Who should I vote for?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by OxRed, May 23, 2017.

1. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
  2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Not a great website tool. Very obvious what manifesto points are being pulled out and mentioned and which party they belong to, even using party soundbites in places, not good.

And it obviously omits the considerably weight that your constituencies likely result has and the potential for swing. Combined with a potential national vote likelihood which you may wish to counter or affect.

I'll never vote tory, but I cant vote labour this time round, and all other votes are a waste (especially in my ward).

For me, the choice on the ballot paper may as well be, would you rather be shot, or hung?

PLOBBY likes this.
  3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why can't you vote Labour?

4. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Corbyns stance (or complete lack of) on Europe

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or telling the truth then and lying for individual political gain now?

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wasn't that a result of him appeasing the Blairites in his party?

7. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  8. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    No. It was Corbyn being Corbyn. He doesn't care what the party line is he just does his own thing. Are you suggesting from your comment that he didn't really believe in the parties Remain stance? If so what does that say about his character?

9. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do not think Corbyn is a Inatural remainer. I think he allowed himself to be convinced that remaining was the lesser of two evils for the nation and would stop the extreme right wing elements of his party ripping it apart. I think given this he sold it as much as he could. The percentage of Labour supporters voting remain was high much higher than conservative voters so he sold his position well. It shows him willing to compromise his ideals for what he believes is the national good. Isn't that what you want from a leader?

I voted remain because I thought it was best for the country but personally and politically I don't particular believe in it.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  10. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He appeared at more remain campaign sessions than any other remain campaigner. 66% of Labour voters voted remain.

Not sure what he was supposed to do and what's done is done.

11. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    How can we truly know what labour supporters voted re Brexit. The majority of the North which is usually of a Labour persuasion voted Leave did it not. What I saw was a pathetic attempt to promote Remain so no I don't believe that he did it well. If as you say it shows him willing to compromise his ideals for the national good, I could swallow that if I saw the commitment from him but I don't. If the party is a broad church of views then the right wingers have a right to be there. Any extremists are in the wrong party and that goes for right or left. I speak as a non-member by the way and if the Labour party are truly interested in power they need people like me to vote for them.

12. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's a democrat. For example, his personal opinion is that we should scrap Trident but Labour Party policy is not to do so. Therefore the manifesto he is standing on reiterates this commitment.

13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I expected him to campaign for what his party wanted, to remain. I'll be at a wedding on Saturday. The expression on my face will be a better indicator of my want to be there though. That was true of Corbyn. he didn't want to do it, he clearly didn't believe in remaining, so did untold damage to the campaign.

And 34% of Labour followers voted leave. The EU message from Labour was incoherent and tepid which has only worsened post the event, and Sadiq Khan was begging Corbyn to appear with him in London to campaign, nothing til the very death and it was appalling when he did. Also, his call to trigger article 50 just hours after the result was naïve at best, utter lunacy at worst. My belief is he's ignoring the issue of Europe as he has little idea what to do with it. So he'll carry on preaching to the converted on the things he has been defying his party over for decades.

But the EU is the main reason I'm not voting Labour. They are very much going along with the Tories and that's not remotely good enough. I suspect because they are scared of how many voted leave in their heartlands and if the Leave vote shifts to Tory, Labour will be totally wiped out.

You asked, that's my main reason. Europe.

As a side note, just for information really, locally, Harriet Harman is the MP. Her literature is so neutral and independent looking its almost amusing. Basically says she's always worked hard and she'll keep doing that, that's it, nothing on a national scale or of policies. And the predominant colour of flyer in windows round here is yellow. This is a Labour stronghold with a majority of 26,000. Will be very interesting to see how much of that holds up in a few weeks time.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm also a non member and have only voted Labour once and that was for tactical reasons but hes won me over. By not dragging things into the gutter, by not responding to personal insults and by having some policies that if implemented can make a real difference in people's lives.

15. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The nation voted to leave the EU. You may think that's right or wrong but political parties must respect that. It's completely correct to move things forward. It would be a complete betayal not to do so. The discussion has to be about how we leave. The hard Brexit the tories will push us into or a more productive exit.

The conservative party has attempted to make a national election about a vote that has already taken place for political gain. Europe is not an issue. The majority has spoken.

16. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I disagree. There are so many who voted based on lies or ignorance and are unaware of dramatic ramifications and who have expressed great regret at their decision.

I'd even argue the complete lack of a Labour plan for exiting would be even more disastrous than the Tories and to ignore it completely when its the most fundamental threat to our nations future is incompetent and loose.

Farage never moved on til he got what he wanted at the cost of a nation.

If you want to give people a choice to leave without facts, fine. You absolutely must give them the final say on the deal that goes forward, a second referendum.

we shouldn't have had the choice anyway as the people have insufficient information to make a choice that was whipped into immigrant fear and xenophobia.

So I'll not move on from this gross injustice based on fabrications, and I will exercise my right to vote for neither of the two main parties who played a fundamental part in the said injustice.

17. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm in a similar position to you if I'm honest. If all things were equal and nothing was to change I think the Labour policies are better for the future of the country - or at least for more of the population. However, I think Brexit is going to be such an economic disaster that we might need someone very strong to stand up and tell people what the ramifications are going to be if we continue. Hardcore Brexiteers could easily brush it off as "Project Fear", but I can't see how we can get out of it without a major loss in GDP (10-15% or so) and a serious loss of jobs in many areas (I think the final count could be in the millions directly and indirectly). I hope I'm wrong, but I'm putting my DR plans in place now rather than waiting to see how bad it will get.

Places like Broughton (Airbus) and Sunderland (Nissan) could be devastated and I have no hope for the Tories doing anything to help those people most affected if that happens.

18. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You've lost me. Surely Cameron was to blame for the poorly worded & conceived referendum.
    If you want to turn your back on what was a poorly thought out, poorly drafted referendum, but one that did have a reasonably clear result, (if you call 52% to 48% that), then the Lib Dems are the party for you. Looking at the polls they need all the support they can get.
    Corbyn cannot be blamed for the referendum, there have been and will always be pro-europeans and eurosceptics in both parties.
    The Labour position is clear. Use Brexit to keep the trade deals, keep jobs & workers rights, not turn us into the Costcutter Inc of Europe.

19. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes, I blame Cameron for calling the referendum. Corbyn and Cameron for their dreadful campaigns during. And post the result, Labour and Tory parties for aligning with extreme choices which make no economic sense and weren't on the ballot paper.

As said before, with this voting system, my vote is wasted as a 26,000 labour majority in my ward is as safe as you're going to get.

If I vote i'd likely vote Lost Deposits or Green. But as its pointless, I'm likely to sulk in a corner and see what country I choose to live in 18 months hence ;-)

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you discounted every vote that took place due to people voting based on lies and ignorance then there would be a lot of disregarded elections. The front page of Tbe Sun yesterday for example blaming Corbyn for the Manchester bombing someone out there will be influenced by this outright lies and the numerous other lies told about him.

We may not like the democratic process of it provides us with results that are unhelpful but it has to be respected. I voted to remain but the majority did not. That has to be respected. Whatever their motivations that is what democracy is all about

I agree we should never have been given the choice but we were and you cannot put the genie back in the bottle. I fear for the future outside the EU. A further referendum what do we elect politicians for? it's unlikely if the tories are doing tbe negotiations that there will be alternative options on offer. As they are clearly arrogantly pushing for the hardest exit possible.

Of course the Labour Party have a strategy for negotiation.

I don't blame you for voting for a non major party I have for the last 20 years. At the same time if this results in a conservative government which pursues a damaging hard Brexit then you have to be willing to accept that.

The tories want this election to be about Europe. It isn't. It's about what future we want.

Redstar likes this.