What contract is Styles on?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brush, Nov 21, 2020.

1. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who knows? According to CW there was interest but he chose to stay with us. Don't know about AM.
    My point is that, despite the gloom and doom predictions by people on here, we still have both players on our books. Dont forget all the scare mongering about how we were going to sell both of them.
    We might have had offers which we turned down. They stayed.
    "Gone in January" might happen. It might not. The fact that you state it as fact sadly demonstrates an unnecessarily pessimistic view of the club and its ambitions.
    I disagree with you. I think we're building right now and I believe that with this group of players we have some hope for the future. If we sell some at profit then we need to replace with at least equal quality......etc ....etc.... Rome wasnt built in a day, and neither will we be rebuilt in double quick time either.

Gordon Owen likes this.
  2. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really. ? Where have you been for the last umpteen months. Lots on here I believe. were begging for him. To start in all games. I certainly was. Given his showing in the few games in div.1. He was showing a quality beyond his years even then.

3. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We tied him down to a long contract in the summer. Along with Jordan Williams, Eliott Simoes (I believe) and extensions for Woodrow and Mowatt (although the Mowatt one was always in our favour).

Criticism in the past has always been levelled at the ownership (past and present) for not retaining our best players for any longer than a season or two, and then losing them on the cheap. The groundwork is being put in place now that this is no longer the case. We have a very good player in Styles who effectively has 4 years left on his deal, meaning he's either going to be here for a long time, or an incredibly large amount of money is the only way he's leaving.

4. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we get a bid from a Premier League club it's going to be very difficult to say no, both from the financial point of view and from standing in the way of his career. Ten million pounds for example, would go a very long way towards keeping the club solvent if there are indeed no fans through the turnstiles for the majority of the season.

BBBFC likes this.
  5. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Won’t get anywhere near 10m. Half it.

6. RastrickRed

RastrickRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I assume if there was a sell on fee due to Bury then that is now void? Regardless the kid has lots of talent but let’s see how he develops, good opposition players may work him out and they could identify a weakness, a weakness apart from height that I have not seen yet... best number 4 (potentially) since King Ronnie!

7. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I respectfully disagree. It's not about the player he is now or the player he'll be at the end of the season. It's about the player he'll be when he's 26 or 27. Which if he keeps developing at the rate he is, will be frighteningly good. It's a big "if" obviously, but I can see him playing for England if he stays focused and keeps progressing.

8. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    great post

Archey likes this.
  9. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I personally don't think it's about any of those things. I think it's about what the Club are willing to accept - especially when a player asks to leave. When a Club comes in and offers 5, 6, 7 x salary - which they can do in a heartbeat, it's only going one way. Clubs know this. We're a stepping stone Club. We're not even a Brentford, who can afford to play hardball. £5m for an Academy player who's cost us nothing and is asking to leave - the Club will do that deal. I don't think the price gets anywhere near £10m...especially in the current climate.

Django and DannyWilsonLovechild like this.
  10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    The one thing we do not know is whether there is a release clause its not hard to imagine a clause negotiated in the extension by an agent that says if a premier league side offers a sum of say £5 million ... -
    It may not be there as well of course I just dont know but we had previous form in this area.

11. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What you are saying is basically hypothetical as a player is only worth what a club will pay for him , therefore until someone actually approaches the club with an offer then its just your speculation & opinion as to what might happen , we will see .

12. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    yep agree, definitely hypothetical. but also based on how we've conducted our business, which thee are many examples of. I'd also put my house on there being a release clause in his contract

13. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And that's why being a Barnsley fan is mint. I love the fact that we're all over the place. Experiencing Kevin Donovan and Zeki Fryers makes you realise and appreciate what you've got with Callum Styles.

14. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You may well be right. I guess a lot depends on whether two or more clubs are fighting over his signature, and any possible bidding war.

15. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Players negotiate their contracts through their agents & can request things that suit them more than the club , otherwise they might not sign in the first place , a bit of give & take if you get my drift . It makes me smile when contracts get discussed , it always seems to be the clubs fault when the outcome does not suit the fans but unfortunately in the year 2020 the players hold most of the cards & they will try to negotiate a contract that suits their interests more than the clubs .

16. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    agree. don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at the Club. probably the opposite. I'm probably one of the more pragmatic fans. it won't be me frothing if he did end up going (undisclosed) for something in the order of £5m. I accept that in reality we have limited bargaining power. I think sell-on fees are something we can do well on, but it terms of negotiating transfer fees, I reckon it's summat we rarely hold the cards on.

Red CB likes this.
  17. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its always foolish to get too attached to any player at Oakwell...

Brush likes this.
  18. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolute wizard. I cannot wait to see what comes of his career. Hopefully with us!

Tyke_67 likes this.
  19. Spooky

Spooky Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would be nice of us to honour a potential sell on and give it to the new phoenix club. A couple of 100 grand could make a huge difference to a club that low in the pyramid and would be some great PR for us.

Tyke_67 likes this.
  20. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It would be a great gesture. I wonder if our owners have the integrity to do it though

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.