Underground Dance Music

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Terry Nutkins, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some of you might know that I have a passion for Dance Music.

I’ve always loved it and I know it’s not to everyone’s taste but it’s become a huge part of my life.

Back in the mid 90s, I got immersed in the culture of going out, I was out on for Wednesday through to Sunday. I’ve done some things that I’m not proud of but I wouldn’t change anything. It’s made me who I am, a bloke who likes a good time, who looks after his family.

I used to DJ many years ago around Barnsley and in Sheffield at Pre Parties for Gatecrasher in Sheffield. I then, at 23 started a family and had a 15 year hiatus away from Dance music. I’d stopped going out as much and lost the passion. I then about 5 years ago found a Facebook page which reignited my love for the music. I bought myself some decks and started to make mixes for myself to listen to in my car. Not long after, I was invited to do mixes on radio stations.

From then I bought some equipment to start making my own music. It’s a passion, it’s a hobby, it’s something that’s a challenge and it’s creative. There’s nothing more humbling than hearing a big name DJ play your tune you’ve made at home to 5000 people in South America.

In the last 3 years I’ve started an events company which has put on nights with some of the worlds biggest DJs, in 8 weeks time ive got my favourite DJ, John Digweed for the second year running at Mint Club in Leeds. Last year was amazing, the best night ever and this good Friday the same again. To be able to play on the same bill on your own night is surreal.

Along with the events, I’ve started a record label which goes from strength to strength, and I’ve had Releases on a plethora of labels.

All because of one click on the right page on Facebook which reignited a passion I had years ago.

Moral to the story is, it’s never too late, be creative, have fun, we’re never too old to do whatever we want in life. We only get one gig, you ******* Reds.

2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Was it from when you first saw my dancing feet with wrathy on the overlap?

John Peachy likes this.
  3. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe so mate. Such an influence.

Along with Tommy always being high.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  4. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Breaking my BBS hiatus for 10 seconds to say 'Amen, brother.'

Kettlewell, Chef Tyke and Merde Tete like this.
  5. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not blowing smoke mate, but your story is one which is doubly inspiring. Kudos my good man.

Kettlewell and ark104 (v2) like this.
  6. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Top story Mr Nutkins, and very inspirational to us in the 40+ club.
    A few years ago, I worked with a partially sighted chap, true story by the way, no pillocking, who was 49 years old and wanted to do an Open University degree in nursing.
    'Go for it', was my advice, 'But I'll be 54 by the time I qualify, it's a five year course' he said. 'And if you DON'T do it, how old will you be in five years time?' I replied.
    He took that on board, did it and fulfilled his dream and still brings me a bottle of wine every Christams telling me I was his motivation.
    Wish I had his motivation. The blind old *******!!!
    ...let me'sen down at the end there dint I.

7. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its true though mate. There's a train of thought that motivation comes from within, which it does, but being a positive influence on another person is massive. Your story is a fine example.

I know the OP was removed from my usual postings. I'm a piss taker by trade, but its always said in jest. I'd much rather have a laugh in life than worry about deadline day or formations of the under 23s.

You ******* reds and George Spicer.

8. Ripper

Ripper Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One of best atmospheres I’ve ever been in, was at Gods Kitchen in Birmingham when Carl Cox walked on stage. Fecking unbelievable my hairs stand on end and I get goose bumps just recalling it in my mind. Met some brilliant people from all over the country, been retired from the scene for about 10 years now, bowed out with sensation white in the Amsterdam arena, still in contact with quite a few people from back then, loved it back then, looking back now though I should probably have died more than once.

9. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Send me a message on Facebook mate. Last Good Friday I got 600 in Mint. Average age of ticket sales was 35+.

It was like the 1990s. No phones = brilliant atmosphere.

Get those shoes back out mate. Best thing I ever did.

10. casual tyke

casual tyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I could probably do with getting some advice from you because I’ve just started helping out getting a new underground club night in Leeds off the ground.

I remember seeing Jon Digweed on the Northern Exposure tour at Keele University in 1997. He was supposed to be playing back to back with Sasha but he was ill that night so Jon Digweed ended up doing a 5 hour set on his own. It was a really good night (from what I can remember). I think I might have to get a ticket to your Mint Club night if I’m not working.

Terry Nutkins and Merde Tete like this.
  11. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Send me a message mate and I'll help all I can.

12. casual tyke

casual tyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks... message sent,

13. Nog

Nogger Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair play mate! What's your night called?

I've been DJ'ing & producing Hard House for the last 15 or so years, playing up and down the country. I've knocked DJ'ing on the head now though but still into the production side of things and run my own label.

14. Geo

George Spicer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Wonderful! I used to love going to the underground parties in the 80s in New York and San Francisco.

George.

Terry Nutkins likes this.
  15. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  16. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hush Hush is the event name. Hush Hush Recordings for the label, Hush Hush Clothing for T Shirts and Hoodies.

17. Car

Carl Member

Health Trainer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Best way. I'm into house through to techno. I'm a/was a fair weather clubber though, most of mine done away from real life as it were (not sure i could succesfully combine them!) The odd festival or event is getting even more sporadic.
    Spent summer of 2007 in Ibiza; basically lived in Space, missus worked for azuli which were there Fridays, we love every Sunday, blagged a season pass for cream Thursdays, few cocoons, few dc10's the odd zoo trip and the odd chill out at defected on a Tuesday. Think i lost a lot of brain cells, but defo made a lot if memories!

Good luck with your night, sounds class. Been on a few journeys with sasha but unsure if was ever with digweed at the time. Always though about trying to produce some tracks but got as far as making a loop on ableton then forgot everything by time i went on it again so got the face on!

18. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes I remember underground dancing very well.
    We used to get off manriding conveyor - and all of us used to dance for miles all the way down Sharlston Plain - until we got tut transformer house - then we used to get tool bags out and then dance all the way onto the district.
    The lamps on our helmets used to give it that disco feel when we bobbed our heads while spinning around.
    Oh - we did so laugh.

19. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Although I'm into dance music, your story resonates massively with me!

My story starts pretty much like yours. Out on the piss every night but Tuesday for many a year before settling down and starting a family. The big love I had in my life though was the humble Horror film. I was obsessed with them and any money I didn't spend on ale, went on finding out the most obscure horror films I could find. Obviously when the family came along, I had to watch what I spent and the films went by the way side(and sold to pay for something).

Fast forward to about 4 years ago, and my body had broken down. I was left physically disabled and housebound. This had a massive knock on effect to my mental health and I was plunged into a huge depression. One night, I was planning a way to take my own life(I couldn't see any positive in living in the state I was in). You know when you said that one click changed everything? Well an accidental click on the TV remove was my changing moment.

Purely by coincidence, the TV flicked onto a channel that was showing "A Nightmare On Elm Street", which was the film that set off my love of horror. Upon seeing the film again, it took my mind off my problems and I was able to loose myself in the film, and the thoughts of suicide quickly went. The next day, I decided to email every horror fan site I could find to see if I could write reviews and articles for them. Eventually, 5 or 6 came back to me, and I never looked back. I now make a decent living writing copy and reviewing films for a number of websites and magazines and I now feel a sence of self worth that I didn't have when at my lowest ebb.

I was thinking the other night, that if it wasn't for my fat arse sitting on the remote, I wouldn't be here! Amazing how life works, isn't it?

monkey tennis likes this.
  20. Terry Nutkins

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wow mate, thats brilliant and incredibly touching at the same time. I'm a big believer in the theory that creativity makes us more positive in life, whether that be through writing, painting, music, acting, etc.

Sliding door moment for you mate, not only saved your life but enhanced it. Having a passion in music has definitely reignited my drive to do things I never thought possible. Granted it generally involves dancing and being p1ssed but I love it.

DJB likes this.