That was one of the best games I've seen in ages.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Mr Badger, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The first half hour was so good I couldn't believe this was "a team like Barnsley".
    I still don't know all the players yet but in that period I was so impressed by no. 4 and no. 10 moncur and no. 15 Barnes.
    The way they all interplayed short sharp passes was a joy to watch and the move where Barnes ??? nearly took the crossbar off was totally and utterly sublime.
    McCarthy and Hedges are great down the right.

Connor likes this.
  2. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Barnes is in another class. How we have him on loan for the season is f_ing unreal. By the end of the season he'll be the ONE.

3. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was really impressed with Williams today. First half an hour he ran the game and seemed to be involved in everything. Some of the football was fantastic, we were popping off one-twos left right and centre.

4. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Strange isn't it but you just knew that Derby would pull off a couple of surprises. We have most of the play but they take their chances.

5. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Williams looked good again although lost the ball a few times in dangerous areas. McCarthy superb going forward. Thought Pinnock improved as game went on and looked comfortable at the end.

Hedges tried a lot, some came off, but got out muscled a lot and looked a bit lightweight.

Hard to really judge as that was a completely second string Derby. Made 11 changes from weekend. Some of their play was absolutely woeful and their only threat was Anya down the right.

Enjoyable game, decent performance. Deserved the win. Think what's great is that theres still so much to improve on. Can only be a good thing.

Really hope Yiadom gets fit and is motivated. can only improve the back line if he plays as he did last year. With McDonald, Lindsey, Isgrove, Cavare and Gardner to challenge it's looking really promising.

6. Abruzzo Red

Abruzzo Red Well-Known Member

Retired - Formerly Gosport Tyke, 2013 - 2022
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree, great game and I thought that we looked sharp and you can see that this team is getting better and better week in week out. It is clear to see that the team have a great bond and work hard for each other, and this can only improve as the season unfolds. Exciting times ahead!

7. RedStriker

RedStriker Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sure, but don't expect it every week.

8. Abruzzo Red

Abruzzo Red Well-Known Member

Retired - Formerly Gosport Tyke, 2013 - 2022
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am not expecting that level every week, but the signs so far are very positive.

9. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really glad I made the last minute decision to go last night, as you say it was a cracking game and some of the football we played was amazing. Not sure when Adam Jackson became so good but long may it continue.

10. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, very entertaining and well done to the lads. Certainly looking a far more gelled unit in midfield and up front although defence got cut open far too easy early doors and teams are still getting round the back of us with comfort. Starting to show again that when we go behind it aint game over, team spirit looking good at the mo, onwards and upwards.

11. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I partially agree with you. What is exciting about this season is, I think, we have more depth. I think you could switch 4 players from last night's line up to freshen things up and we'd not reduce in quality. A point made elsewhere is that this was Derby's reserve team. There's some good teams in this division, but I think we can give any of them a game.

12. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On the run up to this game, the Derby manager Gary Rowett had said that like the last
    round, he was going to play some of his fringe players as he had confidence in them.
    He denied it would be a weakened team . Certain Derby fans are now posting
    comments congratulating us on our 3-2 win against their reserve team. All the players that
    featured for them last night are part of their Championship squad. We can only play against
    what is put out against us. It's not our fault that those featured last night are not good enough
    in their words to beat a team like Barnsley.!

Instead of wishing us well in the next round they are now posting comments like " enjoy your hammering
    at Wembley". Pure sour grapes from fans with delusions of grandeur or what.?

Kettlewell likes this.
  13. eas

eastlondontyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fully agree. Some proper sour grapes coming out.

Interestingly from a quick check this morning I reckon their starting 11 last night had nearly 1500 appearances at championship level or above between them last night. Haven't done a comparison with us but would be surprised if it pushed 200.

Kettlewell and Donny Red like this.
  14. ATY

ATYKE1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I made the comment last night that it looks to me like they were all playing for their places - the likes of Moncur and Barnes particularly seemed to be sweating blood and the resultant performance was a delight to see. As has been mentioned elsewhere the increased competition can only be healthy for us.
    I like especially that Moncur seems to have responded positively to the challenge for places.