Their side of the story

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by OxRed, Oct 1, 2017.

1. OxR

OxRed Well-Known Member

From the Millwall forum...

A huge majority of them will still not take any responsibility for the toxic atmosphere at Wembley.

Which I found bizarre personally. I lived in Sheffield for a bit and at the time worked for a contract builder / cleaner. We had many jobs over in Barnsley and let me tell you the place is rough & not in a Deptford/Bermondsey rough but vibrant and inner city kinda way, just rough and depressing. A bit like Thanet. And anyone who has been on a cheap package holiday to Southern Europe or a stage do in Eastern Europe will have encountered northern 'lads' & have seen first-hand their behaviour.

My point being is that these Barnsley fans on social media & who rang into football phone-ins to bemoan 'scumbag Millwall fans' almost made out that Barnsley the football club and the town are some sort of bastions of reserved, middle-class behaviour; and that the narrative of the day is that they came down t'London in their bobble hats and scarfs, with some Yorkshire tea in a flask to drink with scones minding their own business, but were set upon by rabid Millwall fans, who resembled orcs from Lord of the Rings.

However, as I mentioned at the the time - I took my granddad & step-nan to this game, and given they are in their late 80s and one is registered disabled I had to park in the Barnsley end of the stadium, as that is where the entrance for all wheelchair fans is.

My experience was this:

I had to drive through hordes of very pissed up, groups of northern 'lads' who were making sure everyone knew that they were very northern and therefore very hard. I saw a few pushing a Sikh steward around, after he asked them to let cars pass by. I also saw a group of them throw cans of bitter at a Millwall supporting dad with his two kids.

When I went on Wembley Way to meet my uncle and cousins, who had come by tube, I witnessed similar groups of Barnsley fans waiting until they were separated onto their section of walkway to once again start throwing cans of bitter at the Millwall fans. As the two groups once again merged at the top scuffles broke out - and yes, Millwall's contingent had far more up for giving it back than the Barnsley lot did, so to any normal Barnsley fans caught up in this it must have seemed very intimidating and a bit unfair. Ie the narrative 'Millwall are scum & set upon us'.

Yet, this is not the full picture at all. Indeed, as I made my way back down to the car to take my granddad in to the wheelchair entrance (next to the Barnsley turnstiles) a group of Barnsley 'lads' decided to once again throw cans at the Millwall fans there (all with a disabled relative!!). Again, Millwall being Millwall, there were plenty who gave it back, and in the melee a rather drunk northern 'lad' knocked my step-nan flying. A fellow Millwall fan got him by the throat & I helped her up and quickly got them out of there, as my granddad was clearly upset (especially as 30 years earlier he would have been able to give this scrawny (you know, scrawny in that way some northern 'lads' are, like they've never had a decent meal in their entire lives, which they probably haven't to be fair)) 20 year old what for.

Again, my point is if any Barnsley fan thinks that this was a case of poor little Tykes turning up to enjoy their day in northwest London suburbia only to be set upon by evil, blood thirsty Millwall fans they are very naive. I do have sympathy for all the nice Barnsley fans who did get caught up in the trouble & concede that if it was on Wembley Way then by dint of our larger numbers & indeed a higher ratio of 'up for it' fans, it would have seemed like that. But come on...you know what Barnsley is like on a Friday or Saturday night. Try to take into account that a significant number of Barnsley 'fans' contributed to that toxic atmosphere, but because it wasn't a Reading or Norwich they were doing their 'we are hard northerners' obnoxious routine to they came unstuck & so you had to bare the brunt.

When we played Swindon in 2010, yes, there was some minor stuff, as you'd expect when 70,000 people gather in the same place - but there wasn't a toxic atmosphere. The reason? Because in the main men from Wiltshire do not have this massive chip on their shoulders about being 'tough' and 'hard' & needing to prove it to 'soft, shady drinking southerners'.

Read more: http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.c...ead-view.asp?tid=125530&start=1#ixzz4uH0UfJku

2. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair report from what I witnessed.

3. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Stopped reading after the first paragraph. As usual with Millwall, it's someone else's fault.

I was at Wembley, I saw what happened. It was started by a load of chavs rushing the stewards who were segregating the two sets of supporters.

Wembley are still the ones to blame for me as they could have prevented the situation by having the Barnsley fans sat in the centre of the upper tier. It would have cost a few bob extra in terms of stewards but it's a price worth paying.

I don't blame Millwall, most of them were born like that, they can't help.

4. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

In a nutshell. It's everyone else's fault, not Millwalls.

At wasn't them running half way around the top tier to get at reds fans. The floor was slippy and they all fell into the line of stewards.

"Throwing bitter" haha. Wouldn't be lager cos we only drink bitter being northern.

Also the bit about his elderly grandparents and pushing a Sikh around! You couldn't make it up.

He's missed out the bit about some northerners eating a kitten.

Priceless stuff

PLOBBY, occook and Micky Finn like this.
  5. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No mention whatsoever of the most disturbing violence; the attack by their retards in the upper tier. Still, that would piss all over his imaginative take on events, so no surprise.

6. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would be bitter?

Bigger club. Better club. More successful club. And if memory serves we won the game.

No reason for us to be better when it comes to Sarf Landan's version of Rotherham Utd.

7. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sick of hearing the "woe is me" rhetoric from Millwall.
    No-one in their right mind would deny that Barnsley has its share of idiots.
    But the level of vile behaviour shown by their fans everywhere from central London to Wembley and out of the ground, was something else.

Never have I seen a train where female opposition fans get on and our fans intimidate them relentlessly, like their fans did.
    Never have I seen female Barnsley fans on a train effing and jeffing at other people in the carriage, like their fans did.
    Never have I been to a match where male Barnsley fans try to restrain female opposition fans, like their fans did to me and my daughter.
    Never have I heard the anti gay anti racist bile that I heard from Millwall fans.
    Never have I seen hundreds of Barnsley fans charge a section of a ground just because we're losing, like their fans did.

The excuses that come from that vile club and its vile fans are beyond a joke. Never accept responsibility for their actions. Same Vs Bradford (twice)
    Keep beating them Barnsley.

Fev Red, BobT and Conan Troutman like this.
  8. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That moody guy on there is an absolute tit. Remember reading is posts around the time of playoff final. He’s repeated some of his drivel this week. He talks out of his arse. Everyone thing he posts is complete rubbish

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What an edifying read where we are indulged with great contributions and anecdotes from some of Bermondsey's finest. For those of you who didn't read it all there are some highlights below. Fill your boots...

- Generally speaking the inhabitants of Barnsley are the epitomy of thickness. They have the dumbest accent in the whole of England and are not without reason known by other slightly less retarded (but only just) towns in Yorkshire as the Dingles.

- Anyone who goes in a pub and asks for a butty should be kneecapped.

- Their manager is painfully northern. The skinny, rat faced northern stereotype.

- I genuinely read an article about Romanian migrants from Bucharest being appalled at the standard of living in many northern towns of the UK. This was in response to papers like the Mail saying we'd be swamped with them coming over for a 'better life'. But apparently the educated, urban Romanians think places like Barnsley are a shithole too!

10. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Amazing how just a couple of months before we were at Wembley, against a soft, shandy drinking southern side and we didn't turn up with the massive chip on our shoulders.

Who cares what they think anyway, small club, **** side and a small fan base with the worst accent in the world.

11. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ' painfully northern, the skinny rat faced northern stereotype'

I'd be quite happy with that

12. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Poor kents are probably used to sayin such twaddle.

13. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

As oppose to their own manager who really does look like a hamster.