Spicy food lovers

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by LDRed, May 4, 2017.

1. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    What's the spiciest food you've tried?

I was always partial to a Vindaloo in the UK and decided to "treat" myself to one the other night, Very disappointed with the German effort!

2. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    LDRed likes this.
  3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    2 things that spring to mind.

One was a home made dish, think it was a Malaysian derivative of Chinese Pork. The missus got a bit overzealous with every type of chili imaginable and it was so hot neither of us could finish it!

The other, was in Khao Lak, Thailand. Had the chance of cooking with the chef at the hotel who showed us how to make various Thai dishes. We were cooking with a German couple who wimped out, and literally found one chilli to be too much for them. We went with the chefs suggestion putting together a Tom Yum Gai (clear chili chicken soup), which was 8 thai chillies. A derivative of birds eye chillies. Only time I've lost control of my facial functions while eating! Tasty, but ridiculously hot.

Googs likes this.
  4. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Germans and spicy food don't seem to mix very well! I once tried what was supposedly the hottest currywurst in Germany and i was literally crying and sweating at the same time, but the guy who ran the place said it was only on the menu aimed at "Stupid Americans" and me, obviously!

5. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There was a place in Leeds called Rib Shack (now closed) which did a hot ribs challenge. It was a rack of ribs smothered in 357,000 scoville sauce. I did it but it was horrendous and I threw it all back up when I got home. It hurt as much coming up as it did going down!

6. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I love a vindaloo. I've also had a go at a phaal on a few occasions. Finished it a couple of times then others I've had about four mouthfuls.

I made the mistake of having a vindaloo in Prague once and it was *****. Should have stuck to the dumplings.

Redstar likes this.
  7. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My mate bought some sauce made from ghost peppers if I remember correctly. Obviously the sauce was nowhere near as hot as the pepper, but he reckoned it was around 300,000 Scovilles. One tiny dab on the tongue rendered your mouth numb for about ten minutes. Less than a teaspoon of it made a large bowl of risotto pretty much inedible. I like my spices but also want to be able to taste some other things. Ate a dish in Thailand which was basically a mixture of chicken and dried red chillies in a thick sauce. It tasted passable at the time, probably due to the amount of beer we were drinking. But I certainly knew about it later......

8. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On holiday in Goa, I thought I'd be a bit more adventurous and try a medium Afghan curry. By the time I'd finished I'd gone through two bottles of water and had every fan in the place pointed at me!

9. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I used to have a gurkha curry in hong kong that tasted gorgeous but made your lips and gums numb but the flavour was still there

10. juttyp

juttyp Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Worlds hottest curry at The Rupali in Newcastle.

11. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What I can't get my head around is that a sauce like that at 100,000 Scovilles is a very hot thing. Yet there are peppers out there which are over a million! Genuinely can't imagine what it would feel like to eat one whole!

12. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some years ago, while enjoying a summer visit to the Isle of Wight with family, we decided to order a lunchtime takeaway from a local place in Newport. I was fairly new to the curry eating game so asked for recommendations. They offered a couple of fairly mild choices but I ignored them. I liked the sound of a Jalfrezi dish that was on the specials menu so chose that. Big mistake!

This was August and not the kind of August that we usually get. It was a hotter than the sun August day and we were having curry. That was bad enough but it turned out that I had chosen one of the hottest dishes on the menu. I sat there trying to pretend it was fine but my face was gradually turning the colour of beetroot, there was steam coming out of my ears and the top of my head was leaking like a tap.

They all thought it was hilarious. I couldn't laugh because I could hardly move my lips to chew this devils food. It might have been chicken, it might have been prawn - whatever I was eating I could taste nothing. Nothing except sheer, excruciating heat.

Now some people like a hot curry but I don't see the point. All those lovely spices and delicate flavours are wasted if all you get is the heat from the industrial strength chillies in there. Needless to say I have never gone near one of those again.....

13. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Try one from Iceland (not the country) called Atomic Vindaloo. Now that is hot!

14. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like spicy food, but mate at work once put that mega death sauce in my soup. Only a couple of tiny drops but was just silly hot. I cernainly wasn't tempted to buy a bottle :)

http://extremefood.com/Mega-Deat-Sauce/

15. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got a Naga as a takeaway a while back, it was just unnecessarily hot and had no flavour. I find a Madras a good balance of heat and flavour.

16. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Soz but I absolutely hate chilli and other spicy things, because I just dont have the 'palate' for it. The strongest I will goto is medium so that means nothing stronger than a Tikka masala.
    Yes I know that sounds boring but I just dont understand the appeal for something thats so strong it blows the hell out of your mouth and body!!
    Did anybody see that video that the What culture team did, they often have bets on WWF wrestling ppv's and the loser has to do a foerfit. Their latest one was at a Chicken shack place in Newcastle and the loser had to take a small shot of 3 of the hottest sauces on the menu. His reaction to taking the hottest one really is unbelievable. :p