What do we do?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Genuine question.The club is getting battered from pillar to post for selling players.As a fan I would love to see a settled team that can grow together for 2 or 3 years but to do that you have to have a very good scouting system and fantastic coaching staff.We are very lucky because we have both.The problem now starts.We bring players in who we nurture and improve.The team gets noticed when it gets promotion, wins another trophy and does well in its first season back at Championship level.Its human nature that other clubs start to look at what Barnsley are doing.Teams like Luton,Partick and Forest Green do well in there own leagues and it draws attention.Teams like Barnsley then take the pickings from there success.Its called the transfer market or the food chain if you like.I know the subject has been done to death in different formats but to beat the club up for doing no different to other teams what do we do? Do we continue as we are and slowly but surely develop and strengthen as we go along or do we find players who nobody else wants and suffer probable relegation with non saleable assets in our team.I know what I prefer because the alternative fills me with dread.

BobT, Mido, JLWBigLil and 4 others like this.
  2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which other club sold seven/eight first team players in the space of twelve months?

wakeyred likes this.
  3. 1887 RED

1887 RED Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have never had a crop of players develop & become so saleable in such a sort space of time, with a bit of luck handing out 3 year contacts is going to solve the problem as long as we renegotiate contracts at an early stage if we unearth a gem, however if we have bought a load of ***** we're in bother #gibbs&flynn

4. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Melchester Rovers, early 70s, always kept Roy though....

shed131, Beercrate and Bossman like this.
  5. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Some people think that because we've sold loads of players we have loads of money. We may do, I don't know as I've not seen the accounts for the recent months and neither has anyone else, apart form club staff and the club's accountants. However, it's plainly obvious, to me at least, that we are using transfer receipts to supplement wages, which we obviously can't afford from our non-transfer income alone. Even then, we lose players because other clubs can offer higher wages, often with money they don't have. It's the madness of professional football.

People want us to get better players, tie them down on longer contracts, and to stop selling our best players. What a good idea! It's a good job there are people on here advising the club about that, because obviously nobody at the club would have thought of that otherwise.

6. SFOTyke

SFOTyke Well-Known Member

Retired (Early)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Southampton are a great example in the Premier.

They have had years where they have sold a wealth of talent for multi-millions, brought in some unknown talents, promoted from the Academy and still held their own in the Premiership that season.

RedAllOver likes this.
  7. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Listen to what Hecky's been saying - player sales have got us to where we are - from here on in, the number of player sales must reduce - to help build stability - but we have to be smarter - so either sell only when we have a replacement in place or let the contract run down because the trade off in selling would potentially be more expensive (relegation/reduced performance= reduced value of the rest of the team)

I worry some folk have been brow beaten into thinking that we HAVE to sell every valuable playing asset as soon as it is feasible in order to just exist, and anything else is a bonus - whereas IF and I mean IF there is this 'plan' in place then we are part way through the most difficult part - selling our best and favourite players to get to a slightly higher level and now we keep more players for longer. Hecky cannot keep having the side sold from under him mid season and be expected to be successful.

It isn't a binary choice between selling all our players and liquidation.

Connor and Sopwith Camel like this.
  8. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There you go then. Kept the crown jewel.

9. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Letting players contract run out is stupid. Sellings the way we move forward. I honestly can't see why people either have a problem with trading ourself up or don't understand the process at all.

Conan loads of clubs do it. A Madrid have traded there way up. Fact. Southampton have traded there way up. Crystal Palace did it years ago. Everton do it. Brentford do it.

Huddersfield almost changed there full team last season.

Isn't Ajax business model based on trade, with the start them young improve and sell them. They got to a European final last season with a super young team. Didn't Lyon trade and sell players a lot when they were winning the French league.

10. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye, but they brought in umpteen loan players...and according to Moanman that can't work either...

11. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That would be stupid to think that doesn't work. They got loans to run right through the middle of the pitch. Goalkeeper centre mid. Couple of attacking mids and a striker.

Watford did it a few years ago too.

Bossman likes this.
  12. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair I am irreplaceable tho :)

13. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The vast majority of those teams player purchases outweigh player sales or they still spend significant amounts. They use development to fund purchases to stop debt accruing not as an end in itself. If we are pursuing the latter policy it is a good one. As we discussed the other night to show this you woukd expect Targets to know reflect an increase in funds (as Southampton did). I haven't noticed this yet.

14. Hud

Huddersfield Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Its horrible watching what is happening as much as it's understandable.

15. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are they the not two options then?

Sign players who are good and for reasons not explained to anyone be forced to sell them despite them having contracts

Or sign ***** that is crap.

What happened to sign players who are good and keep them until their contract expires?
    Sign players who are good and when selling them reinvest in better to improve the squad?

Nope the only option is ***** or forced to sell. We might as well just save everyone time and give players zero hour contracts so we don't need to piss about with the faff of accepting offers when someone else wants them

16. OxR

OxRed Well-Known Member

Which other club managed to pay **** all for seven/eight players that no other club were prepared to invest in and nurture them into saleable assets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we can't afford the wages of players signed from none league then we are in serious trouble aren't we? If they need supplementing by multi million pound player sales then **** me Patrick and co have done an absolute awful job for the last decade

18. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You say 'pay **** all's but apparently we paid them so much that we couldn't sustain it and would undoubtedly go under without selling them. Apparently

Sopwith Camel likes this.
  19. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    We obviously can't afford the wages, otherwise our players wouldn't leave for higher ones! It's staring me in the face, and others too, but obviously there's others who don't see it that way. Anyway, can't be arsed to argue, beer time...

20. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a totally different argument. There is a world of difference between not being able to afford the wages we have players signed to and therefore being forced to sell them to get them off the wage bill and help cover the unsustainable wages of the rest of the squad and selling players because we would not be able to afford their substantially increased wage demands a year later when their contract expires.

Enjoy the beer