We gained 4 new supporters yesterday.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Goldthorpe-Red, Oct 14, 2018.

1. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been saying for a long time that the Eastern European population are a big market for the club to tap into.

Wouldn’t hurt to point out that our manager is from a town on the Polish border with a bridge straight into Poland over the river maybe.

It also wouldn’t hurt to integrate the community a bit either. Like you say, Bruce has done good work in Grimethorpe, it wouldn’t hurt to reach out to him and send a few complimentary tickets to encourage first time attendees.

I’m sure all is on the club’s radar.

It is also shameful and terrible how this family have been treated. But I’m not sure a majority don’t think they ‘should go home’ - I hope if they’re told to go home they’ve the fortitude to tell them that they are home.

I hope life treats them better and they convince a few friends to come down to matches as well.

2. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Duplicate

3. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Many on here were saying similar when we had Tomasz Cywka playing for us as a selling point to come watch us, but I don't think we ever tried. I can 100% see our new regime giving it a try though. Anywhere in tarn that those who aren't from Britain visit such as working men's clubs should be made to feel welcome by our club and persuaded with offers to come and watch us. Really embrace how tarn is becoming more diverse and get them down to the ground to cheer the players on with the rest of us.

Loved your story, you and the family should have a article about it in the Chronicle.

Kettlewell likes this.
  4. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Disagree. Would be nice for the club to send a letter or some such but a public article might make their lives harder from the wrong parties day to day.

5. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's brilliant, that. You Reds!

6. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Great story DR that’s what Barnsley is all about being down to earth and friendly .
    The people who are bullying them are not typical of the overall community and hope they understand this.
    We should start a tykes international branch imo which liaises closely with the club and other BFC supporters clubs.
    Would help with other likeminded fans who’ve e settled in or around Barnsley to get tickets and info and even family and friends visiting them .

7. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Has @YTBFC seen this post? Does anyone on here have any friends who speak Polish as that's a big start obviously. On the same theme, are there many Latvians and Lithuanians round Barnsley way? They're also footy mad in general. One problem is likely to be the cost, unfortunately. Many (though not all) Eastern Europeans work in minimum wage packing jobs, so the usual ticket price at Oakwell is likely to be beyond their means.

Kettlewell likes this.
  8. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Strange for Barnsley since Poles have been part of Barnsley community (miners?) for decades (Polish club used to be up Summer lane) Don't remember any problems in the 70s and 80s.

Quite few Poles and Romanians around us here in Le Marche. Great, friendly people and hard working.

*****!! inasmuch as quite a few of them speak Polish(Romanian) good Italian AND some English whereas I am still struggling with basic Italian.You only find out they are not Italian when you are chatting with them.

Seriously though -Not met a bad one yet (except for the Romanian t*at who had just been released from prison and committed a spate of break ins loaclly with a week of release - including our house whilst we were in UK). He was caught and deported before we even knew we had been burgled.
    Still you get the odd bad apple whatever, race colour or creed.

9. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With so much info being held electronically these days the club should be able to pretty much list all current active fans either by season ticket or internet one off match ticket purchases.
    Would it be worth offering new fans a free or almost free season ticket? Just for one season. What's to lose? At full price they aren't tempted to go and watch anyway so you've lost nothing. On the other hand if you attract maybe a 1000 with the scheme you might get a few hundred hooked into the club for subsequent years.
    Sprat to catch a mackerel.
    We need to work on those who aren't incentivised to go and those who only go once in a blue moon.
    I'm sure there's plenty of holes in the suggestion but we should be trying things out if we aren't already.

PLOBBY and Airon c redscue like this.
  10. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was brought up in Hoyland, there were many many Polish families there who had fled here during or after WW2.... I never met one bad one ever. I found them warm, respectful, friendly, funny, and generous too. My best boyhood mate married Sandra, she was from a Polish family...I often had times with them and they were fantastic people. My Dad worked at Rockingham pit he was on the face, he worked with quite a few Polish lads, he got on like a house on fire with them and loved .... one of them told him of what it was like for them in Poland during the war...I will not repeat the tales as they were truly heart breaking.

Kettlewell likes this.
  11. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  12. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Worked darn pit with Polish,Hungarian,Scottish .Irish,Welsh,Ukrainian,Italian,Geordie,plus other nationalities and obviously Yorkies and all have one thing in common, Salt of the earth

13. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Had a few pints in the Polish club- always welcome.

Shame people treat them in this way - glad to see good majority of Barnsley made them feel welcome.

14. BRF

BRF Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lovely to read that.

Kettlewell likes this.
  15. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Eyup pal, I sent you a pm a few days ago, did you receive it? Cheers

16. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably had there window's put in and property vandalised by feral youths who haven't got an ounce of work in them, here is a bloke and family who no doubt ( as many many pole's are) is a hard working man who is wanting to settle in, wanting to work hard and wanting to enjoy life. Good to hear about the families first trip to oakwell, I hope the darlings are caught, paraded around grimey and flogged. I also hope that they don't tar all with the same brush as those neandathols

17. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One of my best mates from school was Polish and a Barnsley fan. We went to a lot of games together, home and away, in the early eighties. Sadly no longer with us.