Site Issues Update

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Feb 17, 2017.

1. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally don't like the idea of a subscription model - I think it will put off new members and will put off quite a few existing members who loiter around the edges rather the forum being a intrinsic part of their life like it is for some, so they just won't be bothered with the hassle of signing up to a subscription.

Don't like the subscription / members only approach either - it would be a mistake to put up barriers to new users.

And I really don't like the idea of adverts - most forums on the internet are horrible to use because of the invasive adverts - if the use of ads invaded in any way in using the interface I would drift away from using it.

If funds need to be raised, and I fully appreciate that they probably do as Gally shouldn't be expected to fund the site personally, I like the idea of an annual crowd funding. Its non intrusive, would probably raise more than a small value subscription anyway, and doesn't inhibit visitors from other clubs or new forum users from ours.

When different forum software is mentioned, I don't have any familiarity with different software and what it looks like, I am not that technical to be into the names of forum hosting software I am afraid. But if you want a good one, then whatever software runs Bristol City's board, www.otib.co.uk would be good for me, because that is the best forum I have used for functionality and speed. Its **** hot, speed wise, and has hundreds of users.

2. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I for one would have no probs to subscribe

The £71:00 plus Vat per month that Gally mentions comes in at £1022.40 per year. so if we even only had 100 members ( I am sure theres a lot more than that too) then that would cost the member just £10:22 per year or just 85 pence per month, 21 pence per week.... 3 pence per day... if that puts new members off then they should perhaps consider lying in the street in an old blanket asking for "any spare change Guv" I would pay treble that no worries at all, for a fast efficient service.

3. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: I for one would have no probs to subscribe

It isn't the cost - that's the point I was trying to make above - it is almost as if the cheapness of the cost is a barrier because people wouldn't be arsed with signing up.

I think my worry is that, rightly or wrongly, people don't expect to pay a subscription for use of internet forums. It would put people off signing up if they were asked to. We need as many new members as possible, so putting up barriers to membership would be bad. There isn't a single other site on the internet that I pay to use on a subscription basis.

If we were asked to crowd fund it on the other hand, once per year, then some people wouldn't bother, but there would be enough people who see it as important enough, or just the right thing to do, to make it successful. And it wouldn't put a barrier up for users at the point of use.

4. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think maybe that we are somehow on the same page but for different reasons

I feel that you like me value the BBS immensely. Being an exile its a god send to keep in touch not only with my Football club , but with the general feelings for my home. I do not know what crowd funding is about, perhaps you could PM me and explain it to me ( and do it in a 'Crowd Funding for Dummy's' kinda way). I do get the feeling that the crowd funding thing is kinda a sponsor type of thing though, and would the said funders/sponsors expect some sort of rights for this. I am just willing to chip in as required to make this BBS a stable and fast venue, it means that much to me.

5. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: I think maybe that we are somehow on the same page but for different reasons

Crowd funding is basically just a term given to setting up a facility to enable people to make voluntary donations to support a project, charity etc. In other words, we all just get asked to chip in a few quid when the pots run dry. For example see www.justgiving.com

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: I think maybe that we are somehow on the same page but for different reasons

In simple terms for the dragon. Crowd funding = one off completely voluntary donations rather than a subscription

7. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think it will be popular having regulars pay to use this so guests who contribute nothing but help knacker the server can continue to view threads for free. People will just post about us elsewhere like on Facebook or Tykes Mad.

8. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep. Subscription will kill this site. I read it for more than a decade before starting to post, and even now I only do so very infrequently. I'd probably pay to read, but because I don't live in Barnsley and can't get to games. Seeing people disappear over the years, the numbers have remained steady as they get replaced by new members. That wouldn't happen if you have to pay, even if it's only a small amount.

9. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about, members have no ads and visitors have ads to generate some revenue if that is the issue?

From what i read if you get 3 million (a lot i know) views a month its around 5k in revenue per month.