This Rooney Rule

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by DonnyTyke, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interested to see if there are any supporters of it. I have no issue with appointing a person of any race aslong as they are deserving of the job. Why should you HAVE to interview a black/Asian/other person if none of those candidates have the required experience or talent?

What If say in 10 years time the new trend in football are say Indian managers (a bit like Scottish were a few years back), is there any rules that you'd have to interview a white guy for role?

2. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree. It should be the best candidate for any job irrespective of colour, race, creed or whatever.

3. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seems like this has been done to death on here. The point is ethnic minorities aren't getting the opportunities. Therefore such drastic rules have to be put in place to promote change unfortunately.

What I Think, Baka and JamDrop like this.
  4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    In an ideal world of course anyone should get the job or an interview on merit. However, this current world has huge bias based on sexuality, gender, religion, race and age.

5. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't agree. I think there's far too many people out there playing the race or sexism card that as a society we're afraid of being labelled such. The most discriminated against person in today's Britain is the white, British male.

Dobbo25 likes this.
  6. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes, white middle aged supremacists do feel terribly threatened of late.

7. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    :rolleyes: I feel sorry for you if you actually believe that.

8. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Given the demographics in the Premier League an English manager should be guaranteed an interview.

To a certain extent the Rooney Rule has worked. The number of black head coaches increased, whereas the number has remained around the same in college football where the rule was not implemented. However, there are fundamental differences between American Football and soccer. The head coach will generally have an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator, who will be basically in charge of one entire section of a team. When a team is looking for a head coach they'll more often than not pick somebody who has excelled in one of those roles previously. American football had an issue with loads of skilled coordinators being over-looked. It was possible to measure how good they were, you can rank an offence or a defence by how many points it scores or how many yards it gives up. These people were not getting opportunities, so something was done. Where do we get these people in soccer? Do Paul Ince and Chris Houghton drive from one job interview to the next? The Rooney Rule would be wasted because there would not be sufficient BAME coaching talent to make up the numbers.

Dwight Yorke can bitch about not getting job offers, and I suppose he has a point when Phil Neville is managing to find work, but that's nepotism, not racism. Moreover the shortfall in BAME managers compared to the overall percentage of the total population is entirely due to a lack of Asians, but then there's also a significant lack in the number of Asian players. Black/African people make up 3% of the total population - they're significantly over-represented in the number of players, so why exactly are we trying to make the number of BAME managers match that percentage when it's not representative of the population as a whole? Why are we not trying to increase the representation of white players? Or perhaps we can just accept that sports is a meritocracy and trying to force some kind of social ideology on it, no matter how much the BBC would like to, is ridiculous.

ArchieRed likes this.
  9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm against positive discrimination but I don't think this falls entirely into that category. All it does is ensure that if a minority of suitable qualification applies they should be interviewed. It doesn't force their appointment so I don't think it's a problem.

10. Arc

ArchieRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think there's a certain number of managers getting 'recycled' from one club to another, people are averse (especially at premier league level) to 'take a punt' on new upcoming managers.

Allardyce, Pullis, Hodgson, Moyes, Pardew, to name a few, are just a few that hop from one job to another, because they have the knowledge & experience needed.

If Chris Houghton got the sack from Brighton, he would walk straight into another job, not because of the colour of his skin, but for the ability & experience he has & that's how it should be.

Chris Powell has just landed the Southend managers job, good luck to him, he's had a few jobs, with mixed results & i'd rather have him that Adkins who has had arguably more success, but has struggled with his last few clubs.

Some managers go to some clubs, fit in & find a level of success, other fail, that's football, each & every appointment is a risk, some more than others.

Paul Ince has several goes & failed, he actually probably had more chances than most, due to the fact that he could play a fair bit, but he didn't lose out on future jobs because of his skin colour, it was because he was rubbish!!

The problem lies in the lower league clubs, who perhaps take more of a gamble on managers with less experience & new blood coming into management for the first time, this is where the 'new' rule could take more effect, but there has to be a pool of black managers wanting to get into the game & i'm not sure percentage wise what this actually is.

11. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hahaha

12. Arc

ArchieRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What happens tho Mario if there isn't anyone with the 'suitable' qualifications to apply?

13. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    EH?!

14. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Then there is no obligation to interview anybody under the Rooney rule. It is there primarily to ensure that suitable candidates aren't excluded for the wrong reasons. I believe that if you have nothing to hide then there is nothing to worry about under this rule.

ark104 (v2) likes this.
  15. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    We're missing lots of data to analyse correctly. Would be very interested to see how many apply to how many are shortlisted to how many are appointed.

I often hear Ince and Barnes having their names trotted out, but look how many white managers have failed over and over again and keep getting jobs.

There was a sizeable shift in the 90s where many more black players were in the game. That number as they've retired haven't come through into the game into management. How many go into coaching, how many get badges, how many are actively blocked.

I don't know the answers, but I do recall a programme last year that tried to assess the likelihood of the UK getting a black PM and assessed the models of education and industry that made it highly unlikely.

I'd be unsurprised that nepotism played a part as well, and some of the new wave of owners from Russia and China aren't too proactive to recruit from the BAME pool.

16. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We need protection for the failed white manager.

Else what's going to happen when Moyes, Allardyce, Pardew, Pulis and Hodgson get sacked? No desperate club with a short-term view will ever go near them.

#prayforallardyce #savepardew #jesuispulis

Mateo Corbo likes this.
  17. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dwight Yorke.... lol .....you never heard him complaining when he was managing Jordon ......il get mi coite

18. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  19. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jesus

20. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I discussed this very point recently. My view is that a club has every right to not appoint Ince because of his record but if they then go on to appoint somebody like Pardew, Moyes, etc then they should be forced to explain themselves and convince us that their decision wasn't an issue of race

Jimmy viz likes this.