Train ticket prices

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by horsforthtyke, Mar 26, 2024.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It wouldn't be so bad if the service was reliable, but it's appalling. More often than not now I book a train to get to the destination far earlier than I need to, just because I can almost guarantee a cancellation or delay. The service from Sheffield to Stockport is currently just a write off. It's 30 miles! So bad that my daughter has just bought a car. So much for trying to help the environment.
    Before Christmas I took a train to York. Packed way beyond anything remotely safe. When I wrote to Northern asking why they continued to let passengers onto trains that were obviously already beyond capacity, the reply was not that they needed to look into the safety or comfort of passengers, it was simply "all available rolling stock is being used".

Incidentally I also looked at going to Burton via train, and decided against it. Easy trip on the train. Extortionate cost. No thanks.

Merde Tete likes this.
  2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    IIRC all proceeds go to the government who then pay out to the operators to run the services. It changed during Covid and never went back to the old model.

3. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    and the operators are....

4. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I believe you live in Sheffield? Google Derbyshire Wayfarer. I'd post a link but my phone is effin about...

5. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, my other half knows about all the shortcuts/ split tickets / Wayfarers etc, but even with that it's alot more expensive than it used to be. Not long ago I did £8 return to Burton.

6. hor

horsforthtyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So on this thanks for the info. Looks like Horsforth- Sheff £38.80, get off there go and buy the Derbyshire wayfarer and it's £65 in total. Still more expensive and, a now much bigger grumble, why on earth isn't this stuff advertised anywhere. Not being local I'd never heard of this ticket and, if this was an emergency, would have wasted nearly £90? Why wouldn't national rail website automatically give the cheapest option for pitys sake?

7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mostly around here, the British government. LNER, TPE and Northern are all under the operator of last resort...

8. der

derred Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With the Wayfarer for Burton last season it included a concession with an adult ticket. They've since messed about with it and removed that option, bumping up the cost of travelling with a child. Also, don't cut the time too fine between changing trains from Barnsley as you can only buy the Wayfarer from the Sheffield ticket office on the day of travel.

9. Barnsley Chopin

Barnsley Chopin Well-Known Member

Egghead
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd been looking at prices for Wombwell to Headingley for the cricket - not bad at £13.50 return.

For the Scarboro games its £55 return - so prob end up driving me and my Dad in my big audi and it will still be cheaper than the train.

10. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Get to Sheffield then buy a Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket which includes both Sheffield and Burton, the ticket lasts for a day with unlimited travel and costs £15.40 or £7.70 for old gits like me.

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/trans...rer/the-derbyshire-wayfarer-rover-ticket.aspx

Edit; Horsforth to Sheffield return is about £28.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  11. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Travelled a bit between Venice and Padova last year, which was a pleasure. Then on the fast train between Venice and Bologna. Blooming superb.
    Not sure if it was their equivalent of HS2 but it was quick, clean and efficient.
    The bit between Imola and Bologna; they had literally built the new line alongside the old, so you had a choice of older or newer service. I'm sure in time they might rip out the old one.
    Bet Britain has spent more on Project Management and feasibility studies so far than Italy has spent on a first class infrastructure.
    Those politically corrupt lazy backwards eye-ties, eh?

12. hor

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks but it's not worth the effort. Would have been two trains and direct from Leeds so guaranteed seats before Reds fans get on in Sheff. Now it's 3 trains incl a slower one from Leeds-Sheff and then time built in to go and buy the Derbyshire tkt at sheff tkt office as you can't buy online obviously. And then presumably stand to Burton. No ta.

13. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And still performing appallingly. Let's look at Transpennine Express as an example. On the Liverpool Lime Street / Manchester Airport and Manchester Stations to Huddersfield and the East / North East routes they cut the number of hourly services in December's timetable changes stating business re structuring as the reason and went on to state this was a temporary measure and would hopefully be reversed this December! Yeah right!!
    There was an hourly stopper service between Huddersfield and Leeds which has now been scrapped during off peak hours! They've reduced the rolling stock so most services now only have 3 carriages (even at peak times)!! It's scandalous what they've done and you've got the new MD claiming they've improved things!! The ****** needs slapping in the face!
    Now we're expected to pay higher train fares for a ***** service. Something needs doing ASAP because it's scandalous what's happening and it's putting people back on the roads because they don't want to pay such high fares for an unreliable service.

I'm on annual leave next week and for us (a family of 5 with 2 kids under 5) to buy Huddersfield/York day return tickets it would have cost £80! No chance we're paying that.

14. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You used to be able to get a Leeds to Huddersfield train after a night out at around 3 am. Now the last train is half past 10. It was the same for the reverse and now the last train to Leeds is half 11 from Huddersfield.

Shepley Red likes this.
  15. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think he is.

Shepley Red likes this.
  16. hor

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another classic today. Being dragged to watch Rovrum v Argyle tonight by bruv in law who is up from Cornwall. Meeting him and nephew there and getting train from Leeds.

Leeds- Rotherham £13.20 single. Leeds - Meadowhall £6.80 single. On the same train. And clearly Meadowhall is further. Figure that one out........

17. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Remarkable only in that it's increasingly less common.

18. tyk

tyke69 Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Had a week in Benidorm recently went to Alicante on the train took about a hour and half for two of us it was 9 euro 60 return so 4.80 each, very clean and efficient service and well used. Just shows that if priced right it will be used

19. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes I've used the same service its spot on,and great views too.

tyke69 likes this.
  20. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Leeds - Meadowhall is served by several routes (via Barnsley, Doncaster and Dearne Valley) whereas Leeds - Rotherham is served by fewer trains perhaps?