Theresa get a confidence vote

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Dragon Tyke, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Not arguing with you about the justification or implementation, mate, just wanting to be clear that it was the UK government, not England.

arabian_ian likes this.
  2. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was fat finger typing quickly when I said it without thinking...just replying to the OP rather than the bigger picture.
    I would agree she is waiting, but I think it's because she is forced to wait, the last GE must have been one hell of a shock, who would have thought SNP would lose just shy of half a million votes and 21 seats, picking up 36.9% of the vote.....losing Alex Salmond & Angus Robertson?
    I had to Google it for the details and I have to admit I didn't know the result was that bad, tbh she dare not even consider taking it on at this stage....if the next GE doesn't show a big improvement it will be on ice for some time as I see it.

arabian_ian likes this.
  3. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Worse the seats lost went to tories. But then again wonder how many want the tories out now? Interesting times.

4. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just a reminder that had the SNP not campaigned for a second indyref, they probably wouldn't have lost a load of seats to the Tories at the last general election. Had that not happened we wouldn't have a Tory government. Hopefully we'll get English independence soon enough.

5. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So what did everyone who voted out vote for?

6. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What I genuinely can't fathom is how the Tories did so well.

7. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The simple answer is they voted Leave or Remain for their own reasons , some for just one reason some for a myriad of reasons and it's impossible to say much more than that, no matter how many surveys or polls are done you can never really get a definitive answer.

8. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

No offence intended here, I was merely pointing out that to liken this to a general election is not correct. You vote for a Party, you win or lose, the new Govt takes office. Then after they’ve been in office you get a chance to vote again, knowing what they are like at running the country...

You don’t vote for your party, lose then demand another election straight away...

9. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’ve hit the nail on the head on exactly why we should have a second vote. We now know what leaving would be like now that they’ve had a chance to work out a deal.

It’s been 2 years of negotiations, it’s not like the vote was only last week and nothing has changed since then. A new vote without the terms of a deal would be silly but it makes complete sense to vote now.

10. Spa

Sparkfield red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well I have to say that was well orchestrated.She gets backed into a corner with nowhere to go,so she cancels the vote,
    She then scuttles bleating back to the EU,they tell her no way will anything change but we will help you out.So the next
    thing we hear there is a vote of no confidence,she comes out of No.10 and says “let’s get on with it as soon as possible “
    The vote is that night,she wins 200 to 118,she stays for another 12months,she has united two thirds of the party,and those
    ***** across the water are patting each other on the back and saying “look Theresa we told you we could help you” and all
    done and dusted in a day.They don’t get to be slimy ******* without a lot of practice.

11. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

How do we know? From what I see neither side knows much, both just share stories of doom and gloom, or wealth and abundance...

lk311 likes this.
  12. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I thought it died in June 2016 when the dodgy result was announced.

13. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only problem with that Ian, is both sides were ‘inaccurate’ with some claims( being nice there) and since the last vote MSN has been full of scare stories of what could or could not happen (a lot of which are misleading lies) so it makes it difficult to have a fair vote as a result.
    Yes we know the principals of the deal now, but people still don’t really know what will actually happen and how it will affect the general man.
    Don’t get me wrong not against the idea of another referendum just not sure how it can be balanced.

Austiniho likes this.
  14. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yet we've had another general election (despite the fixed term parliament act) SINCE the referendum in 2016. It's 2 1/2 years since the referendum, and if there are any people out there who have accurately predicted where we would be at this stage and the journey taken to get here, then they really need to be doing the lottery every weekend.

The only reason leavers don't want a second referendum is because of the fear of losing. That's not democracy, that's convenience.

If a second referendum ratified May's deal, fine. There is no ambiguity and that would go some way to allowing 48% of the country to move on. Metaphorically and in some cases literally.

15. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I genuinely believe most people weren’t actually voting to leave as in they were desperate to leave EU, but like the rest of the World were disillusioned and were actually voting for a change to the status quo and it just happened to be this on the agenda.

16. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I remember them being called liars too, I also remember when they were proved to be liars.

I remember having the misfortune to read most of the National papers supporting leave and foisting these lies upon us.

17. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Completely agree. I think "protest" vote provided a significant skew. Just like there have been significant swings in protest votes in council elections, MEP elections and then swings back the other way at GE's.

18. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You don’t vote for a party without knowing what they are going to do either.

19. Burgundy Red

Burgundy Red Well-Known Member

Ninja (retired)
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Literally, indeed. We’re much less affected than many but Mrs Burgundy Red and I are resigned to a long period in limbo. Much as we’d like to we can’t go to France full time yet as amongst other things we spend the winter months taking turns caring for her now 98-year-old aunt in Scotland. We’ve weighed up our options and realistically all we can do is continue to work towards our planned move date of April 2024, hope that whatever arrangements are in place will still allow us to go and accept that even if they do then we’re almost certainly going to end up paying a fortune for things like private health care in our retirement despite an ideological aversion to it and both having a full national insurance record, which counts for nothing these days. The other option is to sell up over there and come back to stay in post-Brexit Britain. It’s nothing in the grand scheme of things I know but to us it’s everything we’ve worked towards and invested much of our savings into for the last 15 years.

20. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Can fully understand that and we've had discussions too about what to do. We're both very lucky that we could survive a massive housing dip and wide scale unemployment from the worst possible no deal scenario... but frankly, the more I travel, the less appealing England is as a country, especially outside of London. Like you, there are numerous family ties that would be extremely hard to square, and my wife has a number of chronic conditions to manage, so practically, moving to a more welcoming pleasant country would be harder to fulfil.

I certainly expect an increase in people leaving the UK, and I imagine the EU states will do what they can to encourage liberal minded people to shift careers, which in itself, would be an aid to businesses relocating fully.