Whenever there is a tragedy

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SuperTyke, Jun 14, 2017.

1. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I see the shameless Tory council leader Nick Pagit-Brown as blamed the residants for not putting sprinklers in, you just could not make it up.
    He wants a smack in't nooaz Pagit foookin Brown.

2. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Be careful you dont twist his words, He isnt blaming residents he is just explaining why a sprinkler system was not fitted and also pointing out that hindsight is wonderful afterwards. He said it wasnt considered because current advice was sprinklers were not important as the building was designed to contain the fire in the flat. Based on that and the fact that going into all the rooms of all flats to fit sprinklers is disruptive to all the residents I can imagine there wasn't a great demand for it to be done.
    There are tower blocks all over the country in both Labour and Tory areas without sprinklers so I think to have a go at the council leader over that is not really justified.

It appears the real problem was the external cladding - though this is still to be confirmed, and if so we need to understand how this was deemed suitable

3. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    link if it works.

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shameless-tory-council-leader-blames-10631544

4. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes I'd already read that and watched the video on the page. The Mirror can be just as bad as the Sun or Mail in creating headlines that dont really reflect what someone is actually saying.
    Dont get me wrong I am not saying he is blameless but if all the work done is in line with Building Regs he may well be. He was explaining why sprinklers were not really considered. There are tower blocks all over the country with no sprinkler systems - this tragedy could have happened anywhere. A better question is why the regulations dont require sprinklers and for that you need to look beyond local councillors

5. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Banner headline in one of to-days newspapers reads:

"Thirty years ago Britain turned its back on social housing.
    Profit mattered more than putting a safe roof over the heads of our poorest.
    It is a diabolical failing which shames our great nation...and may now have claimed
    many lives. We need answers. We need change."

It won't bring these folks back but IMO those at the very top re- MP's on the various safety Committees who failed to act on warnings/ reports, landlords who scrimped on safety, Councils who failed to carry out thorough checks ( re- no fire extinguishers) , appliance manufacturers who fit foam insulation, the District Network operator who do little to limit power surges and contractors who fitted inferior/ combustible materials and anyone else involved in what is now a criminal dereliction of duty needs to be held accountable for this tragedy.