The recruitment process according to GG

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s an estimate of the number of players who are 25 yrs old plus.

2. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Honestly. I always had you down as better than this mate. I’ve actaully completely lost what your view point and opinion is now.

The Head Coach is directly involved in all recruitment. From the stage of identifying the type of player they need for each position, to looking at videos of the shortlist provided by the recruitment team (the job they’re paid to do), possibly live scouting them, and highlighting the preferred order of any top three or top five list.

It also looks like we’re flexible and savvy enough to listen to the Head Coach if his previous experience identifies a player that fits in with our recruitment policy, as Bahre has proven.

When the Head Coach had free reign we weren’t signing Horuihane, Scowen and Winnall. But Treacy, Lita and Tom Kennedy. In relation to where the modern game is now, and technology available to us, I think recruitment is something we have nailed down pretty well as a football club.

3. Dalestykes

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you’re being pretty selective on the examples you’re using there and it’s easy to come up with examples that show the other point of view.

What’s your understanding of the Coach’s role in transfers out?

4. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Using Jays earlier analogy of food the way I'm reading it is Stendel says he wants food. James asks him whether he'd like a takeaway, a restaurant meal or something home made. He says takeaway because he wants a curry but is offered pizza fish and chips or lasagne (must be some weird takeaways round jays end) then he is forced to either accept something he doesn't want or goes hungry.

It's a perfectly valid point to raise that other than asking for a player in a certain position the manager appears to be kept out of the loop of player recruitment until the thousands of footballers in that position have beenn whittled down based on statistics and future resale value to just 3 players in the world.
    If Stendel says no to those 3 players because he knows better than a computer or some lad who's never played a game of football and never managed a football match in his life then what happens? Is he left without a player? Would the club allow him to sign somebody who doesn't get a green light from the computer?

It's all well and good giving us one scenario on how we sign players but it leaves a lot of unanswered questions. It also in my mind appears to contradict what the previous owner said massively.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I haven't expressed an option on what I think is the right way to go because I really don't know. On the one hand we've signed some good players recently and on the other, using the current system, the best players we've ever had wouldn't have come to Barnsley. Players like Glavin, Hignett, Ward and Redfearn would have been deemed too old. Also statistics will only show you so much. Statistically this team is far better than Hourihane et al. In my opinion, Hourihane's team would beat the current lot easily. Our eyes and brains are very good at telling us who are good players.

Under the current system the manager does not identify the vast majority of players we sign. He's given a choice identified by others. There's a few exceptions but that's generally how it works. You know this too But you won't say it in so many words and I don't understand why. It's easy, our manager does not identify the majority of our players. I haven't even said this is a bad thing, just a fact. You must believe it's a bad thing I'm guessing because you won't say it. I find that very interesting because the club won't say it either

Django and Dalestykes like this.
  6. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Weren't we also signing Ashley ward, Ronnie glavin, Bruce dyer, Bobby hassell, Neil redfearn and some of the most successful players in the history of Barnsley football club?

Haven't we, since adopting this policy signed knassmuller, Evans, Townsend, Kayden Jackson, payne and kpekawa amongst others?

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    And now we're signing players like Knasmulner, kpekawa, D'Alneida and Ugbo if I'm being as selective as you.

8. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's impossible for the manager to indiviually determine every player the club signs. He can make suggestions based on evidence, but it'd be wrong not to compare them with thousands of other players he hasn't had chance to have a look at.

Going back to the analogy, Stendel will say he wants fish and chips, and by the way, he had some good snap from the chippy where he used to work. He'll identify specific things he requires - curry sauce - and set the club off to find him summat. The club will go on Just Eat (the spreadsheet) and compare ratings, delivery times, how many scraps you get, if the curry sauce is any good and then offer a choice of cod, haddock or plaice.

JamDrop likes this.
  9. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe because I believe the Head Coach has more involvement and say than you’re trying to allude to? I’m also not sure how different this would have been to most signings in the last 20 years either, so as I don’t see it as a negative at all I’m not sure there’s anything to ‘admit’ to or ‘say’ as such. Also, linking what I wont say and the club won’t say? I’m lost there.

10. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ugbo signed by the Head Coach. Profit made on Knasmulner. Didn’t Sessi get an awful injury?

Would argue my selective choices played a lot more first team football than yours.

11. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You seem to know a lot about who signs who lately and a lot of behind the scenes info. Reminds me of when SM went for tea and biscuits and came out as a club superfan

12. Dalestykes

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d still like to know your understanding of the Coach’s role in transfers out?

13. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’ve never had a biscuit at Oakwell.

What behind the scenes info am I sharing? Do you mean what’s shared by the club at events the public are free to attend? Or what is put in to official press releases that we can all read?

Nice try but you are way off

14. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Genuinely don’t know as it’s never been talked about. I imagine every player has a value and if someone hits that value we sell and move on, in the main.

January 2017 feels too random to draw conclusions permanently, but I doubt the Head Coach wanted to sell those players but probably understood the situation.

15. Ste

Steve Wood Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This all hinges on what the owners regard as success. Maybe recruiting, developing and selling on young players for a considerable profit and then banking the money is all they're after. We may yoyo between the Championship and League One and they'll be perfectly happy as long as the money keeps coming in?

Cryne managed to sell off a whole team and recoup the money he'd invested in the club. That might be their motive, but aim to make some profit? Maybe they think, against all previous evidence, that you can make money from football?

The fans want progress up the leagues, maybe that isn't the owners priority, but they'll be happy enough should it happen...

16. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s no evidence at all that Ugbo was a player picked by the head coach. Meeting a player before he joins is just routine regardless of who decides the club want to sign him

17. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nobody knows everything, and what I know might be incorrect, but it wasn’t just meeting a player before him joining with a lot more to it than that. There definitely isn’t ‘no evidence’ from my side.

18. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't there an argument that the age criteria and use of statistics are two fundamentally different things? I appreciate age is being used as a defining statistic in the strategy but doesn't have to be. IMHO the use of statistics as set out in Gally's post seems eminently sensible approach to recruitment. But I would certainly like to see a blend of older players too.

Whilst an older player might not have resale value they could create huge value through their role in the development of younger players, and bring experience which could translate to improvement on the pitch.

Loko the Tyke likes this.
  19. Red

Redsnut Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I.m not so sure heckys team would beat this team easily in fact it could go the other way.

20. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was the worst we had ever seen. You didn’t bother with altrincham so cannot really comment. It improved.