This is my first chance to post since the January window...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Nardiello, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been unable to log in for a while, so this is my first chance to comment.

I was initially pretty devastated about the sales of Winnall and Hourihane, and to a lesser extent the failure to get Morsy in. It made total sense to sell Bree, so I won't go into that.

Losing two players who've been so important to us was a big blow, but I can accept that Aston Villa is a huge step up for Hourihane in terms of money and the size of the club. It's a shame we couldn't have tempted him to stay, but it sounds like we offered him pretty much double his current wage to stay (way out of line with our wage structure). Hourihane himself handled it like a true gent and showed genuine respect for the fans and the club. He went out like a hero...

...unlike Sam Winnall. Winnall sounded like he couldn't wait to get out the door, throwing a tantrum to get his move. You only have to look at the statements by the club and SW to see that. Our only mistake was letting him go to our local (and play-off) rivals for so little - we let them rob us, and that may have cost Linton his job. He's tainted 2 and a half great years at the club with this, and I hope he regrets it looking back in 10 years time.

The thing is though, we're still in a great position! I think we'll not be far off the playoffs, unless we get a few injuries etc.

We've done ok with incomings. James and Mowatt are the best we could have possibly got to replace Hourihane and Morsy. Mowatt was stupid and cost us on Tuesday but I think he's got a lot of quality. James looks like a great player - he'll be huge if we go on a run now. I wish we could've got a striker in, but Bradshaw, Watkins and Armstrong should be plenty. It's a pity that Jones wasn't a permanent deal as well.

Our number 1 priority now should be to get Josh Scowen signed up to a 3 year deal, and Watkins if possible (he seems keen to wait until the summer and weigh up his options). Sign Scowen up and I'm positive about next year as well as this season.

Rant over. Come on you reds!

2. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with all that pretty much.

Would add that we should offer McDonald and Roberts improved contracts (with premierleague club buy outs at a respectable price). They earn more in next 18 months, still get a move up if it comes along, and we don't worry about their contracts next year.

Agree Scowen signing will mean business. Would rate him as important as Davies, Hammill and Roberts.

3. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Add Yiadom to that list too

4. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was talking with family last night and everyone was convinced that "Yids" been away on international duty........did us a favour.
    They were saying (not quite my view) that he would have had a bid or three for him. Well anyway thank god he's our boy......still think he is our most consistent performer,,,give that lad a longer contract, we will defo benefit.

5. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Decent summarisation .
    Just to add that I doubt very much Winnall will regret his move tbh .
    He was at a club he had no affinity to ,didn't even live in the town ,git himself a move to what in his mind is a bigger club with a quadruple pay rise .
    Even if he dont make it at Wendy his three year contract
    Is almost guaranteed and he'll go to another club doing the Job he likes and riding on the goals he scored for us and Scunny .
    It was never a losing situstuon for SW
    Unless we get up to prem or win a major trophy he won't be bothered.imo

6. ime

imer red Well-Known Member

poor pensioner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree

7. cas

cassie New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with all the above apart from first priority has got to be Hecky. Some of these players will only stay if he does.