The recruitment/transfer policy

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jack Tatty, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you can’t isolate a replacement you don’t sell that’s pretty obvious isn’t it?

2. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the point was 1 goal in 10 attempts.

3. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

He must have had a lot of attempts in those 43 games....

Django likes this.
  4. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s laughable. I’m looking forward to seeing these 230 attempts

5. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with you but to he probably did, to be fair. The sheer number of shots we were taking last season masked the fact that the whole team's conversion rate was pretty woeful.

I said last season that we might struggle in the championship when we weren't racking up 20-25 shots every game, and that's before I thought we'd be stupid enough to sell KM and not replace him.

Redstone and Jimmy viz like this.
  6. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That's fine to say Moore isn't good enough for this league. So we got shut and replaced him with? No one. I'd rather have Moore than no one.

Geddiswasguud likes this.
  7. Gol

Goldthorpe-Red Well-Known Member

Courier at DPD group UK.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is this a serious question? If so, it's a ridiculous one. I wasnt aware that there was a global shortage of strikers...

8. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was offering an explanation for someone else’s post.

However it was a common occurrence last season for us to have double figures of ‘shots on target’ and twice as many ‘shots’ so I don’t think it’s that wild an accusation.

9. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s fair to say that Moore wasn’t having all those attempts. Moore at league 1 level is probably a 1 on 3 chances player in the Championship he is 1 in 5. But he definitely wasn’t scoring 1 in 10 last season.

10. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you’re attempting to have a serious statistical discussion with me in response to someone else’s throwaway comment.

I’ve neither the time nor inclination to dig through Moore’s stats in L1 and even if I did, we both know that any ratio for the Championship would be just a guess.

However; you could examine his current championship performance to see how much we’re missing him.

BTW it’s obvious to all of us that there’s a question around our current strike force. The only difference being some of us don’t believe Moore is the obvious answer to that question.

11. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I'd say Moore was the obvious answer as he was already here. The recruitment team seem to have decided a unproven young Austrian lad is the answer though.

12. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t think the recruitment team see Schmidt as the answer, it’s obvious that we failed to sign the main target.

Moore was unproven in the championship and wanted to leave, so to me that’s double jeopardy.

But you’re entitled to your opinion.

13. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Neither do I necessarily but an option is better than no option. How players play for other teams does not equate to their importance to us. Ashley Ward was terrible when he left us as were Currie and Tiler they still left gaping holes in our team. If we had moved Moore along for a better option I don’t think anyone would have cared to replace him with pretty much no one is the issue.

Geddiswasguud and Shepley Red like this.
  14. Ses

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The goals were nice, but far from the most important thing that Moore offered. His stats at Wigan are irrelevant - how you can look at our performance in the final third so far this season and not miss him, or a player like him, is beyond me.

Stendel thought that bringing on Halme at centre forward (!) against Birmingham was some sort of an answer - would be have done so had Moore been on the bench?

I can easily forgive the departures of Davies and Lindsay. I can even accept that we offered Pinnock the best deal possible and he still turned it down. But selling KM so close to the end of the window was something else. It shouldn't even have been considered unless we had a similar player, with similar experience, sitting there with a pen in his hand ready to sign a contract.

Geddiswasguud and Django like this.
  15. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do think we need 'someone', that's fairly obvious - but Moore wouldn't be my first choice, and any player disrupting the dressing room because he doesn't want to be here is a liability.

16. Ses

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not as much of a liability as putting a central defender up front.

Other than that your post is fine by me. But if they knew that he was disrupting the dressing room, and that he had to be sold, then they had the whole summer to replace him. They didn't.

17. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you succeeded at everything you set out to in life, or sometimes have you not quite managed?

It's quite obvious from the quotes during the summer they intended to break the club record - and for whatever reason they failed. I'm puzzled that people don't see that for what it is, failing to get the target is a serious failing but it's far from the deliberate act of sabotage that many see.

scarf likes this.
  18. Ses

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I haven't succeeded at everything in life, no. I don't generally like talking about what I do on here, but I run a bar. And what you've said strikes a chord with me. So on any given day, I need to put together a board of between 14-20 beers. They've all got to be good, they might take different times to be ready to sell (which introduces serious logistical difficulties) but, importantly, I need to offer a good range. I know exactly what that range is - a certain number of pales (some stronger than others), maybe a bitter, perhaps a mild, two stouts or porters,a couple of sours, etc. There are a lot of beers on limited supply which I'd love to sell,and which I try to get hold of where I can. Sometimes that's not possible. But, even if I can't get exactly what I want, I can still put together a board of beer which keeps my customers happy. And they're still good beers, because I like to think I know what I'm doing.

It's a ridiculous comparison, of course. But the point is that I try and, if I can't quite manage it, I don't just give up. I have a responsibility to my customers, and that sometimes means that I take the next best thing that's offered in order to give them what they want. In my case that's a good board of decent beer. In their case it's a team that doesn't require a central defender to play centre forward.

Django likes this.
  19. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still no suggestion of ANY striker in our price range, within our wage structure that guarantees goals in the championship. So more bleating, foot stamping and general bairning then.

20. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No one we sign is guaranteed at this level. We expect to sign someone that’s a suitable replacement to Moore, the replacement may ultimately prove not up to the demands of the championship but at least sign someone who has similar characteristics to give us a chance.

We aren’t scouts. None of us were recommending Mads Anderson, Bambo Diaby & Toby Sibbick either, it didn’t mean them players didn’t exist.

How is anyone on here supposed to know our wage structure or how much we can spend on a striker anyway? How are we supposed to know which players around the continent & lower leagues fit that criteria?

That’s why we have scouts & data experts. It’s their jobs to plug holes in the squad so it’s fit for purpose not Dave from Kendray’s job.

Goldthorpe-Red, Redstone and Sestren like this.