibly unusual. You certainly wouldn't be expecting 'repeat business' in any other walk of life from customers you chose to abuse.

13. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thing is, he was saying, in the mildest terms, what the vast majority of customers wanted saying.

14. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    First off, fair play on the 10 years voluntary work for the club.

You were bang on in describing all them that ran on the pitch as 'idiots'.

I'm sick of it & I'm sure you & most decent fans are, it's been building up for years, I'm not surprised you finally called them something, they deserved it.

All I wanted was to thank Bobby for his service but didn't get the chance all for the sake of a few moron's acting like they've never seen a field & some goal posts before.

They're an embarrassment, especially the parents that condone it.

On the whole I thought you did a decent job on the mic, I imagine you've got to be very careful what you say & whilst the rallying cry isn't for everyone it certainly gets the kids & boozed up folk in the mood.

& lastly you must've been good at your job, there's a bloke next to me who moans at everything, Cryne, the manager, Don Rowing, Ben Mansford, the catering staff, the groundsman, Mark Crossley, ex players yet I've never heard him say a bad word about you

15. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley

Is it Conan ? ;)

16. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think so but I don't know where Conan so maybe....

17. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley

Did he spend his time driving pins into a Dawson voodoo doll during the match? If he did that's Conan ;)

18. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Haha. No he dislikes everyone equally, I think Vaz Te & Stones are the only 2 he's liked in the last 5 years

19. Dav

David Clayton New Member

2 more "interesting" things
    - I last said "East Stand West Stand etc" in 2006 - that was Jasons shout and I didn't think at the time that many people in Tarn "gave it up" for anyone let alone the "super reds"
    Hands up about the "half time "results" thing but that many people gave me stick about it I made a concerted effort to stop it. In 2008!!

Thanks to the overwhelming majority who have said nice things. It really is nice to know that the haters and idiots (!) are not in the majority.

20. CelebrityMonkey

CelebrityMonkey Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From what I remember the club did little to prevent the pitch invasion. The stewards and police were at the wrong end of the pitch when small boys started to gather behind the advertising hoardings. A bit more effort might have made it look like a serious attempt to stop the 'idiots'.