Thanks Neil Collins

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Chef Tyke, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Did well in difficult circumstances, carried himself well and always protected his players in public. Not a fan of his football but at times it was effective.

I wish you all the best.

2. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Came across a genuinely decent bloke. Sad that it came to this but hope he does well in the future.

3. Ric

RichieD Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good luck Neil. Someone's panicked and it wasn't you.

4. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We lure a bloke over from America, uproot his family, and sack him with one game to go despite occupying a playoff position? We have diminished ourselves today.

5. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He was looking to get back to the UK anyway. However, how do you explain the last 10 games or so (though personally I thought we were in a falsely high position anyway).

6. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    we really haven't, he applied for the job and football being football he knew the risks.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Andy Mac likes this.
  7. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely spot on……I actually feel ashamed and embarrassed how the club have dealt with today’s proceedings

8. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well said. I had faith in him right until hearing his post match press conference Saturday and then realised he had lost the plot. His position became untenable there and then for me.

Done ok with a joke of a recruitment but let himself down tactically a lot. Can’t remember many good performances this season. It’s a shame as he came across likeable and hard working.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  9. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All the best to him. Recent form has been terrible but for most of the season I thought he was overachieving. I hope he goes on to do well in management.

10. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just feel sorry for him on a personal level. Nothing to do with football. Today's events have been shocking. No decency.

11. Nig

Nigel hambleton Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Right decision for me after Saturday trying to blame officials again when in reality we should Been 5 down b4 we scored first not forgetting Blackpool had couple good shout for penalty. The bloke not shown any passion through the last 12 games

12. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not getting some of the strength of feeling against the Club tbh. FWIW I think it's the wrong move. However, if you look at the optics it's explainable. They have one game left to save the season. This is on the back of an atrocious run, relegation form and fan feeling towards the manager that has turned toxic. There's also huge financial consequences at stake, and from day 1 the objective has been promotion, with play offs at the very least.

They have probably lost all confidence in Collins to get a result on Saturday. Just like we have. So while I personally think it's the wrong call, I can also see why the Club might think they have one last throw of the dice. If they did nothing and we dropped out of top 6, the anger would turn towards the owners for not doing anything to try and stop the rot. That said, I've said the same on other comments - if Devaney takes the last match, I'm really not sure what they think sacking Collins has achieved, other than damage limitation for them.

13. kli

klingklang Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am not a fan of the football this season but i'm not happy about the decision at this point. However I think the board had decided that whatever happened, Neill was not going to be the manager next season, even if we squeezed through the play offs. If that is the case then maybe they felt it was worth the punt.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  14. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s been some pretty damn boring games at Oakwell this season. Even some of the wins I’ve come out thinking “how did we get away with that?” To counter that though we’ve looked really good away from home.

The biggest gripe I’ve had with Collins recently has been his post match interviews. Bordering on delusional.

However I do feel a bit sorry for him being dismissed at this stage of the season. He should’ve been here to see the season out in my opinion.

15. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wouldn't be surprised if that's been a major factor in today's decision. The owners have seen the same performances as us. I imagine they have also watched post-match comments and been thinking 'WTF is he talking about? Has he just watched the same game as me'? At that point, confidence just starts to evaporate.

16. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If this lot really felt that way, then why didn't they act a number of games ago ?.
    If it really had to happen, then the loss at Stevenage would maybe have been enough for me. Or maybe even before that!.
    But doing this today with one League game before the possible Play offs, is just ridiculous.

17. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When is ever the right time though? No one has a crystal ball. You can forgive the owners for showing some patience, and hoping a turn of form is just round the corner. Time will tell though. If we smash Northampton on Saturday, everyone will be praising them for a ballsy move. If we don't, people will say it was a daft decision that just created even more unrest.

18. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It nearly riled me up on occasion listening to it so yeah the people paying his wages and putting money into the club listening possibly were also irritated by it.

I, and I’m sure many more of our fans, would much prefer brutal honesty in the interviews. If we’re crap, say we are. If we’re brilliant, then I’ll love to hear that. Just don’t talk *****.

19. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well said CT..

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  20. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Alternatively, you could argue that, rather than panicking, the Board have waited until the last possible moment to effect a change which might save the season. Of course, it might not. I have every sympathy with Collins, though, who has come across as a decent human being - a lot more decent than those who have been involved in disgraceful chants aimed in his direction.