The issue yesterday

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by DonnyTyke, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I was round at yours

2. Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour)

Jack Tatty (Formerly LouisBalfour) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All seats to be fitted with seat belts.

3. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    And air bags

4. Sam

SambaTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People wanting to stand will never win the argument as football has moved away from being a noisy, tribal, atmospheric environment to a theatre-like, sanitised family day out. We as a club have a 'sit-down' culture, where probably 80% of fans want to sit down and just watch the game. Nothing wrong with that of course. If you prefer to stand and sing with your mates, you're seen as a problem. Some other clubs have a standing culture, most of the top two divisions seem to do with notable exceptions. Leeds for example, Wednesday, Villa... they all stand for 90 mins and it seems to be the accepted norm. We never have and never will. That's why even when playing so well at Bradford, only a few fans were always singing and as noted by a few Bradford fans post-match, as a collective we were quiet. Everyone enjoyed the day, but the atmosphere was very muted. People singing at Blackpool were met with looks of bemusement and derision. I find that a shame.

I'd rather stand and sing all match personally. But I accept that we just aren't a fanbase that does that so I sit down and shut up most games. The only exceptions are at places such as Preston, Wigan, Coventry etc where the away ends are so big everyone can go where they want and so like-minded fans can congregate together. I understand the argument that to be inclusive to all we should protect people's rights to sit down. It's just a shame that those fans who prefer to stand and sing are seen as not worthy of any kind of accommodation. I reiterate, I would never knowingly block anyone's view and respect the fact that most of our fans prefer to sit quietly. But I also can't understand how people struggle to see how much better the atmosphere is when at least a reasonable number of fans are standing and singing, which then spreads across the stand to everyone else.

Micky Finn and DonnyTyke like this.
  5. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Doing what?

6. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I sing and shart sat darn and stood up. You don`t ev to be stood up to sing or shart.

Marlon likes this.
  7. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What has following through while farting gotta do with this debate?

TitusMagee likes this.
  8. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s a disabled guy and an old couple behind me so when people stand up in front of me I’m always torn between standing up to see but also not trying to block their view because they physically can’t stand up quick enough.

A standing area where fans can stand up without obstructing others sounds like the best idea to me.

9. Mrs

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sh it thread maybees.

10. Sam

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know you can sing whilst seated, I just personally think the noise and buzz created from a standing section of support is so much more intense and impressive. Just an opinion.

11. Mrs

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree, but some come across that you have to do that or you aint contributing. I only wish I cud stand 90 mins but am afraid am a bit moncurish on that.

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Why don't you sit and sing? I don't understand the link between standing and singing. You can sing just as loud and for just as long sat down.

edit - sorry didn't read all the thread before I posted that.

13. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No idea about averages, but I'd say that so far this season it's quieter than our Allan Clarke years, but noisier than some of the years that preceded them. It's not an easy thing to judge - even then, some games were noisier than others depending on the level of away support and the team's performance on the day. Not sure if that's a good enough answer, but it's the best I can do.

It does vary a lot though. Look at Hecky's promotion season. Awful football and awful atmospheres until Xmas, then the complete opposite through to the Wembley play-off final.

I just don't see any correlation between standing/sitting and atmospheres, whereas there surely must be a link between team performance and atmosphere.

MarioKempes likes this.
  14. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Atmosphere at Chelsea,Leeds,Walsall was rocking. As good an atmosphere as I’ve heard in years standing or sitting . If it’s right on pitch it’s right in stands . Standing sitting squatting kneeling wariver

15. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So there’s no link between the loudest away fans at Oakwell (Leeds/Wednesday at times/Villa/Newcastle) who all stand and the likes of us who mainly all sit n hardly hear a peep from?

P.S all 3 games your mention were late evening kick offs on Saturdays when people had been out drinking. Most of the ponty was stood for all 3 too.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  16. Sam

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But it doesn't happen does it? I know you can sit and sing, but when was the last time you saw an away following at Oakwell all sat down but belting songs out? Even Oxford and Wimbledon had significant sections stood up for 90 mins visibly, if not audibly singing. I don't think it's necessarily standing/sitting anyway that presents the real issue, it's more the location of fans. Without that nucleus of people starting songs off and continuing in the hope that others join in, no tangible atmosphere takes hold. The horrified looks I've seen people get whilst trying to sing in a seated area are enough to put anyone off. If our support had a good go at singing whilst sat down then fair enough, but it doesn't happen in my experience. I hope to be proved wrong this season as a lot of away ends will be full and therefore reserved seating will be enforced. Usually when that occurs those fans who try to start songs off are so spread out that nothing really gets going and that can only be because of the many who don't want to join in. Again, I have no issue with that either, it's just I truly believe that when everyone sits down and the singers are spread out, very little noise is made.

If I think back to the best away atmospheres I've been part of compared to the worst, there's seldom any correlation to the result or the performance. It's more to do with how the fans are situated across the stand. Fulham away in 2017 saw a wonderful sustained noise created for 45 mins by the upper third of the away stand. The bottom third was very quiet, but it worked a treat as everyone could feel comfortable. MK Dons away in that great cup game where we took 4000... about 300 fans in the corner never stopped singing and bouncing about. But where I was in the middle, it was silent throughout. Those 300 spread across the 4000 would have seen the energy and noise dissipated immensely. I know these are rather random examples, but I'm trying to illustrate a point I know won't go down too well! The noise created by a standing terrace at Brentford last season, during a poor game, far outstripped the noise made by similar numbers at Millwall, mostly seated, during a comfortable win. But look, the most important thing is that people can see the game they've paid to see. My enjoyment comes from the atmosphere and as part of a minority with that feeling, I'm happy to accept whatever happens. I just feel there's a compromise somewhere that could be found.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  17. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s no compromising with these people I’m afraid. Do as they say or your branded an idiot and should be banned.

18. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I sit in Ponty and saw the whole games mostly sat down , loads round us were sat clapping and singing . Can’t hear away fans where I sit . Loads hadn’t been drinking . Take your blinkers off

churtonred likes this.
  19. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can’t hear away fans where you sit? You must have a very special seat then. What a bizarre thing to say.

20. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    i could go along with a section of the ground in an informal type of agreement where standing is tolerated as long as there’s a section where it’s not tolerated at all. I think that would suit most fans tbh knowing they won’t be obstructing views and with like minded fans and visa versa for the sit darners who can watch the match in confidence. And I would willingly move my seat to a similar favoured location to accomadate this.