The Elephant In The Room

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Conan Troutman, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A bit groundhog day but with regard to Roberts - I'd bet that he would have signed a longer contract with us for less money than he's on at Brum (but more than he was on here) - yet he was cashed in on at the expense of the quality of the team - the comment from Mr Cryne that we regret he's gone/wish we'd done more to keep him actually infuriated me - it's a bit late now, the team has been compromised to realise an asset. If that is the basis of how we will operate for the foreseeable future then can the takeover be completed tomorrow please ?

MarioKempes, Kettlewell and Redstar like this.
  2. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The plan that we refer to is only a way for the club to have financial security until the club is sold, we have signed a number of players on 3 year contracts which can compete at league 1 / lower championship level we will rely on these players plus our u23s and any sales up to a takeover happening. PC has ensured we have a club with or without him. PCs illness does make him exempt from criticism as a human life is more important than football and we have now to be patient and we must live with what we have.
    Spend the money now and no takeover happens and Patrick is gone I'd hate to think where we will be.

3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The worry is that you don’t get time to learn in this division as mistakes are much more likely to be punished.

Letting Roberts go without a ready made, not a punt (as that is what Lindsey is) replacement is truly laughable

It’s hardly relevant what Sunderland have done in the same period.

SirPsychoSexy likes this.
  4. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep it infuriated me too, glib comment to keep the faithful on board. Woulda shudda coulda.

Extremely Northern likes this.
  5. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Robbo was here for five months of 2017. He’s currently at Brum who are below us, he’s getting hammer from their fans, we beat them with ease recently.

I wish we’d kept him, as I’ve said. But understand the reasons why we didn’t.

6. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah £3 million of em

Or do folk who know, know Lindsey is better?

7. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    possibly so, but like everyone else on here I'm entitled to my opinion too. Fed up to the back teeth with reading the same disrespectful drivel over and over again. Even though the person writing it has the right to write it.

Now if he were to write what his "Plan" could be, that might be worth reading...

OxRed likes this.
  8. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Two pages of good debate now. Makes your "contribution" look a bit laughable now.

9. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You don't have any opinions. If you were a colour you'd be beige.

10. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t honestly believe you’d rather have Potts over Scowen.

Scowen’s a quality championship player. QPR fans have been raving about him. He was one of our best players for 2 & a half years. Consistently good.

Hecky played him in other roles because he could do it. Played wide right in 3 successive games when Watkins was suspended & we won them all with him winning man of the match in 2 of them. Hourihane played wide & couldn’t really do it, I’m pretty sure that Morsy couldn’t & I’m certain James wouldn’t make a winger. Surely that’s a compliment to Scowen, that he was so good Hecky would rather play him out of position on the wing than play Hammill there?

Tell me what Potts does better than Scowen?

Scowen’s a better passer, he’s got better stamina, he’s a better tackler, his positioning was better.

You can even argue he’s better in the air, won way more headers than someone his height should even chipping in with a few goals from corners.

If your argument was Potts might prove to be a better player in time then fair enough we’ll wait & see but I can’t see why anyone would prefer him to Scowen now

11. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Correct, it’s harder up here. So what should we have done then? I’m genuinely interested in hearing it. Because despite all the hammer that the club has taken over the last year or so, I’ve not seen one workable alternative suggested.

Lindsay is better than Roberts. Would have loved them together as a pair, mind.

I referred to Sunderland and found it relevant because the idea from some is that if we spend, we would be better off. If we had older heads, we’d be better off.

stairfoot.red likes this.
  12. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I'e debated with you before the other day I asked both you and jimmy cricket how a club with 11k home fans and the 2nd lowest budget in the league could move forward jimmy gave some good suggestions you went quiet.

13. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Please don’t go down that route, mate.

I prefer Potts.

If you prefer Scowen, fine. I won’t doubt you.

14. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe looked to bring more quality in over quantity and pay more in wages?

We’ve brought, what, 14 plus in. We will be extremely lucky if 7 are up to it. They are also worth less than we paid without (relative) on the field success.

For example, we will likely as not release Moncur at the end of his deal or even pay him to piss off.

I know you can’t really comment against any current player, I would not expect you to, but Potts over Scowen? Please.

Nowt will get changed on here. All we can hope is that we can get enough players good enough often enough and quickly enough. And that happens on the pitch.

Only one thing will make me withdraw my support this season and that is sacking Hecky. Some might call it disrespectful but I think it would be a disgusting decision and one you’d have to show your disgust with the only way you can.

15. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Scowen only got in the team after hourihane left and that's only because morsy went back to wigan, played right back in the promotion push and when him and James played in the second half of last season we hardly won a game. Potts has potential to be better than scowen who is playing in a poor qpr side. A scowen Williams cm pairing we would be no stronger than we are now as Williams can't lace James boots yet. With potts mcgheehan moncur mallan when they sort themselves out will be better than scowen, I like scowen but let's not make him out better than he was just to put down our own.

16. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How will Moncur “sort himself out”?

17. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    4 home wins isn’t good enough. No good playing a game of whataboutery. It’s poor.

I don’t disagree with much you’ve written but Potts over a Scowen that’s toeing the party line a bit too much.

18. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Sacking Hecky? Where have you got that from?

19. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    By finding the door marked exit and using it.

Conan Troutman and Redstone like this.
  20. YTB

YTBFC Guest

We’ve won more home games in 2017 with Potts than Scowen.

Check mate, mate.