So, there aren't enough teachers to fill the vacancies, not surprised.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Mr Badger, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Gloria Stitts

Gloria Stitts Active Member

Coaches on minimum wage and assistant coaches are apprentices on even less and they would all kill to be teachers believe me.

2. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So would all teachers, until they become teachers. Also, why don't these coaches go and be one then? They don't even have to kill someone to do it!

3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whoever is in charge of writing lesson plans for our scoreboard needs sacking. They're clearly not meeting their targets

4. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I do believe you.

But they are not covering PPA, not from how you are describing their role.

They are providing a service bought by a school- a school that probably pays a hefty premium - one that it sounds like is not passed on to the coaches that you speak of by their employer.

5. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Coaches.... coaches who have done a 4 day course at level one? Or a 8-16 day course at level 2? Of course they'd love to be teachers. Unfortunately they haven't had the depth of teacher training. They haven't had the weeks of teaching practice. They're not remotely qualified to the same level.

6. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What I don't understand is why these people who would love to be teachers don't just do it instead of turning green with envy.

7. Gloria Stitts

Gloria Stitts Active Member

Some of them do but there are a limited number of vacancies.

Anyway I'm not just talking about them what about call-centre workers and factory workers, people who work in retail, they've all got it worse. What about police officers, prison guards and social workers?

People who work in education have no idea about the real world, they live in a bubble.

8. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have it worse than jamdrop and co in some aspects of my job, far worse. They have it far worse than me in other aspects. Their point is that their job could easily be changed to make it easier or more pleasant and apart from the fact that it is a really shitty attitude that they should suffer because somebody else does happier teachers who can perform better due to less messing around would produce better kids and that can only be a good thing

9. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Coaches on minimum wage?? Don't know where these coaches are working but level 1 ( the ones who have done a 4 day training course)
    are on almost £10 an hour in Kirklees. That's nowhere near minimum wage.

Level 2 are on an average of £15 an hour.

Neither of these are anywhere near the level of a qualified teacher in terms of knowledge, practise or experience. More importantly they have half an ounce of the responsibility.

If rocking up with a register, delivering a session, with a minimal percentage of a teacher's planning and monitoring isn't paid well enough for these coaches you speak of, I suggest that they take a teaching qualification instead. If they are good coaches, they're half way there, but the reality is if you want this idealistic salary then you need the training, the hours, the pressures, the parents, the monitoring etc. The training is there and readily available - go and get it.

As someone who has done both, I'd advise Sports coaches to stay where they are, with less money, less hassle, less responsibility, but a life that is enjoyable.

Kirklees Coaching rates
    All employer average
    Teacher (level 2) £14.89
    Coach £14.46
    Swim co-ordinator £13.73
    Assistant coach £12.30
    Assistant (level 1) £9.74

10. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Race to the bottom. Then what?

11. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Their lot ought to be improved and of course it's always relative

12. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All these people you mention could train as teachers if it is so appealing and easy?

13. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No there's not, there's a short fall - go for it folks!

I've worked in retail and collecting size 8 shoes for someone in JD Sports and putting clothes neatly on clothes hangers is certainly not worse (even though I did get only £3 an hour). Again, if these workers don't want to do that and instead want to be teachers then why don't they? I did and if a girl from Grimey with a factory worker for a dad and an unemployed mam can do it (so not exactly made of money) then anyone can.

I don't really know their situation but I can imagine that in some respect they do. Although teachers are social workers on some level. (About as much as football coaches are teachers).

People who don't work in education have no idea about it, they live in a bubble.

14. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Now you are just being insulting.

Don't make assumptions about 'people' in education. I'm one of them and I'm in no bubble. I work my absolute you know what's off every day to provide opportunities for kids that don't even care about opportunities.

If I may be so bold, sweeping generalisations like the one you've made show it is you that could well be in a bubble.

Before you say it, I'm fully aware there are people worse off than me but the OP wasn't about lording it over folk or bemoaning a teachers lot- it was about a non-teacher offering respect to the profession. Something that's sadly lacking.

Again, try not to make generalisations about people you don't know, it comes across as somewhat rude.

15. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In a very bizarre way you are absolutely correct, but only for the reason that teachers, like my wife, cannot escape the teaching environment for one moment. They are totally submerged in it to the point of drowning, lesson plans, marking, administrative tosh, all of which has to be fitted into their lives AFTER teaching.
    If my wife is a typical example then she does not get to see the real world, she doesn't have the time. She is indeed trapped inside a bubble, but not in the way you imply.
    You may say, well get out of teaching, but as she is in her 50s and nearer to retirement now, then quite frankly she is stuck. She says many, many times that if she'd got more money behind her and if the mortgage was paid up then she'd gladly take on a 9 to 5 job which didn't involve taking work home at night. That is the crux of the matter. SHE CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT !!

16. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't the key point that lots of people contributing to this thread aren't teachers, and work in other professions, yet see how challenging it is. They're not in an education bubble.

17. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    You know I didn't say that don't you- that people in education live in a bubble?

just checking!!!

18. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, sorry.
    I copied the line from your earlier message, should have copied it from Gloria's.
    You are absolved.... whiter than white !

19. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    phew.

although I agreed and your rationalisation.