Southend's Physio

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Xerxes, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

Got to agree.

Mainly because if you look at his qualifications and experience, he’s very good - also a physio for the Rugby team too. He’s a physio, not a player - it’s his job to get others fit, not be fit.

I’d also say, nobody knows the lad’s background - he could have issues, or is just so into his job, he doesn’t make himself time to keep fit himself.

The Southend lads look to really respect him - the captain spoke up recently after the physio received abuse from the Chesterfield media team.

2. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Poppycock. If you take in more calories than you burn off either food, alcohol (or both) then you put weight on.It really is that simple. The body cannot manufacture fat from nothing. Slow metabolism? Then eat less food or take more exercise . Thyroid problems etc. Same. They are just convenient excuses to avoid the truth.

I know I once put on 2 stone through unhealthy lifestyle when I changed jobs . Was difficult getting it back off again but I managed. Still find as you get older you cannot eat as much as you used to when young without the pounds creeping back up.

3. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s a disproportionate number of experts in nutrition and metabolism on this forum isn’t there? Wow. I didn’t realise everybody was so qualified.

I also didn’t realise matters such as weight loss and gain were so simple.

Nobody has variances in metabolism, nobody has any food intolerances. Nobody has any mental conditions affecting their food intake. Or physical incapacities preventing exercise.

I’ll mention it to my stick thin, size 6-8 cousin Amy, a 27 year old woman who could, if she wasn’t so tall, still fit into her first school blazer from when she was 11.

She has the biggest appetite of anyone I’ve ever met. She eats pretty constantly, not particularly unhealthily all the time but no calorie counting whatsoever, and aside from walking her dogs she’s not exactly a fitness nut either. She complains she just can’t gain any weight, she’s had tests by medical experts, who say she has a naturally very high metabolism which burns calories quicker than it would for most, meaning she needs to eat more than most just to sit down. It’s not unhealthy for her nor likely to affect her other than costing her a fortune to live as her heart rate at rest is high but still in the normal range.

The irony being she’s from a family of many, including me, obese folk. I was always quite big, nothing in the scale of the Southend physio, but I got bigger after a road accident (and many subsequent surgeries) left me technically disabled (don’t consider myself to be, I can get around), but severely restricted in terms of being able to exercise due to mobility issues and pain levels. I’m now likely of a build not unlike his, perhaps a bit taller and not quite as round but still.

I have lost weight before. Nearly five stone. I essentially had to starve myself, it was a living hell and I only had the capacity to do it as I’d spent a year getting myself walking again so tapped into that single minded strength i’d had to gain and reapplied it to eating. It was an obsession, probably massively unhealthy, and i gained it all back. And some. Yes I like my food but I have changed my eating habits to reflect my more sedentary life but still seem to gain.

I’m on a weight loss drive now, I’ve lost a stone and a half in just over a month. It’s bloody hard work as I can realistically do next to nothing to burn more calories, and I’d give my left knacker for a Chinese. Or a curry. A kebab. Anything that’s not a bloody diet recipe. I’d also like to go back to my daughter’s 4th birthday last week and not make her cry by not eating any of her party food or birthday cake.

I’m glad that we have so many understanding and supportive people. None of the people judging and mocking will be smokers of course; none of them will drink ten times the recommended alcohol intake on a weekly basis. None of them will take any other substances. None of them will be in the obese range themselves.

So the guy is fat. I’d wager at least 30% of the crowd were. More most likely. He obviously enjoys a burger and a pie. That does absolutely nothing to lessen his ability to assess and rehabilitate soft tissue, muscle or bone injuries and I applaud Southend United for employing him. It would probably have been easier to not do so. And whilst he outwardly seemed to embrace the ‘jesting’, in the quiet at home he might be severely depressed, unable to find any other outlet to assist in his woes and taking comfort in food.

But of course that’s just a choice. Nobody has anything which restricts their ability to make any kind of rational decision.

Don’t get me wrong, he might just be a greedy ******* and not give a flying fook what anyone says or thinks. But he might not be either. It is not fair to be so cruel or judgmental.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  4. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Actually I would be more inclined to blame the free market lessez faire capitalism which is ok to advertise the sh@t out of kids tv pushing unhealthy sugar invested crap to the nation. Then to blame people for eating too many calories is just sad.

5. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m sorry but to boil down the western obesity epidemic down to “lifestyle choice” is beyond idiotic. All those millions of people who are obese now compared to 30 years ago is randomly due to their individual choices? Ooooookaaaaay......

6. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't say I was offended. Just bored / embarrassed that in 2018 I'm still hearing chants of "you fat *******" at anything other than a Cud reunion gig.

Dodgy Back Tyke and TitusMagee like this.
  7. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is... i knew a bloke whos thyroid glands went haywire.

Caused chronic weight gain and eventually killed him.

But examples like that a few and far between.

8. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't recall seeing any post within this thread where the poster has been "offended" either. People think it's wrong but that's different to all the faux outrage we tend to see.

9. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I blame Brexit & the january 2016 transfer window , they have caused most of life"s problems .

10. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It's a fair point but as you get older and see the weight increase and start to struggle with your own weight then it really is on the individual. Who chooses to keep over eating and potentially shortening their own life and 0laces a further strain on the health care system in this country. As I've said I have got my weight under control but this doesn't change the fact in was guilty of this myself for years.
    You touch on a very good point though, people need educating it's shocking how many people just don't understand how calories work. I've met people who think if they eat a salad it makes up for the bad stuff.

11. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well OK, there's issues such as sugar addiction etc. but on a fundamental level people are overweight because of an imbalance between calorie intake and calorie expenditure

Redstone likes this.
  12. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I think most people, myself included, would NOT feel the need to publicly mock anyone who is obese.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, apologists making excuses for people who put their own health at risk, cause huge additional costs to the already struggling NHS, inconvenience people on, for example, public transport (have you ever flown sitting next to someone 20st+ taking up half your space as well as their own) are part of the problem.

Making excuses allows widespread obesity to become socially acceptable.

I agree there are many 'hidden' reasons why a minority of people allow themselves to get into that state including mental issues, low self esteem etc. but there are NO , I repeat NO physical reasons to get into the state of being morbidly or clinically obese. IN most cases it is just lack of willpower and laziness.

It is true that people's genes impact on the propensity to gain weight and the opposite can and does apply . My wife and I were both 'stick insects' in our younger days(I was 6ft 1in and 9 stone until I was about 30 and my wife was also very underweight. I smoked heavily and was physically active. Later in life and after a change in work/metabolism/ stopping smoking etc (worked in IT, static, staying in hotels for long periods) I slapped weight on but when I hit 14st realised and did something about it. Even now it is a struggle to keep myself at around 12 and a half stone. My wife also struggles to keep her weight down. That is the point though. It requires a bit of an effort and many can't be bothered to make that effort

My daughter , now 31 years old had the opposite problem with a very low BMI. She can' eat like a horse' and even now, after becoming a mother, still has a BMI of around 16. Whenever she went to the doctors for anything it was the '3rd degree' - "are you eating properly?,have you any problems you would like to talk about?, is everything OK at home? ) as they thought she might be anorexic.

Being 'fat' (lets call a spade a spade) is self inflicted. Stop blaming poverty -

"I can only afford junk/convenience food -LIE!! They are more expensive than fresh home cooked stuff .

"It takes too long and I am too busy to cook a meal using fresh food - LIE!! Admittedly it takes practice, but after a shortwhile you can cook up a quick nutritious healthy meal from scratch in about 30 minutes (I did/do it all the time even before we retired)

"I am unable to exercise so I cannot burn off the fat" - LIE!! Have you wondered why hospital meals and Long Haul airline meals have smaller portions? It is because you burn less calories when you are inactive - Again it comes down to the simple fact that you put more calories in than you burn off the extra has to go somewhere and it does - in the form of stored fat!

IWe are back to people blaming Governments and everyone else again, citing, lack of education, poverty, lack of mental health support etc. instead of the real culprit i.e. people failing to take responsibility for their own actions. Too many parents (I have seen it in supermarkets,) give in too readily to kids demanding sweets and snack and piling up the trolley with fizzy drinks. instead of saying no.

Some dietary problems, High blood pressure, hich cholesterol, overactive PP (Acid reflux) are genetic/medical issues that are difficult to control but not obesity - no.one forces people to eat too much.

Redstone likes this.
  13. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Plenty of medical conditions are treated by corticosteroids such as prednisolone, sometimes for long periods of time (I've been taking them 15 years). One of the main side effects is an increase in appetite, changes in your metabolism and how your body stores fat and carbohydrates and most people will gain weight while taking them. Makes it a lot harder to lose weight while taking them.

TitusMagee likes this.
  14. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    True but these don't usually take people into the obese category. If they did then it would be a case of the treatment cashing more harm than good.

15. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    What do you base that statement on?

TitusMagee likes this.
  16. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    "Harder" But not impossible ;)
    I agree that certain medical condition and environment make a difference to intake requirements. I am currently laid up with DVT so my usual activities e.g. constant battle with weeds and grass growing 365 days a year here are curtailed. I do note that since the body expends most energy keeping your core temperature at the correct weight, simply turning the heating down in winter and forcing the body to burn more calories go up and down stairs a couple of times if you feel cold sitting on the sofa) , daft though it sounds does have a positive effect in keeping weight down. In summer here with temperatures often at 30C and even at night staying at 20C even if my appetite doesn't diminish I need to eat less. Blood thinners like Cardio Aspirin and Warfarin) often make people feel the cold more too.
    I have long accepted that, whatever the situation, if I start to gain weight, I have to reduce the alcohol intake:eek: and reduce meal portions . Diets eliminating food groups are boll*x. Unless a Doctor tells you to cut something out for a specific medical reason IMO, eat a balanced variety of food but just eat less of them. I have to reduce Uric acid levels which causes Gout (made higher by eating Purine rich foods like oliy fish) with high Cholesterol (reduced by eating foods like oily fish)!! Doh!

17. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't disagree with any of the above & I don't think anyone else does. It is just that hurling abuse at someone is unlikely to help someone turn their life round. There is something called "provocative therapy", but this is practiced by trained counsellors, not shouted from terraces.

Tekkytyke likes this.
  18. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most antipsychotics cause huge weight gain. Id rather be overweight than psychotic.

You are making very sweeping statements.

Yes vast majority is diet but not all.

19. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Agree 100% Abuse is the last thing people need especially if they suffer from low esteem in the 1st place. My posts were aimed at those who are apologists for the majority of obese people, who know they are obese but are too lazy to do something about. There are a minority fo people in denial as to their true state (in exactly the same way as those who suffer from anorexia/bulimia nervosa except at the opposite end of the scale(s) and these deserve help, understanding and acceptance.
    Again, no-one should be subjected to humiliating abuse (even if people think it is a joke as you cannot tell if a stranger is one of those in that minority.
    No different from laughing at someone with something like Tourettes IMO. Widespread obesity in society is very damaging and, sadly, on the increase

EDIT: Just to add to that. I used to be subjected to bullying and verbal comments as I was seriously underweight and wimpish particularly whilst at school. I am strong (some say overbearing) mentally enough for it not to have affected me in later life.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    John Peachy likes this.
  20. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I am finding it hard to believe some of the comments in this thread and the number of medical experts on this forum with detailed dietary knowledge
    just 3 points from me
    1. None of us have any idea why the Southend Physio is overweight - it may be he likes pies and doesn't care, it could be a medical condition we just don't know. One thing is sure those who adamantly state that its a simple case of him eating more calories than is good for them are being very over simplistic.
    2. Its irrelevant anyway in this day and age its no longer acceptable to mock people based on their appearance
    3. I bet a fair few of those calling at him are overweight.

TitusMagee likes this.