Statistical analysis of players

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by DannyWilsonLovechild, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'd love to see how our modelling is structured and what it places emphasis on, and where it is actually gathered.

Some questions and thoughts.

How do we assess character? Are we able to identify leadership potential through statistics? Are we able to assess organisational skills? Are we able to identify verbal skills? Do we factor in how they settle in new environments?

How do we ensure the data is accurate? If we're assessing passing for example, do we distinguish between a pass in all directions, a pass that's made under pressure, a pass that has time available, an aerial pass, a pass overhit, a pass where the receiver has to move considerably backwards or forwards, a pass that puts another under pressure, either through it being a bad pass that wasn't on, or, that the receiver badly controlled or misjudged it, or weather and conditions affected the trajectory.

Do we use data in training sessions? Do we categorise data based on the level of game? For example, the size of crowd, the importance of a game, the risk of the result, the calibre of opponent. Is any of that data weighted to be more prevalent?

Who captures this data and distinguishes what an action should be categorised as? Is it human or technological? What flaws are in the system and what error rate may exist? Is their subjectivity involved?

Do we distinguish the data when they've been carded? Do we assess attitude when being fouled and kicked and how their behaviours change? Do we assess body language of penalty takers ad how many fans are in attendance and at which end, and in which minute, and in the varying stages of match scenario? Do we distinguish between fresh activities at the start of a game, tired activities at the end of a game and possible fresh activities if brought on as a substitute against tired opponents.

I'm wondering because of the youth of our players. Lets say that every time a player trains, plays pre season, a friendly, a league or cup game at any level anywhere in say Europe, there is footage either pre captured, or able to be summarised and aggregated. (I'm sure there are many gaps, but lets just say all players can be analysed on this way).

An 18 year old by definition will have trained less than a 24 year old. Who will have trained less than a 26 year old. How many passes less has an 18 year old made compared to a 26 year old? If a player has played in an uncompetitive league, how do we account for that? What is the entry point where we allow data to have validity? Do they have to have trained X times? Played in X key games (derbies, promotion or relegation encounters, games with added pressure and outcome)? Played for X seasons?

I guess my point... are we analysing the right data, are we ensuring its robust enough with enough actions accurately captured and assessed to then make decisions accordingly?

Because if it doesn't consider most if not all of those points, our entire recruiting process is fundamentally flawed and incomplete from the outset.