That PH interview was seriously depressing

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red Mosquito, Dec 28, 2017.

1. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They are like the love of God.

2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

They baffle all of us, and so they should to a point. If we as fans were privy to everything the club did, then so would every other club, and that would really leave us wide open.

As for what the CEO does, doesn't or is meant to do, again we can only hazard a general guess, but we don't know any fine details really.

He's just someone else to blame.

3. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well that’s how responsibility works, if there are shortfalls you take the blame. Orsenkahts interlude was lovely but utter garbage in reality, we had the budget for four strikers it’s just we didn’t get them in.

4. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But how do you balance that out with the need for defenders (post-Roberts) and a replacement for Conor (which we are nowhere near achieving) while remaining within FFP?

5. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

But that's my point exactly. We don't really know who's responsible for what. We're all just guessing because we haven't a clue other than reading into heckys comments in interviews.

I know one guy who doesn't take any responsibility for anything, neither is he questioned, which is wrong.

If there is responsibility or blame they should all have a hand in it from top to bottom.

6. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A basic requirement is having a squad large enough to cope with the seasons demands. We presently don’t have that with our striking options and it’s criminal. Whether those players selected are good enough is a different matter.

7. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So isn't Tom Bradshaw, Mamadou Thiam, Ike Ugbo and Jacob Brown four strikers?

8. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With respect FFP is not currently an issue. FFP allows a club to lose £39m over 3 years. We made an estimated £15m in the year to 31 May 2017 so in the two years to 31 May 2019, we could afford to lose an estimated £54m without troubling FFP. Admittedly, we would then have to make an estimated £15m in the year after, but I hope that you can see what I mean.

Under Patrick Cryne, the club clearly operated under financial constraints that had nothing to do with FFP. Those constraints were more to do with the availability of finance in support of policy. That policy seems to have more to do with control of wages, than it does control of transfer spending. The two are of course related. A player generally wants 50% of his transfer fee each year in wages, therefore, if you control his wages.... you control his transfer fee. The problem is that many fans believed that the new owners would relax their grip upon the wages budget, and in fairness, it looks like Hecky also foresaw something similar. It now looks like we will continue to shop at ALDI, and that has disappointed lots of people, including Hecky. That is not because FFP stops us spending more. It is not because the new owners do not have the cash. It is because the new owners want it that way. WHY???

9. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jacob Brown. If thats the straw you want to clutch at then fair enough. I don’t really see a youth player with nigh on 0 first team league games as a viable option but good luck with that.

10. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Totally bow to your knowledge of these things, Mr Rain. Do you think (like I do) that a little more exposition of the new plans might have been helpful at the new owners' press conference? (Other than of course "we won't go crazy!"). We might have all been able to formulate reasonable expectations then?

11. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, but with all due respect, you said "Whether those players selected are good enough is a different matter."

12. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    After the press conference, I said that I was underwhelmed, and when I explained why, I spent the rest of the night defending my thinking. Basically, I did not understand the logic of what they were saying, but my biggest problem was that I did not understand their motives. I am still in the same position. There has be no filing of the new board structure at Companies House, so we do not even know how they intend to control/manage their new acquisition. Currently, it all seems a bit "smoke and mirrors" and it makes me feel very uneasy. At least we knew where we stood with Patrick Cryne, he was doing his best with insufficient finance to match the rest of the division. Now, I just do not know!

13. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Paul Conway said at the conference that they were explaining the board structure and roles. The cameras switched off and we didn't get to see that. I'm surprised more people haven't asked to see that part of the press conference. I was expecting all these types of questions to be addressed during that.

14. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its not about good enough he’s a youth player not a senior squad player. Unless straws are being clutched.

15. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I questioned it at the time, as did a few others on a thread entitled “Ownership Structure”. Nothing else has been mentioned since then.

16. YTB

YTBFC Guest

You've lost me on that one, Marc. The press conference was streamed live on Facebook and didn't cut anything out. It was on, live before they even took their seats, and ended as soon as they left their seats. There wasn't anything else afterwards.

17. Red

Red Mosquito Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I started another thread today about fans getting a stear on how the club will be run, from looking at what has been done at Nice. I mentioned that because I also got very little from the press conference and was looking for clues elsewhere. I thought they'd have had the charm offensive lined up and ready to go as soon as deal was done, so that the fans were informed, enthused and fully behind them. We've seen nothing of it so far, so its just a case of wait and see, but I'd be less concerned with just a fraction more info on how the club will be run.

18. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I guess you were there at the press conference. You may even have been behind the camera for all I know, but I guess you are as good as anyone to ask the following question:

Was there a board with the board and ownership structure mapped out thereon? If so, why was it not shown? If it was purely that someone forgot, why has the information not been presented on the club web site at a later date?

MappRed likes this.
  19. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it was more that the topic was overlooked for whatever reason, Whitey. This was despite it featuring in GG’s opening gambit.

He spoke of running through the flip chart, etc.

Shy Talk likes this.
  20. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yep I think the confusion is that it was said they were going to explain this then didn't. They seemed to jump to taking questions too soon.Watched it and it was clear nothing was cut.

Shy Talk likes this.