Should we have a General Election?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by shenk1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Shouldn’t that be the other way round ? The people that keep telling us that no deal will be fine etc etc where’s the facts?
    Someone on here asked for facts to prove the smear campaign on Corbyn wasn’t true you couldn’t make it up . If you are stating something as fact you should back it up not ask for proof otherwise .

dartonpete likes this.
  2. dartonpete

dartonpete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It's called common sense, if a no deal goes ahead how can you trade? Beg for current deals to stand? EU won't allow it, WTO rules forbid it. Where do you start to sort that mess out, 700+ agreements to re-negotiate in a terrible position, what can go wrong?

John Peachy likes this.
  3. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    - where is the evidence to back up your claims.

4. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Where’s yours ?

5. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I totally agree with you M! (and that's a first!)
    If something is stated as being factual then it's reasonable to ask for proof to back it up.
    That isn't happening with the deal/no deal debate. No one knows with any certainty what will happen if we leave 'with a deal' or 'without a deal.' (in fact the so called deal is anything but , it's the first step in what will be a long process over many years.)
    Why have so many of us become entrenched in certain positions but when pressed we give vague cliched answers but can't factually justify our stance.

6. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In what possible way was that ‘waffley’ (sic)? You’re clutching a bit now, it seems.

Countless studies & papers from the aforementioned experts on the hit that the U.K. economy would take from a no deal scenario. Why should I do your homework for you?! I haven’t seen the corresponding documents from the no-deal brigade providing the exact whereabouts of the unicorns and money trees!!!

Just to get this straight; you’d take the ‘it’ll be fine’ comments from people who stand to make personal fortunes from no-deal over the studied, researched and detailed findings of business and economic experts who’ve spent their whole lives working in that field?!? Just checking, because on paper, that’s genuinely bonkers.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  7. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    My stance is very clear . We are working within the EU at the present time and trade is fine so we can see what we are getting if we remain .
    If we leave however then we are into the unknown but people keep saying we’ll be fine without any evidence .

John Peachy likes this.
  8. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not making any claims (think you've mis-read my message)
    What I'm saying is that if someone makes a claim they should be able to back that claim up with hard facts otherwise it becomes meaningless.

9. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm neither a 'dealer' nor a 'no-dealer' because I don't know the full implications of either position. Do you?
    Which documents are you referring to - what are the names of the experts?

10. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How ********* lazy are you, man?? Have you heard of Google?? Type in ‘effect of no-deal Brexit on UK economy’ and fill your boots.

Jesus wept...

Red-Taff. likes this.
  11. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Besides being detrimental to what bit of industry we still have a no deal Brexit would bring about it would also put the Good Friday agreement at great risk and bring about the break up of the Union with Scotland the SNP like them or loathe them they'll stand for a no deal.
    People like Johnson, Farage and Raab are just cuckoo.

John Peachy and churtonred like this.
  12. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    MF - is the use of obscenities in a post a good indication of the level of intelligence (low) of the person posting the massage?

13. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is it a massage with a happy ending?

TitusMagee likes this.
  14. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, it’s a measure of how ridiculous you’re being and my corresponding level of frustration with your facile, ill-informed arguments. Oh and you still haven’t outlined what was ‘waffley’ (sic) about my earlier post. Cheers.

15. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Three countries in Europe have voluntarily gone from being a part of a larger union with associated trade deals to being independent countries with no trade deals in recent memory when not as a result of an armed conflict: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania when they left the USSR. All 3 have significantly smaller economies than the UK, but all suffered a devastating banking and economic contraction lasting 2-3 years. In one, inflation rates hit over 900% and the other two had periods of very high inflation and all 3 had significant job losses and shortages of the essentials. Their economies only started to experience sustained periods of growth after they successfully joined the EU.

16. Red Lemonade

Red Lemonade Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No deal means exactly that. No deal. No flights in or out of the UK, we'll run out if medicines, no cross border police cooperation. These and many other things all require a deal so if you can point out the benefits of no deal, I'm all ears.

17. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I accept the points you make - small countries like the three you mention need the support of a large organisation - the EU, because of the possible threat from the East - similarly Poland which has benefited immensely from EU membership since 2004.
    The biggest concern for the Poles and E.L. and L is the increasing influence of some of the Eastern EU countries - particularly Hungary whose President Victor Orban is close to Putin. Also they are concerned about the rise in nationalism across Europe.
    (my late Czech grandmother spent time in a camp in Poland during WW2 so I have been influenced by her especially her lifelong distrust of the Germans!)
    Whether the EU will continue to thrive whether we're in or out of the EU is to some degree a matter of speculation because we're not 100% sure what the policies of the new EU Parliament will be - we're not sure how easy or difficult it will be for the UK to get trade deals with countries who are in or out of the EU etc.
    My guess is - and I have proof that this will happen! - is that we will leave the EU with a so called deal - and the EU will gradually disintegrate.

18. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    no flights at all - wow!

19. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can you just give me one cast-iron irrefutable fact about the perils of a no-deal - just one and I'll be happy.

20. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Blimey, you’re hard work. No one has claimed any of the predictions are facts. Ever. However, the normal way of things when we don’t understand processes is that we listen and place trust in those that do; economists, business leaders, socio-demographic experts etc. People with nothing to gain from a no-deal Brexit. It’s either that or we place our faith in those who champion no-deal and, I’m sure purely coincidentally, stand to make great personal wealth from it or at least have the financial means to protect their interests.

Reasonable assessment?? Or do you sing the same tune as Mr Gove with his ‘we’ve heard enough from experts’ dismissal? Maybe you’re in line for a windfall from no-deal - that would explain a lot!!