Sollbauer stat.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by sadbrewer, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Gud

GudjonFan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m happy to be corrected, but weren’t people on here asking for Championship experience?

2. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, they do. Patrick Cryne spent £millions more than he got back from the sale of the club to its current owners. Most owners finance their clubs via loans from other companies that the own. A few owners sell the ground for far more than it is worth to one of their companies in order to generate a profit that will offset losses for FFP purposes. It is all money that increases the value of the football club by reducing the value of the owners other companies.

3. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ideally yes. But certainly we wanted a few older, wiser heads.

4. Gud

GudjonFan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sure. Just plug your own figures in.

Fonzie likes this.
  5. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But that is exactly what you are advocating. If you do not think so, use my formula to calculate how much more it costs to do things your way. Beware though. Unless you spend significantly more, you do not guarantee that we avoid relegation and the loss of Championship revenue. Everything looks easy when you make suggestions, but avoid costing those suggestions and you make assumptions about the outcome. It isn't.

6. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Yes. I remember Jay in particular making a snide comment when we signed Sollbauer that an Austrian with no championship experience is ‘just what we need’

But let’s not let that get in the way.

7. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm frustrated and a little insulted by your suggestion that I (and none of the rest of the BBS for that matter) don't look honestly at it and that by implication only you do so. You express an opinion, supported admittedly by some logic, but simply stating it forcefully and with some made up numbers does not make it correct. And the reason I didn't take up your "challenge" was that I'm not arguing with the maths. But the calculations are based on unrealistic assumptions (no-one is suggesting we always allow players to run their contract down, we wouldn't offer experienced players a 4 year contract) and therefore it's pointless.

Asking you about your view of Sollbauer and Ritzmaier wasn't about what you thought of them as players, it was about their cost (transfer fee + wages) being additional in when it could have been instead of other spend on so many youngsters in the summer. That could of course reduce the long term return on sales of said youngsters but any assumption that we will always make a profit is itself deeply flawed as we will not make a profit on every one. I'd suggest Mallik Wilks may be a good example of that.

8. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I meant no offense, and as I say, you are not my primary target. However, I think that it might be best if I stop digging now, so I will withdraw gracefully and take my logic and unrealistic numbers with me.

9. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bingo.

All Red Rain does is counter any point by saying WELL DO YOU WANT US TO GO BUST THEN. It's no coincidence that he's cropped up today when Wigan are in the brown stuff when he hasn't posted in weeks.

Not a single person is saying that we should spend spend spend. But that we should be cleverer in how we do spend.

And to say that Sollbauer isn't experienced is idiotic.

Old Gimmer and JLWBigLil like this.
  10. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A little taken initially but no problem RR - thanks. And btw - loved the music link you posted at the weekend :)

11. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Red Rain should be trying to win me over on this renewal deadline day but he's just depressing me! :(

Fonzie likes this.
  12. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair to RR, his comments were posted before the WAFC news broke.

13. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough.

14. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And that’s fine.

My definition of an experienced footballer would include a player who has played three hundred professional games, including games in European competition and against champions league qualifying teams.

I never said he had experience in the English Championship.

I don’t know if it’s intentional red rain but you write in such a manner that comes across as though you feel your views are superior to anyone else’s and that nobody who holds any different view has any credibility.

You come across, actually, as dismissive of anyone who disagrees with you and exceptionally arrogant. I’ve thought this when discussing things on threads with you before but allowed the benefit of the doubt as you do offer a lot of thought and reasoning for your views. Unfortunately you offer no thought or reasoning in considering a different opinion to your own.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  15. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Perhaps we are not. But most of us said at the time that letting Pinnock go for the reported fee was a big mistake. Turns out we were right.

Geddiswasguud and Redhelen like this.
  16. Don

Donks Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your definition of experience is also different to the ones in the dictionary. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that your definition isn’t a definition at all, it’s just something you made up.

Fonzie likes this.
  17. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I rated Pinnock very highly, even from his earliest games. Nevertheless, I am not going to say what he was worth, because I do not know all the facts. That is all I was pointing out in my original post. Even if I did know all the facts, and I was in charge of negotiations for his sale, I cannot get more for the player than the highest bidder is prepared to pay. The player had made his reputation playing 3rd tier football, and very few players can command a very large fee based purely upon that. In any event, there is just no point in setting a fee of £20m if the highest anyone will bid is £3m. Yes, you can look back with hindsight and say he was worth more, but the club doing the buying do not have the benefit of hindsight or we would never be able to afford anyone. They have limits that they will not go over, and unless you have competition, that is all that is on the table.

18. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We all said at the time he should have gone for more. We didn't need hindsight. And if Brentford didn't want to pay it we'd have kept his services, happy days.

Old Gimmer likes this.
  19. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The BBS was full of comments that we needed Championship experience. We buy a player with no Championship experience who comes from a league that does not exactly command a high reputation. In my dictionary, that does not qualify as Championship experience.

20. Redhelen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We'd have loved championship experience, as I'm sure all 3 managers this season would have done.