Takeover yay or nay..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Sopwith Camel, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is the key. Promotion to the Premiership. We've been trying for the last seventeen years to get back there.
    Let's hope we can do it this season. If we get there we could probably get 19,000 in the ground for home games.
    That's around 7,000 more than we are getting now. Big question how much would we have to spend to stay there.?
    I've got concerns for Huddersfield. They look to be spending big and although Hoyle is rich there are no guarantees
    they can stay up. If they do come back down fair enough they'll get the parachute payments but they'll probably be stuck with
    players on big salaries that they can't move on and no guarantees of getting back up.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we got into the Premeirship we could more or less guarantee filling the ground.
    The away end would be full virtually every game.
    In fact there might be a case of the ground at 23,000 not being big enough.

This on top of £100 million TV money PER YEAR.
    And still we get comments on here that there is little scope - and who would want the club?
    But a rich investor would probably look at Barnsley as a means of just a hobby or interest to get involved in English football - not as a means to make money.

3. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So it's a nay then..

4. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I accept that Conan, but this thread is based on false news, thats what is a ball ache

5. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

How to become a millionaire.

Start off as a billionaire then buy a football club.

6. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The young scamp who set up this twitter account would be w4nking himself silly if he knew he'd spawned a 2 page debate on here.

It's a load of cobblers. If calling us "league one" and the potential owners "supposed Chinese" (what? so they might be Chinese but they could be from elsewhere?) weren't enough to make you double up with laughter, just have a look at some of the other tweets. I particularly like the one claiming that Chelsea have signed Virtual footballer Alex Hunter from Man Utd.

Red CB and gingerwizard like this.
  7. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Relevant points that I couldn't challenge, stick £5 million on your Sky windfall and you could bring a Pogba type player in or spend £75 million of it on a player like Lukaku. Huddersfield have spent £42 .5 million on nine players so far with no guarantees they can stay up.

For the golden payout for winning the play off you might be able to buy Neymars left leg if it's true PSG are planning
    to spend in excess of £200 million ( excluding wages) on him.! Absolute madness.?

I always wondered why Elton John ( Watford), Sir Alan Sugar ( Spurs), Mohamed Al Fayed ( Fulham) and Barry Hearn ( Orient) all walked away from the supposed " land of milk and honey." Sugars autobiography provides some of those answers.

The motive for Jack Walker pumping millions into Blackburn were purely down to the fact he loved the town and its people
    and the lifestyle and wealth he had, made it possible to for him to put something back by indulging in a very expensive hobby
    which has now culminated with a huge debt of in excess of £100 million and a place in Division 1 of the EFL.!
    (Our average home gate last season was 13,857 Blackburn's was 12,688. Are they heading for the precipice.?)

For every Jack Walker, Daniel Levy and Steve Gibson, there's a Vincent Tan, Robert Maxwell, Owen Oyston or a Venky
    lurking out there.

I would hope that if the opportunity for a new owner did present itself and Patrick having done his due diligence checks
    sold the Club, that our new investor " Wun Hung Lo" could ultimately take us back into the Premiership.
    I'm sure nothing could ever give me and our loyal supporters any greater pleasure .

You would hope that any accrued new wealth would then be ploughed back into the Club and we would see a mirror image
    of a Roman Abramovich. On the other hand God forbid we could get a clone of Francesco Bechetti who has despite Barry Hearns best efforts over the last 19 years, now taken the O's out of the EFL and to the brink of extinction.

The Twitter posting is obviously spurious. Patrick is not exactly swotting off any would be investors at the minute but
    if we are ever taken over let's hope that whoever does acquire our Club they do so with "everyone's" best interests at heart
    with the genuine intention that there is a Barnsley FC for generations to come to support.

8. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Donny Red likes this.
  10. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is Xerxes. We had friends near Brisbane Road and they let us dump our car on their drive
    to get a train into London when we were down there so you can see the complexes as you head into the City.

The journeys around 8 miles in total and Orients ground is approx 2.9 miles from the Olympic
    Stadium whereas it's around 3 miles from the latter to Upton Park, so technically Orient is slightly nearer.!

11. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just been reading an article by a Spurs fan about Sir Alan Sugars tenure as Chairman.
    In the eleven seasons he was there he appointed six different Managers and the team
    never finished in the top six.!

There is a suspicion that he never put any of his own money into the Club but gave a
    guarantee to underwrite any debt if it occurred.

Teddy Sheringham left the Club because of Sugars attitude and Jurgen Klinsmann described
    him as " A man without honour" who was not interested in football and only ever talked about money.

When he sold the Club to present owner Daniel Levy in 2000 it is estimated he trousered £21.9 million
    pocketing a further £25 million when he flogged his remaining shares in 2007.

When he left the Club in 2000 he described his time as Chair as " A waste of my life."
    As far as Spurs fans were concerned from 1990 to 2001 therefore, all that glittered turned out not to be gold.!

http://www.spurs-web.com/app/money-alan-sugar-tottenham-hotspur/

12. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Daniel Levy doesn't own Tottenham, he's a paid employee.

ENIC International own the club. Levy is part owner of the ENIC group but Tottenham Hotspur are owned by the subsidiary ENIC International, a company registered in the tax haven of the Bahamas, ran from a huge yacht and owned entirely by an 80 year old American bloke called Joe Lewis.

Whilst Levy of course has an indirect vested interest in spurs they intentionally make it so that technically he has no ownership at all so he has no conflicts of interest.

All very dodgy, I'm not so sure the uk exchequer see every penny that they should from spurs. The new stadium debt will write off any corp tax for at least twenty years too. Properly dodgy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In fact it's so dodgy I reckon Alan sugar would love a slice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Euroman

Euroman Well-Known Member

Training and Development Consultant retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought the 'were already pulling their money out of the Club. Where has all the transfer money gone?

15. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Need to wait to see the next balance sheet until we can answer that question.
    Don't know for certain but I would imagine PC has covered any shortfall in the
    past and so it's only reasonable he takes any money out of any surplus to cover
    what he has had to put in.

16. Sco

Scott1987 New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No more pies lads looks like crispy wong tong at half time lol

Donny Red likes this.
  17. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    True Troff. The article does mention ENIC. In another article I've read, it suggests that Levy is a partner along with Lewis
    so no doubt as Executive MD he will have shares in the Club. I'd be very surprised if that was not the case.!
    Whatever the set up it looks and sounds very "murky" to say the least.

18. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's the total money to be gained this Year from promotion plus parachute if you go straight down again? I read 95 million plus two years of 75 million.
    Reckon you could buy the club for 10 million, invest 35-40 million on promotion, spend the same again on staying up, if you stay up great, if not you've got outlay of 80 million to take from about 250 million of income. I reckon Barnsley would be a bargain given our low cost base to buy for a punt at 250 million, given you get that as a minimum regardless of so-called club size.

19. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good point. The trick though is getting up. If that happens we could well then get approaches regarding a possible takeover.
    It should be interesting to see how Huddersfield go about things this coming season.

One thing is for certain like Boro', Sunderland, Hull and Villa if Town do come down they will have a considerable amount
    of money to mount and sustain another promotion challenge , so for a Club of our size with the present resources we have at our disposal to attain a final place in the top six come the end of the season, would to my mind be a massive achievement.

No denying that two hundred and fifty million is a lot of money but in the context of some of the fees that are being
    bandied around you would need to add another £100 million to have a Lukaku, Pogba and Neymar in your side and
    then find even more to pay their wages. It's getting absolutely crazy and is surely unsustainable.?

20. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Those ok
    those players are for the top 6 prem clubs owned by billionaires, you can put together a team for 40 million which would have more then a good chance of staying up, Burnley? Watford?