What happens if the public refuses to accept the cup as government?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SuperTyke, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As far as I'm aware Davidson can't be leader as she isn't an MP of the English HoP. So basically the Tories are screwed.

As an aside it appears Blairism/New Labour is dead thank goodness

Interesting now to see the PLP celebrating Corbyn , plus Chuka who would have banished Corbyn to the moon 6 months ago - principle free poor excuses for people of state

And those likewise on here who called Corbyn up hill and down dale yet now celebrate him bringing Labour into a winnable position at the next election - more faces than the town hall clock and a distinct lack of principle

Sent from the darkest recesses of a poisoned mind.

2. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Errrrr........Gordon Brown?
    I believe its a UK Parliament, only one of the union who doesnt have its own, but thats another debate.

3. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Possibly the best thing for Labour would be for May to struggle on for the next few months, make an absolute mess of the Brexit negotiations and lose a vote of no confidence while she is still in charge. They don't get the chance to replace her and have to face another election with her in charge *and* lots of public anger at her ineptitude. It would take them a long time to recover from that - especially now she is no longer the golden girl of Dacre and Murdoch.

With proper offensive, targetted campaigning and all the Labour "big guns" singing from the same song-sheet, even more of the Tory big names could be out. Rudd is a definite target, and even Boris Johnson, Jeremy Hunt and Michael Gove all lost around 5-6,000 out of their 2015 majorities.

Gordon Brown and John Smith were both Labour leaders while MPs with Scottish constituencies.

4. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    That was my point

5. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They would have to let a Tory mp to stand down to force a by election so they would parachute her into a safe Tory seat. Personally she's nothing to fear. She only did well because the SNP had been trying to force an indyref 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

6. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Davidson isn't an MP though, she's only an MSP. Gordon Brown was an MP.

7. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm sure the Tories are in utter turmoil, after this election, they have just sacked Mays advisers and now are going down a road of utter devastation by going into coalition with the DUP.
    This DUP are fundamentalist Christians, who believe that the earth is 4,000 years old and want creationism taught in schools as a scientific fact.
    They have well-known links with loyalist paramilitaries they have shared platforms with Billy"King Rat"Wright to show support for him Wright was the leader of the LVF one of the most murderous gangs of Terrorists ever to exist in Northan Island that gang of murderers were even too much for the UDA, UFF and the UVF former leader Ian Paisley also tried to start his own paramilitary gang The Third Force.
    Like I've said before the British Government are mediators in Northen Island and have not to favour one side or tother if the peace as to be kept, "Who knows what will happen if this coalition go's ahead "
    This Prim Minister as let the Torys down and most of all put the country in a state of an unpredictable mess before these Brexit talks start all because of her own ego.
    It can only get worse.

8. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One positive is the boost for the popcorn industry.

Exile likes this.
  9. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In my experience being in the good books doesn't last for long though.....just watch yer back !!

10. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You make a lot of interesting points here. As someone who leans to the left, I was very disappointed with the Lib Dems for doing a deal with the Tories. When I look back on it with hindsight, I'm not really sure what else they could have done. Certainly I don't think the electorate would have accepted them propping up Gordon Brown. Nick Clegg has been quite unfairly scapegoated for taking the only real option available to him at the time. The thing that irritates me most about the coalition is the Tories shafting the Lib Dems over electoral reform, allowing them a vote on AV rather than proper PR. And Labour siding with the Tories on this! As an aside, if we had PR now, we'd have a progressive alliance in power, without even needing the SNP's participation.

11. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The LibDems made a ridiculous decision to go into coalition with the tories.

Politically they were always going to take all of the blame and none of the credit. Clegg was out thought by Cameron on PR and has damned us to continuing with an outdated unfit for purpose electoral system.

They should have agreed to support the tories on a case by case basis and let them form a minority government.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

12. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Presumably the thinking was that by going into a coalition, the Lib Dems could get through more of their manifesto, and curb the worst Tory excesses. Had they agreed to support them on a case-by-case basis, we could well have ended up with a situation with very little legislation ever getting passed. The likely upshot of that would have been another election within a few months, and a likely Tory majority. They were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

Jimmy viz and DSLRed like this.
  13. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can see that argument and it has some validity. In that sort of agreement you have to go in with the approach of the tail wagging the dog or you will be eaten alive. You have to have aims/demands and be completely clear prior to any agreement that these have been agreed.

I'd see Clegg as the weakest political leader of his generation other than May. A politician not good at politics.

14. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)