Stendel making a point?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by bright red, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought Stendel wanted Wilks and Chaplin? He must have known Davies was off last season.i think it's a bit too easy for him to blame it all on the young players and I'm sure he wont.

Saturday will.be interesting with Luton in the relegation zone.

2. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My Town supporting mate reckons there are two in the frame for the job.
    It's either going to be the current Caretaker Manager Mark Hudson or the
    fans favourite, Gary Rowett. He doesn't think they will target Stendel because
    it would mean having to pay compensation to us.

Redhelen likes this.
  3. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is an absolutely ridiculous opinion. League one might not be the best but behave yourself.

We were without one or both the strikers for a good part of the season, Dougall got two bad injuries.

They were coached so well that even though we were an attacking and forward pressing team, we were more defensively solid than any other side. Yes he had a good keeper and back four - but Cavare and Pinnock had barely played before last season, Pinillos not that much. Lindsay had struggled the season before and let’s not even go to how Davies had been.

Stendel did a sterling job and suggesting all he achieved was the minimum requirement, something that anybody could have done, is disrespectful of him, the club, the league and is totally and completely wrong.

He will be severely tested at this level though, I agree there. If he remains here.

4. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The squad he inherited was a fantastic L1 team. It had strikers who had scored 20+ at that level and midfielders who had got into double figures. Most weeks we had substitutes who cost more than the entire opposition team.

Someone like Pinnock playing centre half cost more than the entire Accrington team.

Daniel got us playing great football and made us a joy to watch that was an unexpected bonus. But in terms of results anything other than automatic promotion would have been a failure given the advantages we had.

That was my belief when we got relegated. Given the disadvantages we have at this level anything other than bottom 3 would be exceptional management and a far greater achievement than getting us promoted

Donny Red likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Apologies. Didn't see your post before I vented my spleen.

Yes, exactly this.

6. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Not sure I agree with all the injurys suspensions ect and some of our best players weren't here or were cast offs the season before under hecky (cavare,mowatt,pinnock and mcgheehan)

Your daughters dalmatian might have got us promoted before a team who's wage bill dwarfed ours but I have no confidence either hecky or Morais would.

7. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tough. He was under contract.

8. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He took a bit of stick after the Wednesday game for not putting one of the Centre backs up front when we were two nil down, I was one of them. he seems to have listened to half of that criticism , you put a big man up front and launch balls to him , not carry on playing the same way . Birmingham didn't look much , both goals self inflicted , we can only hope players improve and McGeehan and Bahre don't have off days at the same time again.

Jake The Red likes this.
  9. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Beats me why anybody is worried about DS going anywhere ( not saying he wants to btw but there is a lot of 2+2 and coming up with 5 going on)
    Not being funny but at this stage of his career why would anybody want him? He's unproven above League 1 in this country, I personally think he is a good manager who will continue to develop and be great for us.
    But that's not how it works in the higher divisions is it, chairmen by and large want instant results and are not inclined to gamble on untried managers.
    As for making a statement by putting a centre half up front, maybe his game plan just hadn't gone as he intended and he made a last gamble, he's not the first to try it and he won't be the last.
    Get a grip ffs, after the Fulham game folk were soooo positive, wee were unlucky not to get 3 points on Saturday, and yet tonight to hear some we are certainties for relegation!!

Jake The Red, ScubaTyke and Redhelen like this.
  10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you are talking about Sunderland despite them being a basket case Ross should have got them
    Promoted as L1 champions and we should have finished 2nd. He failed and Daniel succeeded. He’s lucky to still be in a job and if they don’t start well he won’t be for long.

11. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Hopefully we have Woodrow back for Luton and Cavare should get a start, but apparently Sibbick has played well in every game.

12. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Sounds familiar.

Django likes this.
  13. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

We should be bottom now then and go straight back down. Average starring 11 age of 22 fielded so far this season, a basically new squad, hardly no championship experience bar mowatt smallest wage bill in the league. But football doesn't work like that.

Redhelen likes this.
  14. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I dont think sibbick has been poor. I dont think he's been brilliant either.

But that's hard to judge when he is completely exposed by Thomas in front of him

ReadingRed and TitusMagee like this.
  15. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It generally does. Studies show that wage bills on a season by season basis account for over 70% of success and over a 5 year period over 90% of success. Read Soccernomics breaks it down pretty well basically transfer frees are. Irrelevant its wages paid that matter. And yes if we stay out of the bottom 3 we will be bucking a trend which could be down to exceptional management or luck or poorly managed opponents over several years though these random factors won’t keep us up and we will get relegated it is the reality of football today unfortunately

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    DusThaNoIII likes this.
  16. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only saw second half on red button, up to the goal, thought there was little between the two teams but we were slightly better.
    The one thing that stood out to me was the ball just wasn’t quite going for us, little balls, flicks etc not quite coming off.
    Combination of skill and timing for me, both should come, in meantime we need to find a way to not lose the ball as easily.
    It made the game frenetic which suited them as they just crowded us out upfront.

Work in progress

Redhelen likes this.
  17. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course he is. He’ll be ****** off. There were people on here & social media talking absolute nonsense that Stendel wanted shut of Moore as he didn’t suit our style of play.

He started him almost every single game he was available & he scored goals for fun & set them up & held the ball up. He was massive for us. I’ve no doubt Stendel’s fed up.

I’m fed up too, the second time in 3 seasons we’re starting the season with a unsuitable strike force & we’re going to end up losing a quality manager for us because we’ve made his job a massive ball ache instead of supporting him.

18. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Moore's hardly scoring for fun at Wigan is he? Stendel probably did want him to stay but he wanted another move so what could he or the owners do?

ScubaTyke likes this.
  19. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, he’s failed to score in two starts, he must be absolutely ****. Meanwhile his replacement can’t get a start ahead of a dwarf.

DusThaNoIII likes this.
  20. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hold onto him until we have a suitable replacement that’s ready to play & not hope for the best. What every other club in the world seems to do but us.