Stokes - Interview with gay couple

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by pontyender, Aug 15, 2018.

1. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Look I've been assaulted before more than once at various stages in my life, I just don't take very kindly to you stating that I'd smash someone's face in. For the same exact reasons you wouldn't. I hate violence. I have no ulterior motives. I am not pro Stokes in any shape or form.

2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Thank you for clearing that up. Clearly not your intention, but it did come across that you were defending Stokes' actions which is the single point I took exception to and was trying to make clearer and clearer. So I'm very glad that's not the case. Let's call an end to it there. You've always seemed a good person, same as oc, and I think we're on the same side of the argument.

occook and TitusMagee like this.
  3. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Much appreciated :)

4. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think it’s a few crossed wires so apologies. I haven’t commented on it until the verdict. I was initially shocked by the footage that was released, but as I saw and heard more of what went on it clearly wasn’t as black or white as perhaps it seemed. I agree there is no place for violence, my feeling was that it started from a place of defending someone innocent, and then perhaps went too far. I don’t know how I would react to the threat of that level of violence. I met someone at Bradford last Saturday who had stepped in to break a fight up in Leeds last Christmas. He turned his back and was hit from behind. He fell to the floor and hit his head on the curb. When he lifted his hat to reveal a quarter of his skull had been removed and replaced with a metal plate it was perhaps one of the most shocking things I’ve seen in person. It would make me somewhat wary of breaking up a fight now, and certainly wary of turning my back or walking away from a clearly aggressive individual.

TitusMagee likes this.
  5. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    This may help - see especially the notes on reasonable force
    I haven't seen all the evidence either but I have previously been on a jury in an assault case
    At that the judge pointed out that there is a difference between how you may consider force when able to sit in a quiet place and think about it and how you may consider it when in a situation when there is a real threat. you have to consider how someone in that particular situation might reasonably act taking into account the hightened danger and emotions

People starting a fight bottling people and then coming back with iron bar might be considered a bit more of a threat then someone apologising for accidentally spilling a drink

The Jury - in possesion of much more information than I am decided that the force in the circumstances was reasonable - and contrary to whatever Dannywilsonslovechild states above would probably have made the same decision if the charge had been ABH instead of Affray - the self defence argument still applies.

I just hope if I am ever in the unfortunate position of using self defence in court I dont have some of the posters in this thread on the jury

From all I have been able to read about the "assaulted" they were far from innocent victims and I am perfectly satisfied with the verdict

Be careful with what you read in the press as well
    in an unrelated court case where I happened to know all the facts, the papers reported all the prosecution evidence and painted a very unbalanced view in which anyone reading would be amazed that the defendant could possibly be innocent of the charges. The picture was a long way from reality as was proved once the defence was able to cross examine and also produce their own witnesses, the correct verdict was rapidly reached. Strangely as it was not in favour of the "wronged attractive woman" the press forgot to report this with anything like the prominence of the original story.

TitusMagee likes this.
  6. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You seem to have missed my point. So I'll repeat. Again.

A) Multiple times i've reiterated that Ben Stokes shouldn't be found guilty of affray and have suggested the CPS failed to have sufficient evidence of the charge
    B) Did Ben Stokes violently smash the face of a person backing away in defence and knock them unconscious? Yes. This is indisputable.

If you would also have smashed in the face of a man backing away in defence, this is also your choice and a court of law would deal with you accordingly.

7. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Context is everything - of course I wouldnt usually smash in the face of someone backing away in defence., I guess neither would Stokes
    I probably wouldnt even do it to someone who had attacked a defenceless couple come at me with an Iron bar and then once it looked like I was getting the upper hand took a step back - though never having been in that position I cant be sure - but I can understand why some might

8. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ahhhhh yes, because you always have time to wait 10 minutes for the Police to arrive during a drunken altercation outside a nightclub.

9. leebrilleaux

leebrilleaux Well-Known Member

Student, yes a Student even at my age!
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So, in all fairness no-one on here was there at the time of the incident and no-one on here was on the jury.

So on on earth can people on here make any reasoned opinion about the case?

TitusMagee likes this.