Terrible tactics from Heckingbottom recently

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by OnGoingCloud1887, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    **** me pink.

Bloke gets team promoted, helps develop cast offs into multi million pound players, has them sold off, made to build another new team in a league populated by clubs with single players that earn what half a dozen of ours do, and during that development period gets absolutely **** all slack cut.

Context is a dirty word it appears.

2. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I already referred to that. Still doesn't excuse his negativity though.

Like I said I love Hecky but he's gotta change his tactics ASAP

3. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which only really works until you are behind in a game.

4. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Scottish football is below the quality of L2. Not saying Mallan can't come good like.

5. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not really. When you are behind the ONLY option is to try to score

OnGoingCloud1887 likes this.
  6. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He really really didn't!

7. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He had a bit of an iffy spell towards the end of his first season. Remember people around me really groaning at him being selected at that time.

However I clearly remember folk citing him as the next Redfearn after he score about 7 absolute screamers in his first ten games

Redstar likes this.
  8. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Correct. Moncur nowhere near but at a higher level of course

9. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It's testament to Hecky's considerable coaching ability and tactics that this bunch of players are not getting beat 4 and 5 nil every week.

My one over-riding thought from today (and indeed most games this season) is that last year's team would've walked that game, regardless of where Wolves are in the league and how much they've spent.

Jimmy viz and Connor like this.
  10. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know I'm going to get battered for this but here goes the following comments regularly stated on here and are boring.

Got to play 2 up top - Pearson Moncur etc not good - we've only signed lower league players - we sold half our squad in January - the ground is delapidated etc.

We are reading the same comments over and over again but what is true is that this team are mostly on 3 year contracts and without doubt will improve, there is also a really good chance of more money being invested in to wages, the team and ground from the potential takeover. We have one of the best young British managers in the game and if he doesn't want to play 442 then there is no one on here who knows better.
    We are competing against quality sides and will win some and lose more this season but we are no doubt watching and the team are playing good football. It's basically as simple as that. Forum closed

Mr C, Connor, Red CB and 1 other person like this.
  11. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s going to take a full 90 minutes playing 4-4-2, being just as or even more ineffective in possession and much much worse out of possession before folk might consider that the current formation might actually be the best for the squad of players to be competitive and that we might be getting beat because other teams have better and more experienced players. The last two away performances against much superior teams on paper have actually been competitive and we could have got results in both with a bit more luck - and composure.

We need to consider that some of the team have no experience at all of this level and will take a dozen games or so to learn. Yes Hecky signed them or approved them coming in but he wasn’t exactly given options of any better.

How many of our opponents to beat us this season played 4-4-2 anyway?

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I stopped believing that our head coach (not manager remember) has the biggest influence on who we do and don't sign when, after hiring a French CEO, we suddenly sign two French players that nobody outside France has ever heard of and only immediate family within the French nation could actually recognise.

We go 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go, we need a goal, we still have two substitutions remaining, sat on the bench is the most expensive player we've signed in over a decade and the manager doesn't bring him on...

As far as systems, formations and tactics go, if the opposition has much better players then more often than not they're going to beat you and the best manager/coach in the world won't be able to stop that.

Jimmy viz, Redstone and Kettlewell like this.
  13. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Not really under Johnson we had one of the best if not THE best team in league one and we were still bottom at xmas. Due to boring possession football and negativity.

Kettlewell likes this.
  14. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The players are not good enough. Tactics formations and selecting the 11 can be discussed all day. It will take time to work out who is good enough, who improves enough and hopefully to strengthen in Jan and be better than 3 other teams. If Hecky keeps this bunch up it's a bigger achievement than either of the last 2 seasons.

Sopwith Camel and Redstar like this.
  15. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Problem is our midfield aren't good enough to play as a 2. Williams would be able to, none of the rest though. Haven't seen McGeehan but my hopes rest on his shoulders. Having said this, he's the one who signed them so he has to take the responsibility.

16. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This argument is getting tiring

17. Chr

Chris Lodge New Member

Is Mourinho a negative manager then? He plays the same sort of system, in fact he usually plays 2 defensive midfielders, whereas we generally play one (Williams). Where were these negative comments when we mullered Sunderland playing same formation. It’s 4-5-1 when we are defending but to me it looks more like 4-3-3 when we are attacking. It’ll take time for these players to get up to speed, but to me the signs are there that it’s happening much quicker than I’d have thought. Get Fryers, Isgrove and McGeehan fully fit and we have a squad strong enough to compete. Everyone crying for Mallan or Thiam to start, they’ve obviously got to prove themselves in training otherwise they’d be in, Hecky is not that daft that he wouldn’t play them if he thought they would improve the team. FFS, a win tomorrow night and a result on Saturday and it’ll have been a very decent start in my opinion. But, I guess, that’s what Football is all about, opinions.

Connor likes this.
  18. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What are his realistic options ? he's trying to get through a period of the season trying to afford protection to the new players in defence & mid who are finding their feet. If we take a body out of midfield at the mo then we'd be overrun. This is why Gardiner's been brought in. We'll see 2 strikers after Christmas imho.

Redstar and Sopwith Camel like this.
  19. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It ain't an argument it's a fact.

20. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We didn't 'muller' anyone. Sunderland were the better side til we scored, then they caved in. As for Man Utd, they have individuals like Lukaku, Mata, Mkhitaryan who can change a game in a second, we don't. We need to be more attacking as a unit which isn't happening.