Transfers.........a way forward

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Young Nudger, Jan 15, 2017.

1. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It's called attention seeking

2. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly

3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm sure the club feel with hindsight they could've dealt with it better (contract offers), but we don't know what approaches and discussions happened and when.

Let's look back though. If we're saying contract extensions should be negotiated no later than 18 months from their expiry, what period would they have taken place for Hourihane, Winnall, Davies, Scowen, Bree, Watkins, Williams...?

Our joint worst ever run of consecutive losses and just having gone out to Altrincham in the cup. Williams was perennially injured, Winnall latterly had injury problems, so too Bree and wasn't near the first team at all much.

There were many comments about how terrible they were, hearts of peas, not being able to play in a 2, etc Did the fans have appetite to extend contracts then?

We then went on a crazy run of form. Suddenly, everyone became a hero. The difference was huge. We barnstormed Wembley twice and the rest is history.

In the summer, many fans suggested we may struggle, that Winnall wasn't a championship striker, that Hourihane might find it harder to create etc etc

Fastforward a few months and realising they are championship players and they are coveted, we're behind the curve and the players have all the leverage.

What if we'd extended deals for those players and we were still in league 1?

I'm annoyed as anything that we should've protected ourselves better for this transfer window. While I might not like it, when you look at timings, I can understand why the club may have been too cautious.

The summer was the time to show some faith and extend... but then we lost Ben. An ex agent who knows how to play the game (maybe whey Linton has gone, a very different skill set), so again.... extentuating circumstances.

We then could've had a go a month or two later.... then the Tommy Wright saga. Or a month or two after that.... Patricks illness.

Though we may all be annoyed and be miffed at losing our championship stars, when you start to look back, perhaps circumstances had a bigger part to play than we may now think.

4. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    OMG.........you keep looking at them and getting involved

IMO...........you need to Just ignore me if I upset you so much

5. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we were on Rotherham's place and all the players on 4 year deals you'd be screaming like a girl.
    Club can't win.

6. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember most people comments around that time were that we have the players but the manager is ****. I don't think anyone would have complained if during that run we had extended Conors contract and maybe winnals

7. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Obviously a range of views, i do recall many arguing it was the worst ever barnsley team on one end of the spectrum. And repeated suggestions Hourihane couldnt tackle or play in a 2.

Not that I subscribed to that thinking.

8. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It wouldn't surprise me if there were clauses in many of the players contracts that saw their weekly wage rise automatically following promotion. Reward for success as such. In that context they wouldn't need to sign or be offered a new deal to get the reward.

All we are discussing is pure speculation.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk