Why Barnsley?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by wakeyred, Dec 20, 2017.

1. bra

bradgatetyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where do you get those figures from? 300% profit in 5 years? You should explain that one.

The only way we'll become more profitable is by investing in the playing side and getting promoted to the PL, staying there and getting the financial rewards the PL brings. But there are plenty of other clubs trying to do exactly the same so the very good chance isn't that very good. Huddersfield, Bournemouth and Brighton have done it but Wednesday, Wolves, Bristol, Cardiff, Villa and others are trying the same and they can't all go up.

2. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sunderland finished bottom and took £100m last season, relegated Newcastle got £40 million in parachute payments 100+40+40+40= £220 Million minimum for one season in the prem if you spend 50-60 million to get there your profit would be more than 300%.

3. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    exactly,theres still plenty of other clubs with a lot more money to splash than barnsley and most of them arnt getting into the premiership anytime soon..if only it were as easy as investing 50 million and getting promoted eh?...the way money is shafting the sport we needed this takeover and any potential investment to simply have a better chance of staying in the championship and avoid relegation to the 3rd div.

4. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Correct mate. Granted there have been relegations and administration too, but we have always bounced back despite the growing disparity in riches.

As they said yesterday, we need help with what we're doing and it's very exciting now it's here.

Metatarsal likes this.
  5. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They seem pretty level headed with relatively modest expectations so I doubt taking on a load of debt with a club would have been appealing to them.

6. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh the irony...

7. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pretty simple in my eyes.

Only team in the town(or city in their minds)
    Balanced books
    Lean staff
    Good coach
    Loyal passionate fanbase
    Good stadium and facilities
    Mass of land to devlop around tha stadium
    One step from the millions of the premier league
    Aready competing on limited budget
    But of extra help and we can be challenging for those prmier league millions and a huge roi for years to come.
    And i think they can see the town is crying out for a successful football club a d they want to tap into that

8. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    But if you spend that and didn’t get there the consequences could be catastrophic

9. bfc

bfc1001 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  10. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed, I;m sure we'll only see a modest increase in spending, but if we got in a good position next Christmas (assuming we stay up!?!?) I wonder if they'd be tempted to spend a bit....

11. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yes I think they would IMO because as an investment it would be the sensible thing to do.
    Something on similar lines as 96 /97 when they brought John Hendrie in, not over the top but significant.

12. RedInBlackrod

RedInBlackrod Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would be very happy if the first step was a few sensible signings in Jan that keep us up and push on next season for mid-table mediocrity :)

13. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yep I feel the same, staying in this division is a big achievement this season imo. My quote was in answer to wakeyreds hypothetical question I wasn’t getting all billy big b*****ks.lol

RedInBlackrod likes this.
  14. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I honestly believe the ultimate target is the Premiership. Article in today's Mirror is headlined
    "We'll Tyke Club to top". It goes on to say that the new owners are targeting a return to the top
    flight and they believe it can happen without spending massive amounts of money.
    The Consortium headed up by Chinese billionaire Chien Lee reckon they have a chance of reaching
    English football's top table again with only moderate investment.
    Lee and his co-investors have paid around £20 million to buy an 80% share in the Club.
    Paul Conway who will be co-chair with Lee at Oakwell said " Huddersfield got to the Premier League
    with a proper but sensible business plan. They didn't do anything crazy and our goal is to grow the same way."
    We've heard most of that before, but that's the first time I've seen one of the new owners come out and confirm
    a desire to get to the Premiership. Mr Conway has said that when they first looked at Barnsley it seemed too good to
    be true. Since the groups plans were revealed it appears to be the same from a fans perspective.
    If they are true to their word and are able to maximise our potential both on and off the field the sky could appear to
    be the limit.

15. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s obviously the best way to do it, not getting ahead of myself though, there’s 15 other clubs at least trying to do the same, maybe in the next few years the wind will blow the right way for us like it did for Huddersfield and the odd other club over the last 20 years or so.

Rather than being an improbable scenario it is at least now something that wouldn’t be completely outside the realms of possibility. Will still need a lot of things to fall into place at the right time.

wakeyred likes this.
  16. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think he's in it for just the footy, he's a tourism magnate. Yorkshire Mining Museums bumhole will be fizzing.

17. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree totally.... the arcade that runs from Eldon street to market hill would make a great Chinese quarter ...would have thought by now the council would have picked up on the connection and done something about it.... that said Norwich union have too much of a say in bsly town centre...plus too many private companies owning what once belonged to the town and bsly council up to the 60s.... Donny gate taking place in Barnsley....never.....lol

18. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, my dad supported Barnsley from 1936 to his death in 2004, he was lucky to see them at Wembley in 2000 - my two lads went to The Millennium in 2006, Wembley in 2008 and one went to Wembley last year for the Playoff final.

Metatarsal likes this.
  19. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Hong Kong is anything to by expect to see rows and rows of Swarovski shops in the near future to cater for the Chinese market! Seriously though, there's plenty of Chinese with some serious coin and hundreds of millions who know about Hudson Taylor and there's a huge market for tourism from China:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-shops-29-million-travel-abroad-a8009266.html

I expect Barnsley FC to be used as a carrot to bring more tourists from China and visa-versa with Hudson Taylor.

20. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, and this might be the carrot to Barnsley Council - build a Hudson Taylor Centre (possibly with a decent modestly sized hotel) and we'll sell you our share of the ground. The Cardigan Club site would be a good start - right in the Hudson Taylor Quarter. Not sure where the Indian bit comes into it though (unless the guy just wants a play thing)?

Shy Talk likes this.