The recruitment process according to GG

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’re not acknowledging the position we found ourselves in with contracts last time though. The strategy isn’t to get to the Championship and be forced to replace all our star players within six months of the season kicking off.

The recruitment policy failed last time because too many players had to bed in to Championship football at the same time. It looks like we’re learning from our mistakes with contracts and as such, although we won’t know until it happens, will be able to avoid a fire sale of our key men and bring in new recruits to work alongside them rather than direct replace.

redrum, ark104 (v2), Hicksy and 4 others like this.
  2. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I feel like this needs to be a pinned thread. Or at least every time someone on here questions it again, they can be pointed in this direction.

Cheers for this Gally.

3. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are you sure Gally? Only part of that sounds a bit like a ‘monstrous lie’.

Gally likes this.
  4. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why don’t you highlight which part and why? Otherwise I’m not sure what reply you’re expecting

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    What happens if the manager identifies players of his own? He'll be watching football all the time. At least one game every week when we play, but in all liklihood dozens more games than that. He'll see players all the time who he rates highly and believes can do a job for us. Do these have to be analysed through the system? If they don't score as highly statistically as others in the same position is he not given the option to choose them? If that's the case, our manager doesn't sign the players. Just because he says yes to what he's offered, because we simply have to get bodies in, doesn't mean that's who he wants

If I want chicken curry for tea but I'm offered a choice of pizza, fish and chips, lasagne or nothing I'll choose one of those three. You could legitimately say I have the final choice on what I have for tea, but I'll not be getting anything like what I wanted.

6. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Heck chose Ugbo. Johnson chose Wilkinson. Stendel chose Bahre. There’s examples of the Head Coach identifying players on their own.

Your example of your tea isn’t relative though is it, because you’ll have identified you want chicken curry and been offered three different options of curry based on that. And had involvement in getting to a preferred three.

redrum and Mateo Corbo like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Read it again, what Gally has written, it's only once it has been whittled down to three that the manager is involved.

Ps I've identified I wanted something for tea, the choice I've been given didn't include what I wanted

8. Ask

Ask BFC Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stendel hand picked Bahre.

9. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You asked a question about what if the Head Coach identifies a player outside of the pure statistical strategy. I gave examples how when that had happened with each recent Head Coach.

Gally’s post also shows how the Head Coach is involved in the strategy at the start and identifying the type of player needed for each role in the team. He then comes back in at the end to see what the recruitment team have found.

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    So you're saying the manager does get to sign the players he wants. He goes to GG with the player he wants and we sign him, if we can afford him. I'm wrong by stating that doesn't happen.

Why then are we wasting all that money on this statistical stuff?

11. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why does it have to be one or the other? And by wasting money, do you mean the strategy and system that has given us some great players, performances and transfer fees?

Suppose one of out three ain’t bad from the Head Coach choice though. But yes you’re wrong by saying that doesn’t happen, as my examples show.

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm saying we're wasting money if we just sign the player the head coach wants and don't go through the statistical analysis. Seems completely redundant doesn't it. Or are we using it and overruling who the manager wants and giving him a choice of three others. Or are we are using it to test his choices and everyone has passed Or is each head coach allowed to choose one for himself and the rest he has to choose from what is selected for him.

You can't have it both ways Loko. Either we sign the player the manager wants and the system is redundant or we sign the players the system uncovers and not the players the manager identifies If the player the manager originally selects and the system identifies are in perfect harmony then again the system is redundant because we already have just one guy able to identify these players.

13. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can have it both ways providing one method is preferred and the norm, which is the stats route. I think that’s extremely short sighted to suggest otherwise. Any Head Coach has to sign up to this process and strategy before taking on the job, but if they know of a player who can add to the squad and is in line with our recruitment policy, why would you shoot yourselves in the foot and not listen?

Stendel has signed up this strategy but has also highlighted a player in Bahre that could improve the squad. A player perhaps not on our radar but in line with our recruitment policy.

Wilmersdorfer Winky likes this.
  14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    So, on the whole you agree, the manager does not choose his own players You just don't want to say it.

15. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m “laughing and pointing at relegation.” We’re in the third tier of English football! Last year we had one of the most abject seasons in our history. We have a recruitment policy that appears to discount 70% of those that play professional football, not on ability but age.
    Although i’ll wait before making a final comment on the January transfer window (because it’s not yet over) it has been another poor one where we spend most of the month crapping ourselves and the only reason the fans are pretty quiet about it is because the Coach is performing miracles.

16. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    70%?

17. Kettlewell

Kettlewell Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm sure,as I was there as well when Gauthier said this,so no it's not a lie. Something to add to this recruitment thread, is that the club uses recruitment and scouting agencies around the world. Some Premier league clubs have their own staff. The owner of Brentford FC,has 85 employees in a company analysing Data on players ,this is available to all clubs (for a fee). Claudio Ranieri is a big fan of WyScout. I imagine James Cryne's Analytical Model,works in a similar way, in addition to data gained from Medical and Sports science staff.
    I feel our way of recruitment is effective.

18. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No idea who you’re directing that at, but if it was me, then no I don’t agree for all the reasons mentioned in this thread saying the exact opposite.

19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think the monstrous lie quote is in relation to the Patrick Cryne address where he used the same phrase and spoke about his son's involvement or not in the recruitment process at Oakwell. I tried to check exactly what was said but I believe it has been removed from sound cloud

Kettlewell likes this.
  20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    S
    So it's a complete waste of money then because the manger identifies all the players..