That black steward at Wembley...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Tekkytyke, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Sorry! Thread title not intended to be racist but only way to identify him easily...

Anyway, having watched the footage a few times and read some of the comments on here I have sent the following to Wembley stadium.....

"Please note: The reason for this email is not to pass comments/criticisms/judgement over the policing /stewarding / ticket allocations as these are no doubt under investigation by the authorities. Rather it is about the exemplary behaviour of one particular steward.

I stress I was not at the playoff final but I have seen footage of the crowd trouble and read comments from, and spoken to a number of Barnsley fans who were at the final.

Many have commented on the valiant, restrained, and frankly courageous efforts of the black steward (yellow vest) who for several minutes, and at great personal risk- above and beyond-, held back a large number of violent Millwall fans trying to break through the barrier to reach the Barnsley fans (mainly families with children).

I appreciate there were others forming a cordon in the total absence of police backup) Nevertheless, he bore the brunt of a particularly agressive group right at the top of the stand, I strongly believe, having reviewed footage a number of times that, even though the Millwall fans eventually broke through the cordon before the police arrived, his efforts prevented a more serious incident as the delay enabled many Barnsley fans to move their children away from the danger area. It would be a great gesture from the stadium/his employers if his efforts were recognised (even if it was done privately) and he was aware of the recognition by many BFC fans of his efforts on the day. Suffice to say, he would not have to buy a drink if he ever turned up at Oakwell and people knew who he was."

It would be nice if a few more contacted them in similar vein then the guy might get some recognition.

PS I do not understand some people on here comparing BFC fans on the top tier with Millwall. I did not see one Barnsley fan trying to get across the barrier. The only fighting I saw was when the Millwall fans entered the BFC allocated area. More a case of self defence IMHO 'Goading' as someone called it, is not a reason to attack women and children in any case. Furthermore, if you solely rely on seeing gesturing from a distance and cannot hear what is being said then they may have not been provoking an attack but telling 'em to basically 'f-off'

I know we DO have a small minority of neanderthalls but shame on so-called fans on here attributing any blame to BFC fans for this particular incident.

2. Spe

SpencerUk Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Couldn't you just rename the subject to steward at Wembley on the top?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    whats the problem with the title - Had he been ginger haired and the title had been the ginger haired steward you wouldnt have an issue. He is black he is a steward (and he deserves a medal) -

4. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye, the steward at the top holding all the Millwall fans back is an adequate description.

5. Spe

SpencerUk Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just think it could be worded better is all. Just how you read the subject is open to perception irrespective whether it was designed to cause offence or not.

6. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I sent something similar yesterday.

That bloke deserves a medal

7. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That steward certainly deserves recognition of some sort, he went way above what anyone could've expected from him.
    As for your description, I don't have a problem with it at all. No way were you being racist. The world has gone completely bonkers.....

8. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think it was implied as being racist, it just seems a bit un-necessary. You wouldn't have said he did a good job stopping them white Millwall fans.

9. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Thanks. Just one or two on here are a bit too PC for me. One once called me a " Bitter racist bigot* for posting about the issues caused by influx of illegal migrants put up in hotels here in rural Italy with already high un-employment amongst the locals. I only posted it as an observation and to provide some balance against on overtly pro-migrant bias thread at the time - anyone against mass migration was automatically branded racist. As a tax paying legal resident here I was called a hypocritical parasite too "no different from the other migrants". Some strange people on here who cannot differentiate!

10. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Oops, I sent something too but thought he had a blue jacket on?

11. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    What IS your problem? The easiest way to identify him to his employers. If all the stewards were black and one was white I would have said the white guy.

Question: Why is the word adjective 'black' suddenly offensive or racist in every context when applied to a person, particularly in this instance when the purpose is to praise him and try to get him some recognition?

Answer: Because You and overly PC people like you need to get a life and stop seeing offence in every word uttered.

12. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Please take note: I am NOT walking on eggshells to appease idiots that take offence at the slightest thing. Get over it!

Could you at least respond to the original point of the thread? No? Thought not! Too wrapped up in righteous indignation perhaps!

13. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People will read it how they want to read it.... he has clearly stated his reason and intention.

You have your right to whine.... but let the man tell it as how he see's it..

14. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's nothing wrong with using colour as a descriptor. I have to do that all the time in my line of work.

15. Spe

SpencerUk Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't say I had a problem. Don't think anyone has.

All I've stated is that I think it could be worded better.

Pretty sure the supervisors would have a layout of which steward was where so if you were to contact Wembley They would know which steward you was referring to regardless to color of skin, ethnicity, whether bald or afro

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This.

17. Mon

MonkBrettontyke New Member

Describing the colour of a person changes every week. Thought I was being polite the other week by describing someone as coloured,then got call racist as he wasn't coloured he was black. So there you go

18. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Describing him as black or as the steward at the top would probably work (with the video link), the latter is prefereable as there may have been more black stewards there. Either way, he did a cracking job and should get recognition.

19. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most of the stewards at Wembley were black. So don't see the need to reference someone's colour just to identify them. You could have said the fella at the top who bravely held back four lunatics at a time, while getting covered in gob and suffering no end of verbal abuse, most of which would no doubt reference the colour of his skin.

Brave lad though, his efforts were well above the call of duty and should be commended, I agree. Imagine, £8/hr, zero hours contracts and tyrannical gaffers to suffer that?

20. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm pretty sure that 'coloured' hasn't been acceptable for a very long time - everyone is a colour.