Villa to bid £5m for Roberts..

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Nogger, Jun 8, 2017.

1. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Based on what we have actually spent, next to nowt since selling Bree, Mawson, Stones, Winnall and Hourihane we have enough in the coffers to push things even at the risk of him walking for free should it not come off. I would be setting a starting price of 10 million. At some point the club have to understand that you cannot simply replace virtually the entire team each transfer window because as we know not all signings will come off and the one year where it doesn't work so well, we find ourselves in league 1 again.

Fair enough if you have strength within the team with people fighting for places, we simply do not have that at the moment. It would be for the greater good to reject anything but silly money.

2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

If I felt cheated by the club "year in, year out" I wouldn't go.

No one forces us to hand over our money.

So many people seem to have the board "worked out" yet do nowt about it other than hand over their money and call the people running the club "cheats" or "unambitious"

Only reason I can think for people not walking away is that they like bellyaching, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

scarf likes this.
  3. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or maybe it's just blind faith. Or the fact that they've been supporting the club before this regime and will do so long after it has gone.

4. fit

Faith in what? That the club is ripping them off every season?

5. fit

The "lack of ambition" thing isn't something that's been exclusively blamed on this regime.

6. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most apparent. Never have we have had so much and spent so little.

7. fit

Apparently.

8. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When have we ever brought in as much as we have in the last year? Since 31st May 2016.

9. fit

I didn't say we hadn't.

Poldarks on.

10. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Its not that easy to walk away from the club that is in your blood is it ....the club You've supported from being knee high...the club will be there long after Pat Cyrne walks away in some form or another ..but it doesn't make it right when from a playing point of view the assets are been stripped ( so to speak ) and sold off .even though we are a selling club it never sits easy with me
    Lets remember the club and the team are now two different businesses ..so which one holds all the money...might be a starting point

We are a selling club that in real terms, feeds back little investment either into the ground or into the playing staff ...It would be nice to hear from the club where they are aiming to be these coming years and how they intend to show ambition instead of settling for not getting relegated or fighting in the bottom end of the table...which we have seen too often over the years at this level , but thats the result that so often happens when the club settles for treading water year in year out...Yes we hear the sound bites that are wheeled out season after season and many are happy...settling for second best..Is there any wonder the club finds accusations laid at their door of lacking ambition when we dont learn from past mistakes....has ive said in a previous post ..it divides the fan base ...look around the ground every match day theres empty seats galore....i guess a lot of those that sat there over the years voted with their feet and stay away because theyve got fed up of the false dawns that weve witnessed over the years.
    The board have you over a barrel ...you stay away the club you love folds... you attend they take your money.....
    Maybe the ones who belly ache the most have seen it so many times and have a good point... although it can get tedious at times reading the same old chestnut ( my posts included no doubt ) those same folk have a point but can do little about it, as too many shoot them down without a counter argument and a logical answer to move forward together.
    As far as we are aware that theres no one banging the door down to buy PC out but then again whos just going to buy a team especially a team thats just been asset stripped.

11. fit

Far too many buying clubs for me.

12. fit

You keep mentioning empty seats, yet we averaged just shy of 14k last season.

Our attendances are reasonable if not massive.

13. shed131

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Home average attendance: 13,859 .........both sets of fans
    Average home fans: 11,838 ..think you will agree a lot of empty seats ( figures i quote are from Gordon Owens post taken from a previous thread )

14. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It depends doesn't it. Is our capacity 23000 or due to neglect is it actually more like 15000? If it is the former that is a hell of a lot of empty seats

15. fit

But that's nothing to do with people being disillusioned and not turning up.

Empty seats, empty terraces before the seats, whichever way you want to look at it or whatever you want to attribute it to, our current home attendances are better than our historical average.

16. shed131

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Depends how far you go back....there's no doubt in my mind that the club's attitude off the field of play contributes massively to the empty seats....even hecky is on record as saying things need to change in the board room. For too long we have been told the aim is to get stronger ....from where I'm sitting I agree with hecky....weakest we've been for years .....however if it's the case of getting stronger and that's the latest sound bite then all I can say is....You don't get stronger by selling your best players season after season and then having to keep assembling a new team from scratch

17. fit

I go back as far as 1978, the stats go back as far as the beginning. We historically average around 11k.

The fans have always ebbed and flowed to and from oakwell.

Football is an expensive hobby, and some people will only commit when they smell glory. If we gave tickets away people would moan about price of bus fair if we weren't winning.

Keeping our better players isn't an option. It never was and it never will be, unless we attract a moneybags owner.

We're not going to just keep doing well all the time, building and building. Some times you have to take a backwards step or two.

If someone told me in 1999 that we would make 4 Wembley appearances and a trip to the Millennium over the next 16 years I would have snapped their hand off.

For a club that "dunt wanner guwup" we've done more going up than going down in my 39 years of watching them.

All this "clubs attitude" is pie in the sky mate. It's just a figment of people's imagination. It's just some people running a professional football club. I doubt anyone knows any of them personally enough to have heard anything that would back up the whole "attitude" thing.

Merde Tete likes this.
  18. fit

As far as I know, all average attendances include away fans.

I agree it's a lot of empty seats, but I don't agree that they are empty because of people's disillusionment as you seem to suggest.

When was last time there weren't lots of empty seats at oakwell? 99-2000 season? Or odd cup game, local derby or must win game?

Over 25% of the whole stadium is made up by the north stand. How many times is that full?

19. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So all clubs are run with the same mind set?

20. fit

I don't know what their mindset is. You can only guess.