That PH interview was seriously depressing

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red Mosquito, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Red

Red Mosquito Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I knew from previous interviews that there was a disconnect between the coaching staff and the person/s identifying and paying for the players, but his comments today have left me shaking my head. I realise the club have been stung many times by managers bringing in their mates, their agents clients, players past their best and general *****, but it seems he has little say in the matter and has to work with what he's given. Surely that's not right when you are looking at getting a blend of players together.
    As he's pointed out he's got too many midfielders of the same type. What he hasn't got is a single quality creative midfielder who can play in a central midfield 2 and provide service to the forward/s. As a result we are hamstrung with three in midfield with still little or no creativity down the middle, instead relying solely on the wide men to provide attacking impetus. I'm sure that wasn't on his wishlist this summer.

2. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suspect that's why he is Head Coach and not Manager. Frustrating, but I'm guessing he knew the deal before signing his contract.

3. sel

selby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its a strange way to go about things if that is the case the club need to bring in somebody who actually understands what the manager needs and isn't just going off a spread sheet....

A sporting director or whatever for hecky to work with in getting the right players in.

Big month coming up....

4. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is a bit depressing isn't it?. Perhaps he's just good at keeping his cards close to his chest but, on the evidence of that interview, I don't think we should be getting too excited about January!

5. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's all a bit puzzling, this. You get the impression when Hecky talks about the need for joined-up thinking, that his view is that this hasn't happened in the past. He also talks about the surfeit of midfielders we have. This suggests he hasn't been too closely involved in the final say on who we sign. Yet in the summer he was bemoaning the fact that he was having to do more than one job. So what's going on? Is it apposite to ask about Hecky's relationship with Gauthier Ganaye and James Cryne? Hecky remains one of the best (if not the best) managers we've had. But his interview doesn't smack of standing on the threshold of an exciting new chapter. Does he prefer having to do the job in the teeth of adversity? Are the new owners as supportive in private as they were at the press conference? Or is this all Hecky's naturally dour and cautious persona? It sure raises questions, to which we'll probably get no answers!

6. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just listened, l don’t get anything depressing about it. He kept his cards close to his chest and he’s got money to spend.

ScubaTyke likes this.
  7. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A really odd presser that. It was only a week ago, he was telling everyone how joined up they all were, and what an exciting time it was for us. This one couldn't have sounded any different. So which one are we meant to believe? Got to say, first time I've scratched my head a bit at what hecky's had to say. Strange.

One thing I will say though. The press with the new owners was the third time I've heard Ganaye speak, and I'm very underwhelmed by him. Early days like, but so far, unimpressed.

8. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I meant that I find it depressing that player purchasing hasn't been done with joined up thinking.

9. Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Perhaps he's feeling the pressure a bit more under the new regime and is putting a marker down.
    Popularity doesnt win points, so if results carry on as they are, it'll not matter how much he's one of our own, if the investors see their investment sliding down league plug hole, they'll do something about it.

10. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Hecky is soon going to be tested.

Some people think that he's that good that he holds all the cards and will get a job anywhere if he's not treated right, and they think that he's alluding to that in some of his interviews.

These guys will give him better tools to do his job and expect him to improve on his current win ratio, which in 2017 is slightly better than 20% - it's awful.

He might like a little moan and groan in his interviews, but with those stats he would have been gone had he been anywhere else, and had it not been him many of our fans would have demanded his sacking.

11. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gauthier is more than underwhelming. Out of his depth would be being kind.

12. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hopefully gone for good are the days of managers bringing in all their agents mates and replacing the entire club philosophy with their own only for 2 years later for us to start again. As the old saying goes - there are only 2 types of managers; "those that have been sacked, and those that are going to get sacked." You can add to that the likes of our Lee who if they are successful are going to leave anyway. Hecky must have known his job description and its limitations an advantages, if he doesn't like it anymore then thats his decision, the club can't suddenly change the plan based on it. If he wants to pick the players to buy, run the academy, deal with the agents, then let him do that somewhere else.

13. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Young lad, different country, culture etc, so i'm giving him a bit of grace like, and obviously i'm not privy to what he gets up to day to day. But so far, based on what i've seen and heard from him, he's not done owt to impress me. Sum total seems to be a new Twitter account. We'll see..

14. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Said account only being activate post positive results, which I’ve had the piss taken in the past for mentioning.

Timing of the transfer business and options being given to Hecky stink to me and if he’s not in charge of that who is?

15. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    When he had better tools he did better. Discuss where the problem is

16. fit

We know where the problem is. It's the same as every other Barnsley manager at this level since 2006 to a greater or lesser extent.

He can't lose. It's either, "he has lost his best players, or he's had players picked for him"

Basically, in the eyes of many hes not responsible for anything, and that can just go on indefinitely if he keeps losing games.

wakeyred likes this.
  17. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hes a young manager who will make mistakes and we hope he learns from them. Stability is the key to success and Hecky is definitely a manager I am prepared to stick with despite a few mystery selections.

18. fit

I don't want him sacking, I just don't get the hero status he is afforded.

Lots of people come on here and criticise everything but to even doubt Hecky is strictly taboo.

I'm just saying the new board won't want to see us continue in the same way, especially if they back him in January.

wakeyred likes this.
  19. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Does someone have to be at fault and be blamed? Sometimes circumstance is more than enough to make anyone look foolish? And yes It’s quite obvious Keith hill was to blame :) however in this instance it’s not as simple, the rules aren’t the same, the goal posts have literally moved

20. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    sacking hecky would be crackers. not only is he a brilliant manager, but he's all that's still connecting the Club to Barnsley. support on and off the pitch is what's needed, for me.

Xerxes likes this.