So its about a month until pre-season starts

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by OnGoingCloud1887, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There have been approx 120 players signed by Premier and football league clubs since the end of the season, 21 of which involved a move to a Championship club. We've been involved in 2 of those, Mallan in, Watkins out. Wouldn't call that a case of us being left behind by other clubs, but I do get the point to a degree that we've plenty of work to do and Hecky himself has said he wants most of the deals sorted early. But how early is early?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

2. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of the big clubs have already done a lot of deals without them going through. Sounds like Luakua's deals pretty much signed

3. Met

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair point, but we know about this because it's been made public by Lukaku and his agent. Would it be of benefit to Barnsley for us to make noises about our deals, our targets, before there's a signature on the dotted line? We can only speculate on what is, or isn't, happening in the background. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep about it.

4. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Same here SPS. I believe Gauthier starts on the 12th. ? Surely he must have some irons in the fire regarding
    new players. ? Paul H must also be pretty confident that things are going in the right direction otherwise he wouldn't have
    gone on another holiday surely ? . In my view Hecky is totally committed to the Club and is focused on the job in hand.

His recent comments regarding his frustration in losing key players must have resonated with the owner and board members
    and he's alluded to the fact that he would love the chance to build his own squad and keep it together.
    That must have sent a signal to those who are charged with taking the Club forward and must serve as a warning that they
    will have to match the Managers aspirations in the future or risk losing him because that's why he has probably said what he's
    said.

Our perennial problem is the amounts of money available to invest in the team and a number of unknown factors. For example we know that some of our best players have been sold to other Clubs and we are told also we have picked up a substantial amount from a sell on clause for John Stones. Unfortunately the phrase "undisclosed " featured so we can only speculate on any gross take. We also know that our owner Mr Cryne is suffering from an incurable disease poor man.

Until we are told we therefore don't know what the future financial intentions of Patrick and his family are and what's more
    technically as fans we don't really have any right to know because he is investing his own personal money.!
    Is he going to sell, will he want to recoup his outlay in one lump sum from the January 2017 fire sale.? Who knows the answer to those questions.?
    He has been custodian for 14 years now and has said that eventually he would like to see the fans take the Club over if of course they could raise the finance to fund such an initiative. I recall the AFC Bournemouth fans did a similar thing before selling it on to the present owners.

As part of his interview process after he had been asked questions Gauthier must have surely been
    asked " is there anything you want to know from us". ? At that point I am sure that Mr Cryne and his co-directors made him fully aware of the Clubs hopes and aspirations for the future and the budget available for new players so that he could make an informed decision as to whether or not to take the job.?

I'm pleased that he has and in tandem with Paul H he now has the task of putting together a squad capable of preserving our Championship status at the very least . EFL contracts are up on the 30th June so there is a window where Hecky and himself will be extremely busy in bringing in the players of the right calibre who can meet that objective.

To my mind the role of our fan base is to simply put our trust in the owner, Board , Manager, CEO and show our loyalty, commitment and positivity by buying Season tickets or walking up on match days to get behind the squad assembled to meet the demands of Season 2017/18. The saying goes " failing to prepare is preparing to fail.."
    I would guess that our plans are well advanced and it's now just a case of closing out multiple deals in the coming weeks.

In the meantime we need to relax chill out in order to give our backroom team the chance to get on with the job ..starting
    of course from this coming Monday the 12 th June.!

BBBFC likes this.
  5. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It makes me chuckle when you get the comments from the muppets on here well x's going on Holiday. Firstly the biggest managers will have done a lot of their deals months ago and battled then. It's normally from what get's said that the Finance and PR teams need to get sorted for the deal to be announced.

You will start to see a player move Boot sponsors and that's the clues they are on the move.

6. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's this about contracts and them been until the end of June. It's only that they get paid until then. They can speak to other clubs and sign deals. Zabaleta for example signed for WHU on the 26th May 2017. Less than a week after Manchester City's last game.

7. Met

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Keep the faith. Could be an interesting and exciting few weeks coming up. Or not. Fixtures out in a couple of weeks, although I'm away on holiday for the first two Saturday's form the season. I'm genuinely looking forward to the season, I have the same blind optimism. Only under Hill and Flitcroft did I ever feel low about the quality of our team and have a sense of pessimism.

Do you think social media and 24/7 news sometimes distorts our view of how active the transfer market is? I remember the days when Clubcall was the clubs only outlet for "news" other than The Star and Chronicle. At 50p per minute I never used it, and the first I heard of a transfer was on a Friday in the Chron, or on an evening with The Star.

Bit harsh to class anyone as a Muppet for their opinion though Hemsy. Challenge and debate it. We all see things differently.

8. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    ****. We've lost out on Lukaku ?

You hate the club and you think we are muppets? Take a running jump fucktard.

(Prays for lifetime ban)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

SuperTyke and Baldrick like this.
  9. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of sports becoming a big thing. Footballs massive. I listen to Heckingbottom at times and he the rhetoric he uses so down on the club. It would be interesting to see what a non-league fan made of it and those clubs that generally don't have much money.

10. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yay, remembered our gaffer's name? All hail the Google God.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

11. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The 2017 transfer window for EFL Clubs officially only opened on the 9th June and closes on the 31st August 2017.
    The Premiership window opens on the 1st July . The deal to take Zabeleta to WHU would probably have seen him agree terms and then probably sign a pre-contract agreement which then allowed the Hammers to announce that he'd signed.

12. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, I hate the club whilst looking up where Athersley's ground is for the pre season game there.

13. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    You still havent told us what it is you do for a living that allows you to afford the time and money to get to every game as you so often remind us of.

Perhaps we will take your views what it takes to do certain jobs more seriously when you let us know.

14. Met

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm 43 in August. Between the ages of 14 and 26 I made my life fit around football, and was pretty much obsessed with it, especially Barnsley. Changed shifts at work to get to games, home and away, results influenced my moods for days afterwards. Come what may, every defeat hurt, every season I had an expectation, not a dream, of top 6, promotion push, all that. Nothing wrong with anyone having the same expectations now to be fair.

But here and now, modern football outside of Barnsley or my son's junior team means nothing to me really. My wife and especially my two kids, their sports/activities come first by a long way. But for a couple of hours every other weekend, I still get that buzz from getting behind the Reds, though my expectations are tempered compared with when I was 14-26. My love for the reds was challenged by the Hill/Flitcroft period, and that spell under Johnson, when we were dull to watch, I'd lost the sense of pride, the club seemed distant from me.

The level we play at never matters, we were Third Division when I started following Barnsley when the playing field was much more level. I still have the dream of seeing us play in the top flight, but not the expectation anymore. All things considered, I don't have any gripes with the club in terms of things on the pitch. Where we are, for me, is a success not be underestimated. Football for me now is about the dream, the time with lifelong friends before the match and during it, having seen my son get hooked on Barnsley FC, the team and head coach doing their best with what we have. I've learnt that it's not worth me worrying about what we haven't got such as the financial clout to buy and pay for "star" players.

Blind optimism.

ryhilltyke, occook, Jimmy viz and 3 others like this.
  15. nbu

nbuk Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You think that Hecky hasn't got deals lined up, similar to other managers? It won't be all over the media because we're Barnsley, not Man City or Chelsea.

16. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anything done for Barnsley will be announced. We've got nothing not to announce for.

17. nbu

nbuk Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My point is, you mention the Lukaku deal. That isn't done yet. You're only aware of it because it's such a big deal.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that we've got several deals as far down the line as the Lukaku deal is.

BBBFC likes this.
  18. Baldrick

Baldrick Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  19. Baldrick

Baldrick Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What a bell end!

Julian Broddle's Perm likes this.
  20. Barnsley Chopin